U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 08:02 AM

22,606 posts, read 12,478,542 times

Advertisements

The Fall foliage has reached it's "peak" in my neck of the woods. The weather has been unusually warm for this time of year ... well into the mid and upper '70's all week. Yesterday we had drizzly rain all morning. This morning it's overcast.

I've gotten back yesterday to my genealogy and family tree stuff again. It's a "on again off again" hobby of mine. I'm building a family tree online. Back in April I sent a sample of my DNA to a business called FamilytreeDNA. No surprises about my Eur-Asian ancestry; but a few distant cousins of mine had their DNA tested and the tests confirmed we were indeed cousins (they are the ones who encouraged me to join FamilytreeDNA) - but I knew that already we share a common Great-Great-Grandfather who was born in 1796.

One of the few regrets of my life is that I did not speak to my great uncles and aunts and other older relatives 30, 40 years ago about our family history. I wasn't that interested in it back then, as most young people aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 08:33 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,759,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
One of the few regrets of my life is that I did not speak to my great uncles and aunts and other older relatives 30, 40 years ago about our family history. I wasn't that interested in it back then, as most young people aren't.
That's a regret I share although my parents never spoke of aunts and uncles of theirs so I don't know if any were alive when I was old enough to talk to them. One of my grandfathers died in WW II and the other I only saw twice when I was very young. Since I was raised in the military I very rarely saw my aunts, uncles and grandmothers. As for my parents, they've been dead for 25 years. Too late all the way around.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:41 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Quote:

This is one of my regrets also. I was in Asheville, NC a while ago at a welcome center and there was an older woman visiting from England. We were chatting and I told her my gmother & gfather were both born in England and when she asked where in England I was stumped - no idea. Very embarrassing - felt I should have kept my mouth shut.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:01 AM

19,582 posts, read 21,079,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
This is one of my regrets also. I was in Asheville, NC a while ago at a welcome center and there was an older woman visiting from England. We were chatting and I told her my gmother & gfather were both born in England and when she asked where in England I was stumped - no idea. Very embarrassing - felt I should have kept my mouth shut.
It's not too late to catch up. Ancestry.com offers a free trial membership (a week or two, I think). I took advantage of it and was able to go way back with my English ancestors. Most sources give birthdates, birthplaces, marriage details, burials, etc. it was fascinating, and you can simply decline membership when the free trial is up.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:05 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Quote:
I've gotten back yesterday to my genealogy and family tree stuff again. It's a "on again off again" hobby of mine. I'm building a family tree online. Back in April I sent a sample of my DNA to a business called FamilytreeDNA. No surprises about my Eur-Asian ancestry; but a few distant cousins of mine had their DNA tested and the tests confirmed we were indeed cousins (they are the ones who encouraged me to join FamilytreeDNA) - but I knew that already we share a common Great-Great-Grandfather who was born in 1796.

I've got some of my mother's and father's European heritage; there's a genuine "hero" in the lineage, interesting enough to follow. Husband's family only a tiny bit, his reclusive father has done a lot on it but won't share it (maybe some day).

Knowing "whence we came" can throw interesting light on who we are, physically (genes) and personality-wise.

Is it pricey to get your DNA tested? What is the range of what they can find out?

Old 11-06-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It's not too late to catch up. Ancestry.com offers a free trial membership (a week or two, I think). I took advantage of it and was able to go way back with my English ancestors. Most sources give birthdates, birthplaces, marriage details, burials, etc. it was fascinating, and you can simply decline membership when the free trial is up.
I just might do this. I was in Salt Lake City at a place that has the computers to look up your ancestors. I was in Salt Lake for work so I had limited time and found some things on my mother's side (Norway). Great place. I will trial Ancestry.com - thanks.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:02 AM

10,849 posts, read 8,193,902 times
Quote:
I just might do this. I was in Salt Lake City at a place that has the computers to look up your ancestors. I was in Salt Lake for work so I had limited time and found some things on my mother's side (Norway).
For those unable to visit SLC: there are LDS Family History Centers throughout the US that provide the same computer access as the one in SLC. If while visiting a Center you find a reference to a microfiche or microfilm record, a large number of these have been put into online databases and a staff person will help you look it up and print it out. If the data entry has not yet been put online, staff will help you put in a request to SLC for a hard copy.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:07 AM

3,522 posts, read 2,285,816 times
Quote:
I just might do this. I was in Salt Lake City at a place that has the computers to look up your ancestors. I was in Salt Lake for work so I had limited time and found some things on my mother's side (Norway). Great place. I will trial Ancestry.com - thanks.
I've also visited the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and agree that it's fabulous. You can also access most of their files at www.familysearch.org and it's free.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I've also visited the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and agree that it's fabulous. You can also access most of their files at www.familysearch.org and it's free.
Thanks!!!!!!

Old 11-06-2015, 07:25 PM

20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
I had my DNA tested through 23&Me about two years ago. It was $99. Ancestry.com does it for the same price. There are sales when they do it for $79.00. Males get more out of it but females can find out quite a bit too. I don't understand all the scientific DNA ins and outs but there are some really smart people in the genealogy forum who can interpret and explain it for you. They helped me.

There is NOTHING like going back to the old country and walking where they walked. It takes you out of time and place. Genealogy is like doing a puzzle only it's about YOU. It's like solving a mystery, like being a detective, like using your skills in history, logic, research, geography--and probably more. It's a challenge but it's so much fun and so rewarding. Every distant relative you connect with becomes a "cousin."

I have been to England with an online genealogy group. Just a few weeks ago I went up to the Canadian border to see where the other side of my family came from and I got to take a picture of the beautiful little church my grandparents were married in. So, yes, it takes you far and wide. There are enough aspects to genealogy to keep you endlessly occupied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement