U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 08:20 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,352,605 times

Advertisements

We flew from D.C. to London/Gatwick. Bush the elder was apparently due to land about the time we were. We had to fly in circles for almost two hours, before we could land. That wasn't the bad part. It took almost three hours to get through customs and security, because all of the other planes that were held up, landed at about the same time. A traffic jam of people. We're were pretty tired by the time we took the train to Bath and checked into our Inn.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:40 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Just an update on my house: Nothing wrong with the realtor. And the photos are professional. And it's staged (lived in) as well as can be expected and am updating daily with some little things. May reduce the price once more.

After 31 showings, and on day 120, another realtor I called said "You might be dealing with the road in back, which is pretty busy." He also told me the house down the street sold after 204 days on the market (same back street). And the house next door (with a pool) sold way below market value a year ago.

So, it's the street. So I can't do anything about that. So today I am going to clean my (non self cleaning) oven. Need some fun !!!!

Old 11-10-2015, 02:52 PM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
So, it's the street. So I can't do anything about that. So today I am going to clean my (non self cleaning) oven. Need some fun !!!!
The last house took me a year to get sold
But, oh,that old silver lining thing....try to keep in mind how satisfying it is to get a 'project' job accomplished.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:10 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
I live in Syracuse, NY area. There have been six shootings (one fatal) in three days.
It seems there is a shooting every day. Looks like things are picking up now.
All in daylight.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:53 PM

10,851 posts, read 8,203,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The last house took me a year to get sold
We expect it to take that long for our house to sell because the unusual 3-level floor plan won't suit most buyers.
That suits us fine because we're planning a roughly 2-year transition to our new location and it'll be nice to have a place here for when we come back to visit family, or if the new place doesn't work out for us.

We know old listings get stale so we'll be doing a pocket listing for the first several months or so.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:25 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We expect it to take that long for our house to sell because the unusual 3-level floor plan won't suit most buyers.
That suits us fine because we're planning a roughly 2-year transition to our new location and it'll be nice to have a place here for when we come back to visit family, or if the new place doesn't work out for us.

We know old listings get stale so we'll be doing a pocket listing for the first several months or so.
Sounds like a plan!

I think a lot of homes do not quickly sell because folks have unrealistic expectations of what their precious castle will fetch on the market.

I have no plans to sell my house. It's my hobby. I've put so much work into it I frankly admit there is an emotional attachment. When I bought it 14 years ago it was beautiful but in somewhat shabby condition (as a "fixer upper" it was the only way I could afford it). It's a 120 year old Victorian, and I fell in love with the fact it still had almost all of the original features: stained glass windows, fireplace mantels, moldings, pocket doors, heartwood floors, etc.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:22 AM

10,851 posts, read 8,203,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I have no plans to sell my house. It's my hobby. I've put so much work into it I frankly admit there is an emotional attachment. When I bought it 14 years ago it was beautiful but in somewhat shabby condition (as a "fixer upper" it was the only way I could afford it). It's a 120 year old Victorian, and I fell in love with the fact it still had almost all of the original features: stained glass windows, fireplace mantels, moldings, pocket doors, heartwood floors, etc.
I remember the pictures you posted of your home. It's gorgeous!

Old 11-11-2015, 02:21 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Clark, your place is stunning. It should be on a historic register of some sort.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:20 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Different direction. Talk of light snow tomorrow. Shouldn't stay but still. High of 33. Brrr.

Ah well, knew it was coming. I'm glad it's my "no spend month". Part of that is using things in the freezer & pantry before buying more. So I'll have more room for winter mainstays which include a lot of soups, stews and chili.

Just thought I'd share all this so those of you in warm states can chuckle.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:40 PM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
Wondering how Curm's flight and then return drive to the Ozarks has been. Also wondering where in the world AZDesertBrat has disappeared. Wonder if she hitched a ride with Curm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement