U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 09:07 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,380,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
You guys are having a 'heat wave'! It's really COLD here. Yesterday our HIGH was under 50 degrees and it was 30 when I woke up. I don't run the heat at night so it was a tad chilly when I got up but the house warms up fast and my 'fluffy' robe keeps me toasty. I think our high today is supposed to be 60. It's good, as long as the wind isn't blowing. We did have rain for two days but clear skies for the foreseeable future.

I slept well last night too. I think I sleep better if I know I don't HAVE to get up so early. I've been having trouble lately because I can't keep my eyes open past 8:00 and that's way too early to go to bed but, evidently, not "too early" to doze off in my recliner. That means I have trouble going to sleep when I DO get to bed about 10:00 but I sometimes just 'give up' and go to bed at 9:00. THEN I wake up at 3:00!! I hate that! Times like that I think it might be nice to have someone else around to KEEP my awake!
It was 27 degrees when I got up this morning. Car windows needed scraping before I could go anywhere.

My four-legged roommate decided she wanted to play ALL night..... I was awake for most of it. Guess there is still a lot of kitten left in GG.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:15 AM

6,612 posts, read 5,271,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
You guys are having a 'heat wave'! It's really COLD here. Yesterday our HIGH was under 50 degrees and it was 30 when I woke up. I don't run the heat at night so it was a tad chilly when I got up but the house warms up fast and my 'fluffy' robe keeps me toasty. I think our high today is supposed to be 60. It's good, as long as the wind isn't blowing. We did have rain for two days but clear skies for the foreseeable future.

I slept well last night too. I think I sleep better if I know I don't HAVE to get up so early. I've been having trouble lately because I can't keep my eyes open past 8:00 and that's way too early to go to bed but, evidently, not "too early" to doze off in my recliner. That means I have trouble going to sleep when I DO get to bed about 10:00 but I sometimes just 'give up' and go to bed at 9:00. THEN I wake up at 3:00!! I hate that! Times like that I think it might be nice to have someone else around to KEEP my awake!
I've opened the windows and it is still "hot" in here. I'm vacuuming and doing laundry - sweating up a storm. Crazy.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:45 AM

8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
It was 27 degrees when I got up this morning. Car windows needed scraping before I could go anywhere.

My four-legged roommate decided she wanted to play ALL night..... I was awake for most of it. Guess there is still a lot of kitten left in GG.
Oh brrrr! I'm soooo glad I finally have a REAL garage to park my car. No scraping of windshields anymore. Yay!

Sounds like you need to close the BR door! Well, maybe not if she'd be one of those that scratches at the door all night to get it!

Old 11-17-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've opened the windows and it is still "hot" in here. I'm vacuuming and doing laundry - sweating up a storm. Crazy.
I'm trying to get into the mood to do all that stuff myself. Just the activity of doing it will make me sweat!

The other night I actually had to turn on my ceiling fan in the BR to get to sleep. No heat on but it seems to get warmer at night, for some reason. I think it was actually all the cloud cover we had keeping the 'heat' in...if I can consider around 40 degrees "heat". lol By morning I'm snuggled under the covers but don't remember doing it.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:19 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
LOL 19F here this morning. Getting up to mid 40s, tho.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:52 PM

3,504 posts, read 4,058,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Hmmmmm. Someone needs to find a marketing genius. After Detroit imploded, someone started marketing it to young families who could not have afforded a sfh anywhere else. There are some neighborhood success stories in Detroit . .

You mean like these? I cried. I grew up in #1 and #8.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2014/0...ds-in-detroit/

Old 11-17-2015, 09:21 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,771,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
[/b]

Up close: 8 most abandoned neighborhoods in Detroit | Motor City Muckraker
Truly a crying shame. Venerable, older homes going to rack-and-ruin. I think it a crime.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:46 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,221,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes she did. Otherwise I wouldn't have flown out and driven the 2,030 miles back. We're both whupped but it's great to be back home.
Great news and congrats

Old 11-18-2015, 08:10 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,647,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
[/b]

Up close: 8 most abandoned neighborhoods in Detroit | Motor City Muckraker
That's the implosion story. I'm on my tablet so I don't know how to paste the URL. But if you search for 'Detroit regeneration inexpensive housing' you'll see that part of the regeneration story.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
That's the implos5ion story. I'm on my tablet so I don't know how to paste the URL. But if you search for 'Detroit regeneration inexpensive housing' you'll see that part of the regeneration story.
I was surprised that Warrendale wasn't on that list. I lived there for about five years and, back then, it was a nice middle class area. In 1974 I paid $17,500 for a 3 BR 1 BA house with a big finished basement. I found the house online and last time it sold was for only $9,000. Most of the homes in the Warrendale area go for dirt cheap now. Not that $17,500 wasn't but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement