U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 02:59 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times

Advertisements

I have a question:

Does something acquire an emotional value just because of it's age?

Example: this morning I was cleaning some stuff in the kitchen and I polished an old silver-plated candy dish my Mom gave to me at least 35 - 40 years ago. It is not valuable from a market or resale point of view. Thrift stores have lots of these kinds of objects. It was not a "gift" and is not associated with any event. I'm sure it was just one thing in a box of dishes, pots, pans, glasses and so on my mother gave me when I moved out of my parent's house when I graduated college.

It's a rather pretty dish. It's about 11" long and 4 1/2" wide, shaped like a leaf with a stem and it has raised "veins." It must have been well made, because none of the silver-plating is wearing off. I guess my Mom acquired it in the late '40's or 1950's.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:31 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
^^^^^ I believe it has a lot of sentimental value to it. Your Mom used it. And now you have it.

My mother never had anything valuable...... except her love, etc. But I do have a few things of no material value that I don't use but cannot bring myself to dispose of in any way. They were hers.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:26 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I have a question:

Does something acquire an emotional value just because of it's age?

Example: this morning I was cleaning some stuff in the kitchen and I polished an old silver-plated candy dish my Mom gave to me at least 35 - 40 years ago. It is not valuable from a market or resale point of view. Thrift stores have lots of these kinds of objects. It was not a "gift" and is not associated with any event. I'm sure it was just one thing in a box of dishes, pots, pans, glasses and so on my mother gave me when I moved out of my parent's house when I graduated college.

It's a rather pretty dish. It's about 11" long and 4 1/2" wide, shaped like a leaf with a stem and it has raised "veins." It must have been well made, because none of the silver-plating is wearing off. I guess my Mom acquired it in the late '40's or 1950's.
I think it's not the age of the item per se but rather the family connection which confers the emotional value. A couple of years ago my last surviving aunt passed on a set of ice cream dishes to my sister which had been a wedding present to our grandmother (long deceased) about 1902 or 1903. The dishes themselves are rather plain Jane, but my sister and I agreed that they have sentimental value. My aunt, who is childless, chose my sister because she has two children to whom these things can be passed on in turn. I was the delivery service because I was on a road trip and happened to be where our aunt lives (in Mobile, Alabama) on my way to where my sister lives (in Little Rock, Arkansas). Yes, we value them.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:03 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Clark - Kampus Kop - your dish is as valuable as you feel it is. My Grandparents weren't rich but I got a few furniture pieces from her that I'm sure were not high end in her day but the workmanship is amazing compared to the junk out there today - unless you pay a small fortune.

I'm not surprised that the silver plating is still intact - everything was made better then.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:26 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
I have my mother's cane which was her mother's. I think of both of them when I use it. I also have a plant Gramma gave to my mother. No one wanted to lose it but the rest were scared of killing it. Being a plant person, I took it but hold my breath a lot. I almost killed it once, but it came back to life. Now I really baby it but it's the lack of Sun that makes it droop. I might have to get a special light for it for the winter. It sure is a pretty plant.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:20 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
I finished off my mother's silver service before precious metal went sky high. It is the Dancing Flowerss pattern of Reed and Barton. Solid Sterling.

Years ago when we moved here I decided I needed more silverware. Rather than trying to extend my stainless set I bought plated ware off of ebay, service for thirty so I could leave it all to the dishwasher rather than hand wash. love it.

meo, NY2gal, ER, Clark, kudos to you on the plant. I wish I had the green thumb. Umb, to you, too, nothing replaces family.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:28 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
CCc - How are you feeling? Better? Take care of yourself.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:56 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

My Grandparents weren't rich but I got a few furniture pieces from her that I'm sure were not high end in her day but the workmanship is amazing compared to the junk out there today - unless you pay a small fortune.

Umbria, I agree with you 100%. Someone close to me worked in a furniture showroom - I will name names! - called Ashley Furniture. Ashley claims to be a mid-price range retailer of furniture, but I learned that in fact people in the business consider it junk. Disposable furniture. Meant to be used for 6 - 8 years and then thrown out. IKEA furniture is step below that ... they consider it garbage. Even higher end furniture like Thomasville and even Henredon isn't that great any more. I'm told folks looking for really excellent furniture go to antique shops, auctions, and the like.

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. This is just an opinion.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:29 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Umbria, I agree with you 100%. Someone close to me worked in a furniture showroom - I will name names! - called Ashley Furniture. Ashley claims to be a mid-price range retailer of furniture, but I learned that in fact people in the business consider it junk. Disposable furniture. Meant to be used for 6 - 8 years and then thrown out. IKEA furniture is step below that ... they consider it garbage. Even higher end furniture like Thomasville and even Henredon isn't that great any more. I'm told folks looking for really excellent furniture go to antique shops, auctions, and the like.

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. This is just an opinion.
I think you're right. The name brand furniture that used to be held in high regard is cheaply made now, if it's made at all. I saw a piece of Heckman furniture and it was junk but I remember it used to be considered high quality. Maybe what I saw was a fake, in all fairness to Heckman. I hope so. I used to have Thomasville and Drexel Heritage but I don't know if it's even made anymore.

I ordered some Thomasville pieces directly from the North Carolina back in the 90s and it was very nice but from what I've heard those places went out of business, maybe in the 2009 recession???

If I need "new" furniture I get it in an antique shop or (I'll admit it) at a thrift store. I'll buy antique or vintage any day before I'd buy modern day junk. For those of us (mostly older people) who still appreciate craftsmanship, there is no way we'd allow poorly made furniture in our homes.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:54 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,173,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think you're right. The name brand furniture that used to be held in high regard is cheaply made now, if it's made at all. I saw a piece of Heckman furniture and it was junk but I remember it used to be considered high quality. Maybe what I saw was a fake, in all fairness to Heckman. I hope so. I used to have Thomasville and Drexel Heritage but I don't know if it's even made anymore.

I ordered some Thomasville pieces directly from the North Carolina back in the 90s and it was very nice but from what I've heard those places went out of business, maybe in the 2009 recession???

If I need "new" furniture I get it in an antique shop or (I'll admit it) at a thrift store. I'll buy antique or vintage any day before I'd buy modern day junk. For those of us (mostly older people) who still appreciate craftsmanship, there is no way we'd allow poorly made furniture in our homes.
Agree with all you say. I too ordered Thomasville directly from NC back around 1998. It was disappointing. (upholstery). I ordred its replacement directly from NC again about 2 years ago and am pretty pleased. (but I deliberately did not want to spend much $ as I dont have high expectations....so far, so good). But my point is some of the direct NC places are still around. and yes I feel torn about not patronizing local business, but there are so few furniture stores around, and when it comes to saving hundreds of dollars, I get very un principled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement