Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 08:37 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I had my DNA tested through 23&Me about two years ago. It was $99. Ancestry.com does it for the same price. There are sales when they do it for $79.00. Males get more out of it but females can find out quite a bit too. I don't understand all the scientific DNA ins and outs but there are some really smart people in the genealogy forum who can interpret and explain it for you. They helped me.
I spent a little more money with FamilyTreeDNA ... a couple of hundred dollars, but I got a combination package that traced my Y-DNA (father's father's father's line) chromosomes to 67 markers and a "Family Finder" product that put me in touch with about 350 cousins. That was last spring. I upgraded it to include my mother's line - MtDNA - to pull in my mother's line as well. I now have names of about 500 cousins. I know what haplogroups I belong to and the migrations of my ancestors.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:48 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
For those unable to visit SLC: there are LDS Family History Centers throughout the US that provide the same computer access as the one in SLC. If while visiting a Center you find a reference to a microfiche or microfilm record, a large number of these have been put into online databases and a staff person will help you look it up and print it out. If the data entry has not yet been put online, staff will help you put in a request to SLC for a hard copy.
Cool!!

Old 11-06-2015, 08:54 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I just might do this. I was in Salt Lake City at a place that has the computers to look up your ancestors. I was in Salt Lake for work so I had limited time and found some things on my mother's side (Norway). Great place. I will trial Ancestry.com - thanks.
I think I actually prefer Family Search to Ancestry. I find it to be more focused, less cluttered, than Ancestry. And it isn't always giving you other people's trees that turn out to be not so correct. Google can also be handy. I have found old documents online just by Googling the name of an ancestor. And Geneanet in Europe is good for France and Germany, although it used to offer more without paying. I met a couple of cousins in France via Geneanet.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:51 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I do a lot of it now by just googling the name, date, and place. If they lived in a small enough American town in the 18th or 19th centuries there will usually be a little town history book online. Those are so much fun to read and you get your ancestor's dates and maybe even a little bit about them.

Clark (thanks for starting the genealogy chat) and with 23&Me I got the millions of DNA matches too but I think I'll do it again with Ancestry because they are more genealogy oriented and I think the people would be more interested in connecting up once they find out they have "cousins." I guess it's because I'm female that I can't differentiate between maternal and paternal lines and since there is no male relative to take the DNA test. I'm stuck with what I can get on my own. I wish these tests had been available even ten years ago before all my uncles died off.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:05 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Just to change the topic a bit: my house has been on the market for 4 months with 3 price reductions and not one offer, even low ball. There have been 30 showings, giving me an ulcer and continuous headaches from all the stress of people, pets, cleaning, etc etc. I am considering giving up, although the realtor said this is common in todays' buyers market.

I even buried St. Joseph statue (the second one) in the backyard, head down, facing the house.

Any other tips (myths or urban legends) anyone knows for selling a house??? Very discouraged.
What exactly is the realtor doing to promote your home? Is there any flaw like being near a landfill?

I have gripes with realtors who write up poor descriptions, not emphasizing what's unique and great about a home. And many take g-d awful photos. If you're not getting many to even come over and take a look, that's probably why.

Can you get out of the contract and interview some other agencies?

Old 11-07-2015, 06:09 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I had my DNA tested through 23&Me about two years ago. It was $99. Ancestry.com does it for the same price.
Getting DNA tested is new to me. So what did the test reveal about you, anything you didn't know? Do they keep a DNA "bank" of other folks' DNA and tell you what other families you're related to?

Old 11-07-2015, 07:52 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
What a misadventure. Yesterday I was supposed to fly from here to Denver then take an other airline to Sacramento to visit family and drive my wife and car back home to here in Missouri. It didn't happen that way.

After a one hour + delay we were finally loaded on the plane and began to take off when, after reaching lift-off speed, the pilot jammed on the brakes, did a U-turn on the runway and took us back to the terminal. A warning light had come on. After another delay we were reloaded and this time we actually took off. When we'd been in the air well over an hour and were about 40 minutes from Denver we dropped altitude and did a U-turn in the air heading back to the Branson airport from which we'd flown because the same light came on again. After another delay on the ground there and after I'd changed to a later flight from Denver to Sacramento we were loaded on the plane again and didn't make it off the ground once more due to the same light even after mechanics had checked the systems twice already.

The airline said they we're going to "try" to get another plane in to take us to Denver but I was fed up and had little confidence so I opted to take a flight to Denver on Sunday instead.

What a mess. Life in small town America! Have I mentioned that I already disliked flying? Now I think I despise it.

Anyone else have airline horror stories?

Old 11-07-2015, 08:23 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
. . .
Anyone else have airline horror stories?
No, but it was close.

We were in England when they closed down Heathrow due to some threat. When they restarted flights, they allowed NO carry-ons (not even purses, IIRC). We both had our laptops with us and we DO NOT check electronics.

Fortunately, they started accepting carry-ons the morning we were to fly home. But the organization at Heathrow was bizarre.

No one was allowed into the terminal except with an airport employee. So they kept huge crowds of passengers waiting, ill-informed, in the parking area. From time to time they'd call out a flight and bring those passengers in at a running pace. In our case, we barely had time to clear security checks and run - literally run - to our gate to make the flight.

But in the end, we did fly. WITH our laptops as carry-ons.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:20 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
I got detained and missed my flight back in the early 90's when things were just starting to get bad. I had been flying back and forth across the country several times a year to visit children and grands. I just had a backpack, my ticket, and no ID....... and my pocket knife. I was the grandma who could always get a splinter out

My husband had dropped me at the airport and left so I had to wait for him to pick me up after being held in a small office and asked the same questions over and over. I went back the next day with my driver's license. They charged me an extra $50 and let me fly, but it really wasn't fun after that.

Hope you have better luck and a good trip this time, Curmudgeon I know you were both disappointed.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:49 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

After a one hour + delay we were finally loaded on the plane and began to take off when, after reaching lift-off speed, the pilot jammed on the brakes, did a U-turn on the runway and took us back to the terminal. A warning light had come on. After another delay we were reloaded and this time we actually took off. When we'd been in the air well over an hour and were about 40 minutes from Denver we dropped altitude and did a U-turn in the air heading back to the Branson airport from which we'd flown because the same light came on again. After another delay on the ground there and after I'd changed to a later flight from Denver to Sacramento we were loaded on the plane again and didn't make it off the ground once more due to the same light even after mechanics had checked the systems twice already.
What an unfortunate experience! Sounds scary. Nothing like that ever happened to me.

In June of 2014 I flew down to Tampa to visit my older brother. The return flight was delayed because of a lightning storm. The 5 PM flight was delayed 2 hours, then another 2 hours, then another 2 hours. I was only a little worried because to midnight there are several inexpensive transportation options for getting home: the regional rail service (about $4) or a door to door limousine service (about $7.50) ... after midnight the only option is a city taxi (about $35 + tip). By a stroke of luck the limousine service had just expanded their service to 1 AM ... so I had nothing to worry about.

In my view the hassle of flights, airports, airport parking and/or transportation to an airport, etc. is only worth it if you are traveling at least 400 or 500 miles or more. Otherwise I much prefer driving myself, taking a bus or the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement