U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 12:25 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,377,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I really enjoyed talking to Deelighted yesterday. Let me tell you, she is one gutsy lady. She knows what she wants and goes after it. I feel like a wimp cause I keep waffling back and forth between this and that.

As for the envelope system, I never have any cash. It all goes straight into the bank(s) via internet direct deposit so I never see it. I think keeping it out of my hands is a very good thing.

My retirement money is direct deposit also, but my credit union is not that far and I can use ATM machines to get cash. But I am in the habit of not having cash, I use my debit (cash) card for purchases. However, when I know there is not enough money in my account to cover, I pull out the credit card, a lot more often than I would like to.

I've learned quite a lot lately and I will get something going soon, tho not definite exactly what that something is yet. At least there are choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 01:50 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,423,871 times
I only use cash, except for gas. I feel it keeps me in line. Maybe that's the same as the envelopes. I do pay certain things auto debit, like the electric, phone and insurance. I am a huge DR fan, though, and learned a lot from his radio shows.

We have a mason jar on DH's desk. 40 bucks goes in every week. It is our school and prop tax jar, and also usually makes enough for one load of heating oil.

Dee and AZDB, have a wonderful time!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2015, 03:51 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,575,326 times
I don't keep physical envelopes. My check is direct deposit also, but I deduct my real expenses from my checkbook when it is deposited, regardless when they're due. That gives me an idea of what's left. After that usually comes donations (10%), then necessities, food/grocery items. I find I spend about $200 a month at the store. After that comes entertainment, which can vary. I'm working on making that a definite expense as what I don't spend can go into savings for trips, etc.

I haven't gotten it down to a science yet. I have to do a spreadsheet & have just been lazy. But, it is coming together slowly.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:28 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,377,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I don't keep physical envelopes. My check is direct deposit also, but I deduct my real expenses from my checkbook when it is deposited, regardless when they're due. That gives me an idea of what's left. After that usually comes donations (10%), then necessities, food/grocery items. I find I spend about $200 a month at the store. After that comes entertainment, which can vary. I'm working on making that a definite expense as what I don't spend can go into savings for trips, etc.

I haven't gotten it down to a science yet. I have to do a spreadsheet & have just been lazy. But, it is coming together slowly.
Same here, meo. Once the SS check is in there, all but my rent check gets recorded (almost everything is auto-pay, I love that). Then when I get another deposit, I write my rent check. No envelopes here, either. I guess I don't want cash here..... too convenient to get it and spend it.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:05 PM

8,762 posts, read 9,835,116 times
[quote=CCc girl;41664812]I only use cash, except for gas. I feel it keeps me in line. Maybe that's the same as the envelopes. I do pay certain things auto debit, like the electric, phone and insurance. I am a huge DR fan, though, and learned a lot from his radio shows.

We have a mason jar on DH's desk. 40 bucks goes in every week. It is our school and prop tax jar, and also usually makes enough for one load of heating oil.

Dee and AZDB, have a wonderful time!!!!!!![/quote]

So far, so good! Dee came to my house for breakfast this morning and then we hit the road. We went to a bunch of yard sales and thrift stores. Had fun and bought a few things. She needs LOTS of things for her new place. We did some sightseeing around the Valley and went up to Jerome. It was packed up there with tourists up the kazoo so we couldn't even find a parking place. Just kind of checked things out and enjoyed the view of the Valley from up there. Had lunch and ended back at my house. We are both worn out. lol She just left to go back to the motel and we'll meet in the morning for breakfast and then she'll make the drive home. I am sooo glad she came up and we've had a good time.

I'd love to meet ALL my CD friends at some point. Plan on meeting another next Mon. too. Also planning a trip down to Dee's at some point. I love that part of the state. It's a lot like here.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:25 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,575,326 times
So glad you both had a good time. I love thrift store & yard sales shopping. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:44 PM

1,349 posts, read 865,998 times
Enjoyed myself enormously with AZDesertBrat and found a cute wicker shelf, a cool little metal tree that I plan to use as a mug holder, a few prints, a cookbook and a small basket.

The scenery around Cottonwood and the surrounding areas is gorgeous! Jerome is very similar to Bisbee with all the hillside buildings and the winding mountain roads.

AZDesertBrat has been the hostess with the mostest so I'm so very glad we got together and look forward to when she'll visit me!

Old 10-24-2015, 05:11 AM

705 posts, read 808,416 times
What a wonderful meet up!! I am so glad you got to meet and spend time together. I have done the same thing with some women from another board which has resulted in subsequent meet ups and wonderful friendships.

Marie

Old 10-24-2015, 10:30 AM

6,602 posts, read 5,266,487 times
So wonderful that y'all got to meet and have a great time. Arizona is sounding better and better to me. We are sitting here in south Texas under flood watches and warnings etc. Lots of rain. I hate rain.

I have cousins in Phoenix and they love it out there.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:34 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,423,871 times
sorry, OT.......

RIP Maureen O'Hara. You are a national treasure and forever have a place in our hearts. Have a good time meeting back up with the Duke and John Ford. We love you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement