U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 11:41 AM

8,764 posts, read 9,839,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I am definitely going to check it out. I couldn't sleep much last night because of the snow and I'm sure barametric pressure. I am so tired today.

Oh well, either I will finally just fall asleep or it will be March soon. Whichever comes first, lol.

The thing about winter is that it has to be warm to snow like it is now. Very pretty but it gets old quickly. Plus there is a 'guesstimate' that it will quit today but as far as I can see, it has no intention of stopping.

Take a nap after lunch. That should help!

It's going to be cold...to me!...today but the sun is shining and the skies are blue. No breeze right now either. I have to go run some errands later.

I've lived where we got LOTS of snow...AK, ID and MI...so I know what you're talking about. Just one more reason I like it here. We can get some 'fallout' off the mountain but it'll be gone in a few hours. Last New Years we did get a BIG snow and it was great. I was off those days and didn't have to get out in it! It took over a week for all that snow to melt but it wasn't hard getting around.

Just checked out weather for today...it's 50 degrees right now, supposed to get up to 61 with a low tonight of 27. Sounds about right! And no precip for the entire week.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:17 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
The temps there sound wonderful. It's going to be a tight squeeze financially but, not as bad as I thought.

I'll know more when I receive the statement regarding my 'pension'. I really don't expect much as it was for a short period of time after my group, and myself, was laid off. So, that will be my spending money. I only receive $1104 a month after Medicare. But I do have a backup of savings & investments. The rental is more than Tennessee, which is my #1 choice but the true test will be when I visit.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:22 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
OMG AZDBrat, it was 21F this morning. And you are in AZ. How does that work???

Of course it only got up to 37F today, maybe that's how.........(slaps head with hand)

Old 12-01-2015, 05:38 PM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I love my house! Got up at 5:30 AM and it was 29 degrees outside. I don't run my heat at night and it was 60 degrees inside! Just a tad chilly but it takes no time at all to warm it up in here. Once the sun starts to warm it up a bit it'll stay right around 70 all day. I love it! Saves on the gas bill, for sure. Also, my garage is well insulated and drywalled so it stays 'warmer' than outdoors too. I checked the temp out there and it's 42!

I need to call my handyman. The leaves off of my humongous Mulberry tree are falling like crazy and are just about ankle deep! And lots more to come! lol
We kind of highjacked that other thread chatting about your house Sorry I never meant to go so far off topic when I posted the pics of my apartment!

It was chilly here in SE AZ this morning too and boy did that hot coffee hit the spot It's only 54 at the moment and will go down to 22 again tonight. The news says this is the last night that we will get that Arctic blast. Thank goodness! Personally I think my Canuck friends just wanted me to know that I can't escape from their cold quite so easily

Unlike you, I have the thermostat set at 70 at night cause I'm still sleeping on the futon with just an afghan. While I did receive a queen mattress and box spring from a gentleman at the senior center, I don't have a frame or a headboard for it yet. I found a frame at Goodwill today but they wanted $30, so I'll wait and hope I can pick one up cheaper at a rummage sale within the next few weeks.

It is a shame that neither of us thought of taking pics of your home when I was there! I did look up the definition of Arizona room. This is what wikipedia states:

Quote:
An Arizona room is a semi-outdoor recreational room found frequently in homes in Arizona. The room is often a patio that has been covered and screened-in, creating an outdoor feeling while preventing excessive heat and keeping insects and animals out. The room generally borders the back yard of the house and is often accessed directly from the living room, kitchen or other common room of the home.
I think your room did start out as a patio but was later converted into a year-round living space. The reason I thought this was because your AZ room is the width of your home, is reached from the kitchen, and because the room is filled with windows

Old 12-01-2015, 10:15 PM

4,474 posts, read 6,034,011 times
WOW, I just saw the (Men and) Single Women Retiring to a New State thread was closed! I am so upset. I have been following that thread since 2007 and have made many friends there. I have been following people's adventures and listening as they weighed the pro's and con's of various retirement destination options. Yes, we went off-topic now and then, and it lost a little bit of its luster once someone made a big deal about men being included....but it always came back. It was the first thing I checked when I logged on. Should we start a new one?

Old 12-02-2015, 05:23 AM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Avalon, at first I didn't see what you were saying but I went to the thread & by golly, you're right. It looked to me that it was getting too long, from what the moderator said. And really, if a person had to start from scratch, that's a lot of info to get through. Maybe we'll have to start a new one & call it???????

Old 12-02-2015, 06:08 AM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
I'm also very unhappy that the thread was closed The "Women Retiring Alone to a New State" thread is how I found CD and why I stuck around after finding it! Yes the thread tended to go off topic, but all of the Retirement forum threads go off topic.

Though I'm relatively new to CD, I did take the time to read the entire "Women Retiring Alone to a New State" thread and there's lots of useful information in the thread.

Maybe it's time to leave for me to leave CD since what brought me here and kept me here is now gone

Old 12-02-2015, 06:23 AM

4,880 posts, read 3,382,746 times
DEELIGHTED: I understand the frustration you feel and have often thought about quitting CD for various reasons myself. But there are a lot of other good threads to read and hope you don't give up now. Someone might start a thread that will be right up your alley.

By the way, are you originally from NY state? I live near Syracuse, NY.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
The thread being closed doesn't mean a new one with a similar name cannot be started fresh, such as Singles Retiring Alone: Considerations on Relocation and More.

Perhaps the mod would make it a sticky.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:51 AM

14,017 posts, read 17,936,627 times
Yes, any registered user can start a thread, but of course only a moderator can make it a sticky. If the thread is truly successful, it doesn't need to be a sticky, as it will rarely go off of page one and if and when it does, someone will bring it back before long.

What doesn't make sense to me is a closed thread remaining a sticky. Perhaps a moderator will "un-sticky" the closed thread now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement