U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 07:11 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times

Advertisements

So happy for you Dee!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 06:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Questions...

I'm about to order some things online from Amazon. It says I would qualify for free shipping if I do a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime, at $99/year.

1) It's not at all clear: Does access to Amazon movies cost extra, or is this included?

2) Does Amazon streaming have as good a selection as Netflix, for which I pay $8.50/mo for DVD home delivery?

3) The promo says something about access to one book a month on Kindle. Is that your experience?

Again, the benefits are not clearly spelled out and I don't want to sign on if movies and Kindle are not included in the yearly $99.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:49 PM

10,849 posts, read 8,193,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
1) It's not at all clear: Does access to Amazon movies cost extra, or is this included?
It gives free access to many movies and TV series but some still require a rental fee.

2) Does Amazon streaming have as good a selection as Netflix, for which I pay $8.50/mo for DVD home delivery?
Amazon Prime seems to me to have a slightly larger catalog but IMO they have the same quality selection overall. Netflix has a slight edge in being user-friendly, i.e. Netflix is better at remembering your preferences (which episode you last watched, where you were in that episode, do you use close captioning, etc.). For me, Netflix streams more smoothly, Amazon seems to require more buffering. You can download most Amazon Prime movies and TV episodes to devices (Kindle Fire or iPad) for later watching, which eliminates the buffering. I really like to be able to download videos because I can watch them while I'm traveling and don't have internet access. I wish Netflix would let you download.

3) The promo says something about access to one book a month on Kindle. Is that your experience?
Yes, they provide a free book a month to Kindle users. But it's a limited selection and I've only used that feature a couple of times in the last few years.

Again, the benefits are not clearly spelled out and I don't want to sign on if movies and Kindle are not included in the yearly $99.
I've been a Prime subscriber since year one, when all you got was free shipping. For me, that's what it's all about. The videos and occasional free Kindle book are just extras, I'd still use Prime without them.
My answers in blue.
You can get a free trial with Amazon Prime, so why not give it a go?

Old 11-24-2015, 06:53 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times
Same here. Being somewhat homebound, I buy a lot of things via Amazon rather than suffering shopping. It saves me a lot of pain.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:34 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
Quote:
Questions...

I'm about to order some things online from Amazon. It says I would qualify for free shipping if I do a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime, at $99/year.

Thanks for any feedback.
I've been a prime member for a few years and order enough to easily justify just for the shipping alone. I have NetFlix along with Amazon currently. You get free music to stream and unlimited pics to upload and store on Amazon's cloud for free. This is a great time of year for a 30 day free trial.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:16 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,027,273 times
I get the free trial whenever they offer it. I cancel it the same day so that I won't forget when the trial is up. You have nothing to lose.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:39 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,122,985 times
Quote:
Questions...

Thanks for any feedback.
Plenty of free ebooks on Amazon.

I joined this site which tracks the free and reduced priced ebooks.
www.bookbub.com

Old 11-25-2015, 04:34 AM

30,033 posts, read 35,213,259 times
We have had Amazon Prime for ages. There rental listing isn't as good as NetFlix. Is it worth the money? I was grandfathered in but we use it a lot and it should be. Our shopping is basically
Amazon, Costco, Target and Kohl's along with groceries not gotten at Costco.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:24 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Thanks everyone for the responses re: Amazon Prime. One other thing that's not clear is whether you pay the $99 for the year in one lump sum, or monthly (like the Netflix monthly charge to your credit card)...??

Old 11-25-2015, 06:24 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
River Bird, please confirm your former ID was new england girl, someone DMd me and is concerned you're not around anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement