U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 10:38 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,019,097 times

Advertisements

Got 3 inches of rain yesterday. Only in Nebraska can it snow, rain and hail all in the same day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 10:58 PM

10,842 posts, read 8,189,537 times
[quote=NYgal2NC;4191090 Does that pill help with weight problems?[/QUOTE]
Don't count on it. Hopefully you'll feel more energetic and motivated and that'll help stabilize your weight. My personal observation is that any link between hypothyroidism and weight loss/gain is grossly exaggerated.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:00 PM

10,842 posts, read 8,189,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC4191090
Does that pill help with weight problems?
Don't count on it. Hopefully you'll feel more energetic and motivated and that'll help stabilize your weight. My personal experience and observation is that any direct link between hypothyroidism and weight loss/gain is greatly exaggerated.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:50 AM

8,758 posts, read 9,827,975 times
Well, now I DO feel like an idjit. I WAS in the wrong thread a while ago. Thank you NYgal for alerting me. Oh my...

Old 11-13-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Hi AZDB; I am there with ya ! Hate holidays. I always wish I had the good old days back, with parents and grandparents and little kids at the table, telling stories, laughing, having fun. It's a fantasy that everyone else has this on Thanksgiving and Christmas but I still want it and it's gone. Better to live in the present than the past, but this is so hard for me. Just know that there are alot of others who feel the same way. Best to keep busy and be glad for what we have.

I say "Abolish All Holidays !!!"
I don't hate the holidays and I used to get into it big time, even living by myself. I, too, look back with much fondness for the years all my family was still alive and we had such great get togethers. My dad and his sisters ALWAYS came 'home' for ALL the holidays, no matter where we/they lived at the time. I loved being with cousins and catching up with everyone.

It makes me sad that "there are a lot of others who feel the same way."

I feel a little better today. I gave myself a stern talking to about how much I really have to be grateful for, and I do! Except for this dang 'bump' right now I am generally a very up and happy person so this just kills me.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
AZDesertBrat: This can be a pretty miserable time of year. I'm sending ((((hugs))))) your way. In the past I've felt a lot like you are feeling now. I think so many years have passed feeling that way that I am more or less "used to it." This year I'm going with a neighbor to a church Thanksgiving dinner. Christmas I have no plans and want to keep it that way. No $$ for gifts, not in several years. Don't even send cards anymore. So I'm a cheapskate. But I know my situation better than anyone else.
So will go to the library and borrow a few movies, cook a turkey breast and some other stuff, and spend the day watching movies and eating turkey. I love January 1. It's a fresh start and I never know what the new year will bring. I feel excited about that!
Thank you! I should be "used to it" too, and I actually was...until last year and this one. Even by myself I always put up a tree and decorations and cooked a nice dinner for myself. One year I looked at it and asked myself why I bothered since I was the only person who ever saw my pretty tree and no gifts under it, etc. and quit doing it. I don't regret that part of it, except that yeah, it makes me feel like a "bah humbug" person, which I'm really not.

I quit sending gifts and money a couple of years ago too. Unacknowledged and unappreciated by the giftees so now I take requests from our Christmas tree at work and buy for kids and seniors. I KNOW they appreciate it and need it. Cards? If I get one I'll send one.

I WILL be cooking my Christmas dinner because I love the food and I do have to eat. lol Will likely spend the day watching TV and, of course, online. Maybe we can have our own party here!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I am feeling the same way! Feel so blah. Thinking maybe it is the weather? I was reading a thread on the Psychology forum and decided to start taking Vitamin D plus a regular multi-vitamin.

I really should have nothing to bring me down. Maybe I'm just not getting enough sleep. Just not feeling it this year.
Wow, Clem, I've known you for years and would never picture you being so "blah". That's a surprise but then some people are surprised I would be too. Hopefully, with you, it's just the weather, etc.. We'll both get over it in any event, right? With all your animals I've never figured out how you get enough sleep!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:08 AM

4,858 posts, read 3,369,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Thank you! I should be "used to it" too, and I actually was...until last year and this one. Even by myself I always put up a tree and decorations and cooked a nice dinner for myself. One year I looked at it and asked myself why I bothered since I was the only person who ever saw my pretty tree and no gifts under it, etc. and quit doing it. I don't regret that part of it, except that yeah, it makes me feel like a "bah humbug" person, which I'm really not.

I quit sending gifts and money a couple of years ago too. Unacknowledged and unappreciated by the giftees so now I take requests from our Christmas tree at work and buy for kids and seniors. I KNOW they appreciate it and need it. Cards? If I get one I'll send one.

I WILL be cooking my Christmas dinner because I love the food and I do have to eat. lol Will likely spend the day watching TV and, of course, online. Maybe we can have our own party here!

Sounds like a very positive plan! I'm sure I'll be "here" too, and finding you here, too, is a very nice addition to an otherwise lonesome me day.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Awww big hugs coming your way! Not sure if my children will make it out here to visit at Christmas or not. But even if they don't, it will be a relief over the last few dysfunctional family get togethers. I'm sure you're going to be working very hard during the upcoming weeks.

Once you have time for a break, we need to plan your visit to Cochise County
Uh oh, I was looking forward to your kids coming out as much as you were! I hope they CAN.

Working hard?? LOL Oh, yeah. It has begun and will get crazier and crazier. This Sunday we have 7 newbies coming on board so I will be in training mode. I'll have four and the other trainer will have three.
I LOVE training people so it'll be fun for me.

I have some PTO time so I'm thinking after the first of the year I'll take some time off. I just have to find someone to take care of my cats and fish while I'm gone.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Sounds like a very positive plan! I'm sure I'll be "here" too, and finding you here, too, is a very nice addition to an otherwise lonesome me day.

I put out some feelers at work to see if anyone else would be spending Christmas by themselves and I guess there are some but so far, no takers to come over. If I thought I could get people to come share the day I WOULD go ahead and put up a tree, etc. but if not I won't bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement