U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 10:55 PM

1,642 posts, read 629,711 times

Advertisements

PhxBarb -- I got your message but my computer has been misbehaving ever since the thunderstorms we had yesterday. I don't think my reply went through. But I will keep watching to see if we can have an AZ get-together -- would be fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 12:15 AM

8,761 posts, read 9,832,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I sent you both a DM. Hope this works !!!
Got it and answered.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:31 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
We ordered a sliding drawer for a cabinet from Lowe's last week. The large shipping box it arrived in was printed with a puppet theater, puppets and tickets to cut out. What a fun afternoon the grandkids had coloring everything and we made a makeshift curtain of bubble wrap for them. The stories the kids made up were a great glimpse into their minds and had us laughing so hard.

The grandkids didn't want to go to the grocery store with there parents and asked if they could come over to our house instead. An impromptu visit and a box made for one fun afternoon. I'm glad I hadn't read and heeded the article that living closer than 10 miles away from kids/grandkids might make me unhappy.

Who knew Lowe's not having we wanted in stock would be a good thing, I sure didn't think so at the time. I've been having good things happen when I'm not looking for them. There's a lesson there I think.

Chat Thread-image.jpeg

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-20-2015 at 07:00 AM..

Old 10-20-2015, 09:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We ordered a sliding drawer for a cabinet from Lowe's last week. The large shipping box it arrived in was printed with a puppet theater, puppets and tickets to cut out. What a fun afternoon the grandkids had coloring everything and we made a makeshift curtain of bubble wrap for them. The stories the kids made up were a great glimpse into their minds and had us laughing so hard.

The grandkids didn't want to go to the grocery store with there parents and asked if they could come over to our house instead. An impromptu visit and a box made for one fun afternoon. I'm glad I hadn't read and heeded the article that living closer than 10 miles away from kids/grandkids might make me unhappy.

Who knew Lowe's not having we wanted in stock would be a good thing, I sure didn't think so at the time. I've been having good things happen when I'm not looking for them. There's a lesson there I think.

Attachment 159851
Thanks, I needed to hear that again. I've heard it before but keep forgetting it. Sure gives a person some hope!!

Old 10-20-2015, 09:53 AM

Does anyone here have a thyroid problem?

I am wondering for those of you who do, have you noticed a big change in moods? One day I am filled with anxiety and lots of other emotions; the next day I am calm and think all will be fine. This is really driving me nuts. I like the calm personality and I want more of it!!

I'm seeing an endocrinologist mid-December and hope there is a medication that will help this swinging mood change I'm having.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:28 AM

705 posts, read 808,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Does anyone here have a thyroid problem?

I am wondering for those of you who do, have you noticed a big change in moods? One day I am filled with anxiety and lots of other emotions; the next day I am calm and think all will be fine. This is really driving me nuts. I like the calm personality and I want more of it!!

I'm seeing an endocrinologist mid-December and hope there is a medication that will help this swinging mood change I'm having.
I am hypothyroid and take Armour. We recently added generic Wellbutrin XL to help with my fatigue. It is doing the trick. This may be something you want to think about it. I believe it helps with my mood too. It is an antidepressant, but, I've had no side effects.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
I am hypothyroid and take Armour. We recently added generic Wellbutrin XL to help with my fatigue. It is doing the trick. This may be something you want to think about it. I believe it helps with my mood too. It is an antidepressant, but, I've had no side effects.

I am already on an antidepressant/anxiety pill, have been for many years. This "new" swing in emotions seems more pronounced, not sure if it is truly from the thyroid or if it is situational.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:52 PM

22,606 posts, read 12,478,542 times
I hope no one minds if I change the topic for the moment ...

I was just thinking about stores I used to love and don't like anymore. #1 - IKEA. Personally I think most of products they sell is cheap and inferior. The furniture (which you mostly have to assemble yourself) is c r a p. Now IKEA does have some good aspects. The self serve restaurant is quite good - consistently - and a nice very inexpensive place for lunch. When I do shop at IKEA it's to buy stuff like drinking glasses, microwavable dishes and hand towels. Oh, they're pretty good for votive and tea light candles. I really don't like the fact they configure the store in such a way you have to take a "tour" of the whole place just to get to the check out registers.

#2 - Trader Joe's. Very friendly staff, free coffee and product tasting station, unusual food offerings. What's not to like? My main complaint is that in the last 12 years so many of my favorite products have disappeared completely. Things like tuna in panang curry sauce or Asian rice crackers. Their prices have been creeping up. On the positive side their cheese selection is good as is the condiment selection. I think their frozen meats, poultry and seafood is really second rate though. I never buy those things at Trader Joe's.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:50 PM

20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I hope no one minds if I change the topic for the moment ...

I was just thinking about stores I used to love and don't like anymore. #1 - IKEA. Personally I think most of products they sell is cheap and inferior. The furniture (which you mostly have to assemble yourself) is c r a p. Now IKEA does have some good aspects. The self serve restaurant is quite good - consistently - and a nice very inexpensive place for lunch. When I do shop at IKEA it's to buy stuff like drinking glasses, microwavable dishes and hand towels. Oh, they're pretty good for votive and tea light candles. I really don't like the fact they configure the store in such a way you have to take a "tour" of the whole place just to get to the check out registers.

#2 - Trader Joe's. Very friendly staff, free coffee and product tasting station, unusual food offerings. What's not to like? My main complaint is that in the last 12 years so many of my favorite products have disappeared completely. Things like tuna in panang curry sauce or Asian rice crackers. Their prices have been creeping up. On the positive side their cheese selection is good as is the condiment selection. I think their frozen meats, poultry and seafood is really second rate though. I never buy those things at Trader Joe's.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
Interesting, not so much of a rant. I never liked Ikea but I used to like Trader Joe's. I don't have either nearby anymore but still I take a long ride to TJ's every once in a while. They just don't have the things I used to like anymore. But they were always changing the items they carried anyway so maybe it's worth the drive back there. As it is now, there is a lot of interesting food available in the regular grocery stores so maybe there's not such a need to travel all the way to TJ's.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:18 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times
That's probably why I can keep my grocery budget in line. If I want to get anything like Trader Joe's or Ikea, I would have to drive 70 miles. The grocery stores close to me are 9 miles. That's a better drive for me.

The only time I will drive to Fargo is when my brother, sister and me really want Sushi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement