Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 02:06 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
What a wonderful meet up!! I am so glad you got to meet and spend time together. I have done the same thing with some women from another board which has resulted in subsequent meet ups and wonderful friendships.

Marie

In my 17 years being online and participating in various forums I've met quite a few people. Each and every one of them was exactly as they presented themselves online and I have yet to have a negative experience. I think we can get a pretty good 'read' on the people we communicate with in forums on a regular basis and become 'friends'. And I really enjoy putting a face to a name AND knowing other folks 'real' names is nice too.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:11 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
So wonderful that y'all got to meet and have a great time. Arizona is sounding better and better to me. We are sitting here in south Texas under flood watches and warnings etc. Lots of rain. I hate rain.

I have cousins in Phoenix and they love it out there.
Been watching the news about the rain in Texas. Yikes! We aren't due to get any more for a while I guess. Looks clear for the next week and the temps are perfect.

Had breakfast with Dee this morning and then she took off for home. It's a long drive. I know she'll drive safe and lucky it's Sat. so the city traffic won't be bad at all.

I know you USED to like AZ, and talked about moving here, but I thought you changed your mind. You are fickle. I don't love Phoenix. In fact I don't even like it very much which is why I rarely go down there. I don't get to see my family...have 24 first cousins and their families down there!...but I tell them the road goes both ways.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:56 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
sorry, OT.......

RIP Maureen O'Hara. You are a national treasure and forever have a place in our hearts. Have a good time meeting back up with the Duke and John Ford. We love you.
Nothing's OT in the Chat Thread....

Whenever I think of Maureen O'Hara, two specific movies that I love come to mind: The Quiet Man and Miracle on 34th Street.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:07 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Nygal, that's part of what Dave says. If you can use the envelope system & faithfully put away X# of dollars & not touch it, that then becomes the start of your emergency fund. It's hard to start but once you do & then finally have the money for those car repairs, it's an enormous relief.
Back in the early 70's we were camping in Nova Scotia and spent some time in Camp Breton. Went to the bank and people had envelopes with pictures on them of appliances, cars, rent, home etc. They were individually cashing checks and putting money in the appropriate envelope. There was one funding need that didn't go into any envelope. That was their liquor money. They just left the bank and bought a large supply of.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
I remember my mother used to have a book that had pages of envelopes.
She bought a new book every year at Woolworths.

So this envelope system isn't new.

I googled vintage envelope budget books and found it.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:58 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Been watching the news about the rain in Texas. Yikes! We aren't due to get any more for a while I guess. Looks clear for the next week and the temps are perfect.

Had breakfast with Dee this morning and then she took off for home. It's a long drive. I know she'll drive safe and lucky it's Sat. so the city traffic won't be bad at all.

I know you USED to like AZ, and talked about moving here, but I thought you changed your mind. You are fickle. I don't love Phoenix. In fact I don't even like it very much which is why I rarely go down there. I don't get to see my family...have 24 first cousins and their families down there!...but I tell them the road goes both ways.
Yes, I am fickle!! LOL. But I don't like this weather here in Texas right now. It is so blah - gloomy during the winter. I figure as long as I have a super duper central air system, all will be great.

I have a cousin that lives in Litchfield - awesome house. I told her I was going to move in with her! She said sure.

I would have to wait until my mom passes. I can't see traveling back and forth. I read about others worrying about that and its not something I would want to do. Then I have to make sure all my pets are gone too. I would not abandon them either.

The rest of my family says yes - give them a reason to travel and visit.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:27 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
OK, this is just a rant. But comments are always welcome.

As you probably have read before I am in debt and have been trying to figure a way to get out of it. My last attempt was to call a credit counseling place (actually tried more than one) and found out to obtain their service I would need to pay them $50/month. Well that didn't sound good to me. I decided if I had an extra $50/month, it could be put to better use such as pay more than the minimum on bills, or put in savings account. So I decided I needed to be more responsible, etc.

In the past month, I have charged (no cash to cover) almost $1,000 on my car. Three replacement parts/labor for my car cost $169 and $439. Speeding ticket... lawyer $160. Fine (have not received that info yet but could be up to $250). And a couple of points on my license.

Geeze, I know the replacement parts had to be done, cheaper than a new car. Speeding ticket/lawyer my fault.

More rant...... why do car manufacturers attach certain parts together? My $439 was for a pulley and serpentine belt.....but attached to them was the fuel pump which was perfectly fine. So two faulty parts and one good part had to be replaced. Is that really necessary to attach them like that? I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla.

Bottomless pit.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:10 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
OK, this is just a rant. But comments are always welcome.

As you probably have read before I am in debt and have been trying to figure a way to get out of it. My last attempt was to call a credit counseling place (actually tried more than one) and found out to obtain their service I would need to pay them $50/month. Well that didn't sound good to me. I decided if I had an extra $50/month, it could be put to better use such as pay more than the minimum on bills, or put in savings account. So I decided I needed to be more responsible, etc.

In the past month, I have charged (no cash to cover) almost $1,000 on my car. Three replacement parts/labor for my car cost $169 and $439. Speeding ticket... lawyer $160. Fine (have not received that info yet but could be up to $250). And a couple of points on my license.

Geeze, I know the replacement parts had to be done, cheaper than a new car. Speeding ticket/lawyer my fault.

More rant...... why do car manufacturers attach certain parts together? My $439 was for a pulley and serpentine belt.....but attached to them was the fuel pump which was perfectly fine. So two faulty parts and one good part had to be replaced. Is that really necessary to attach them like that? I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla.

Bottomless pit.
All I can say is be glad you had the credit to pay for this. I'm on a forum where the ladies can't even afford to buy shoes for the job they finally managed to acquire.

Take a deep breath. Don't do those credit counseling places unless it is free. Don't even worry about your credit for now. Just continue to pay your bills, even just the minimum and put the rest into savings.

Take it day by day.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:17 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
All I can say is be glad you had the credit to pay for this. I'm on a forum where the ladies can't even afford to buy shoes for the job they finally managed to acquire.

Take a deep breath. Don't do those credit counseling places unless it is free. Don't even worry about your credit for now. Just continue to pay your bills, even just the minimum and put the rest into savings.

Take it day by day.
Thank you..... day by day is sometimes easy, sometimes not.

I don't think there are any free credit counselors.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:23 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,062 times
Last night was the gala. I wanted to share the good and the bad [actually, a few disapointments, but no bad]

It was at the Wyatt in Denver, very fancy. I wore my red dress and my high heels that I was afraid would be unconfortable but weren't. Many people commented on my jewelry. The food...OMG the food! I can't even pronounce the names of the foods we ate, but they were all so good.

I was happily surprised to see that a number of Autistic people had been invited and we were mostly assigned to the same tables at the back of the room. I do not think that we were put in the back of the room for any reason other than the hhopes it would not be too noisy for us and so that we could easily have access to doors to the lobby if there was too much sensory overload [ which, there was, at least 3 people had seizures]

I wanted to speak to a few people about the projects I am in charge of, to develop interest in donating, but really did not have much of a chance. People tended to be in tight little groups, not based on money I think, but because the many rich folk attend charity galas as a time to get together and visit with their friends. for that reason I was unable to speak to anyone.

I could only handle watching a little bit of the auction, but what I watched was way interesting. They had artwork by famous artists, a batman part complete with the batmobile, and even 10 African safaris, complete with private chefs!

We left just as the dancing started, and I discovered that even multimillionaires take their shoes off when their feet start hurting. Everyone was pleasant and I had a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement