U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 09:16 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Uh oh, I was looking forward to your kids coming out as much as you were! I hope they CAN.

Working hard?? LOL Oh, yeah. It has begun and will get crazier and crazier. This Sunday we have 7 newbies coming on board so I will be in training mode. I'll have four and the other trainer will have three.
I LOVE training people so it'll be fun for me.

I have some PTO time so I'm thinking after the first of the year I'll take some time off. I just have to find someone to take care of my cats and fish while I'm gone.

I keep asking myself, why did I get another cat?? If the opportunity arises to go somewhere, I need to do the same thing. I am mostly a spontaneous person but with responsibility to my lovely GG, I can't do that. BTW, she has made me laugh more in the past two months than I have in quite a while. She is a charmer.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:17 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Got 3 inches of rain yesterday. Only in Nebraska can it snow, rain and hail all in the same day.
We scattered my sister's ashes at Rocky Mountain National Park. We had alternating snow, rain, hail, and sunshine! We figured she was playing with us.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:21 AM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
[/b]I keep asking myself, why did I get another cat?? If the opportunity arises to go somewhere, I need to do the same thing. I am mostly a spontaneous person but with responsibility to my lovely GG, I can't do that. BTW, she has made me laugh more in the past two months than I have in quite a while. She is a charmer.
Awww, I'm glad you are enjoying your new kitty so much. Mine make me laugh too because they are so silly. This morning I didn't feed them immediately when I got up and pretty soon I hear some noise from the kitchen and it's Patches pushing the food bowl around the floor. She does that when it's empty and thinks I'm not noticing. It can be empty when I'm at work but she doesn't do that. I know because it's where it should be when I get home! lol

Old 11-13-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Awww, I'm glad you are enjoying your new kitty so much. Mine make me laugh too because they are so silly. This morning I didn't feed them immediately when I got up and pretty soon I hear some noise from the kitchen and it's Patches pushing the food bowl around the floor. She does that when it's empty and thinks I'm not noticing. It can be empty when I'm at work but she doesn't do that. I know because it's where it should be when I get home! lol
Mine is in the habit of leaving a morsel of food in her dish. Just leaves it there. Begs for more. I tell her to go finish what is in her dish and she just looks at me. ""May I have some more, please??" Yeah, I cave in.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:10 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We scattered my sister's ashes at Rocky Mountain National Park. We had alternating snow, rain, hail, and sunshine! We figured she was playing with us.
Your sister up in heaven is laughing at you now!

I'm one of the those people who believes our dearly departed never truly leave us. They stay with us. Continue to talk to your sister if only in your own mind.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:35 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
I attended a retirement party to end all retirement parties last night. What a wonderful and elaborate affair! It was for the retiring Dean of Students of the Law School ... a man incredibly admired and beloved at this university.

Officer Clark was one of about 350 invited guests to the event. This made me so happy because it symbolizes to me that after 3 1/2 years I am finally recognized as a member of the Penn Law community. You see, the other two safety officers assigned to the Law School have been there like 15 and 12 years respectively. I'm the "new kid on the block."

There were speeches and testimonials. Distinguished members of Penn faculty, regional elected officials and national jurisprudence were there. A couple of federal judges and even a justice of the 3rd Circuit Court (one step below the US Supreme Court) was there. Food was catered by the award winning "Iron Chef" Stephen Starr. There were open bars. The University Light Opera Company provided entertainment. There were even Chinese Dragon dancers.

Here is the main point: the Dean is an openly gay guy and his husband (a lawyer) was also officially recognized and honored. Although they have been together for 45 years, they could only legally marry a couple of years ago. It occurred to me that this is the real and true reason gay rights has triumphed in the US. People like Dean Clinton rose to the very top of their profession and made a difference to hundreds if not thousands of individuals. By setting a magnificent example - and I mean magnificent! - they dispelled by example all those horrible stereotypes and caricatures that were used to demonize and marginalize their community.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:15 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Change of subject; what is happened in Paris is reminiscent of our 9/11, to an extent. Nothing will equal that but I am glad our President is at least addressing it.

How horrible this whole thing is. My heart & prayers go out to these people.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:02 PM

meo92953: We are living in dangerous times. Very scary for most, but I refuse to live in fear.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:04 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
It is not so much living in fear as living in awareness. I believe our prayers will help.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:29 AM

1,645 posts, read 631,336 times
I've been taking thyroid medicine for 27 years. The one thing I find difficult is the "one hour before or two hours afterward" instructions. it works best for me if I take it when I get up during the night to go to the bathroom. Go figure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement