U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-28-2015, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656

Advertisements

Not to change the subject, but just read this....Yikes. fyi

Researchers Find Lapses In Hospitals' Policies For Determining Brain Death : Shots - Health News : NPR

 
Old 12-28-2015, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Reputation: 10943
That's scary. I've always put donor on my driver's license because my brother lost his sight at 21 (detached retinas) but if a donor had been found in time, that might not have happened. I'll bet there are a lot of people who do the same thing because of a family member.

I guess we'll all have to watch this. I can't imagine giving up the thought that my organs may benefit someone when I'm gone.
 
Old 12-29-2015, 08:56 AM
 
Location: East Coast
2,907 posts, read 4,630,434 times
Reputation: 4330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Okay, folks! I promised you a few weeks ago I would post a picture of my front parlor ... showing the new (vintage, not exactly "antique") carpet and coffee table. It's a small cozy room, perfect for tea.

The house was built c.1894 in the French "Second Empire Style" with a slate mansard roof. Since no children or pets live in this house, I'm attempting to bring back a Victorian ambiance. I'm still working on the room, moving the furniture around, etc. Doesn't look like the home of "Kampus Kop" right?!?!
Lovely...just lovely! Thank you for posting this picture. Promise me that if your house ever goes on tour again, you will let me know. I would make a special trip into Philly just to see it.

Speaking of special trips, my kids and I were in Philly yesterday, and among other things, we visited the new observation deck at One Liberty Place. Cost $19 each, but we were up there for at least an hour! Money well spent...we didn't get there 'til about 4:15 (you may want to go when there's more daylight), but the city is also spectacular as the lights begin to come on. Two thumbs up!

https://www.phillyfromthetop.com/
 
Old 12-29-2015, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Okay, folks! I promised you a few weeks ago I would post a picture of my front parlor ... showing the new (vintage, not exactly "antique") carpet and coffee table. It's a small cozy room, perfect for tea.

The house was built c.1894 in the French "Second Empire Style" with a slate mansard roof. Since no children or pets live in this house, I'm attempting to bring back a Victorian ambiance. I'm still working on the room, moving the furniture around, etc. Doesn't look like the home of "Kampus Kop" right?!?!

Your home is gorgeous and just what I wanted to live in when I was a kid. I've always loved Victorian but these days I don't think I'd want to be responsible for the upkeep. lol


No, it doesn't "look like the home of "Kampus Kop"..." whatever that would be. It looks like the home of a person with excellent taste!
 
Old 12-29-2015, 05:20 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
Reputation: 15595
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Lovely...just lovely! Thank you for posting this picture. Promise me that if your house ever goes on tour again, you will let me know. I would make a special trip into Philly just to see it.

Speaking of special trips, my kids and I were in Philly yesterday, and among other things, we visited the new observation deck at One Liberty Place. Cost $19 each, but we were up there for at least an hour! Money well spent...we didn't get there 'til about 4:15 (you may want to go when there's more daylight), but the city is also spectacular as the lights begin to come on. Two thumbs up!

https://www.phillyfromthetop.com/
Next time you're in Philly I'll give you a personal tour of the house ... but much more interesting is the immediate neighborhood itself. Every example of Victorian and Edwardian domestic architecture is represented in the neighborhood ... from 1850 through 1915. Besides being "Kampus Kop" I'm also a professional walking tour guide! If you have a little extra time I'll also give you a tour of the University of Pennsylvania camps, which is just a few short blocks away.
 
Old 12-29-2015, 06:51 PM
 
Location: East Coast
2,907 posts, read 4,630,434 times
Reputation: 4330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Next time you're in Philly I'll give you a personal tour of the house ... but much more interesting is the immediate neighborhood itself. Every example of Victorian and Edwardian domestic architecture is represented in the neighborhood ... from 1850 through 1915. Besides being "Kampus Kop" I'm also a professional walking tour guide! If you have a little extra time I'll also give you a tour of the University of Pennsylvania camps, which is just a few short blocks away.
Oooooh! That sounds like fun!
 
Old 12-29-2015, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Reputation: 10943
How do you ignore a poster? Where's the button? I've come across an obnoxious poster in my pursuit of looking at places to retire. Not that he's targeted me, he's just an icky person. I'd like to just ignore the person.
 
Old 12-29-2015, 11:01 PM
 
10,851 posts, read 8,203,309 times
Reputation: 17210
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
How do you ignore a poster? Where's the button? I've come across an obnoxious poster in my pursuit of looking at places to retire. Not that he's targeted me, he's just an icky person. I'd like to just ignore the person.
Go up above under Chat Thread, then My Settings, then find Settings and Options on the left side, then Edit Ignore List, then enter the name of the person you want to ignore.
 
Old 12-29-2015, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Reputation: 10943
Thank you. I'd better write that down.lot of steps but at least you really have to be determined.
 
Old 12-30-2015, 03:29 PM
 
Location: middle tennessee
1,959 posts, read 1,029,782 times
Reputation: 7272
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
How do you ignore a poster? Where's the button? I've come across an obnoxious poster in my pursuit of looking at places to retire. Not that he's targeted me, he's just an icky person. I'd like to just ignore the person.
I click on my name which takes me to my page. Settings are on the left. You will find ignore there.


I don't think it's offensive. I have a list and I expect I am on several lists myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top