U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 05:43 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times

Advertisements

I read reviews and use Consumer Reports for bigger purchases. Furniture makers aren't covered which is too bad. I read all the consumer reviews and get confused by how wildly they cover the spectrum from absolutely awful to totally terrible on the same item. Is it lemons, persnickety people, clueless people? Even with top rated products there is no consensus in the reviews and I never feel sure of my purchases and breath a sigh of relief when they turn out to be good.

We bought a good brand of furniture that is well rated, but I learned this brand sells different grades of furniture all under their name to high end stores down to outlet type stores. That partially explains the different reviews I was reading, but I'm disliking how much I digging I had to do to find out that information.
It seems companies don't care about their name as much now.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:52 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I read reviews and use Consumer Reports for bigger purchases. Furniture makers aren't covered which is too bad. I read all the consumer reviews and get confused by how wildly they cover the spectrum from absolutely awful to totally terrible on the same item. Is it lemons, persnickety people, clueless people? Even with top rated products there is no consensus in the reviews and I never feel sure of my purchases and breath a sigh of relief when they turn out to be good.

We bought a good brand of furniture that is well rated, but I learned this brand sells different grades of furniture all under their name to high end stores down to outlet type stores. That partially explains the different reviews I was reading, but I'm disliking how much I digging I had to do to find out that information.
It seems companies don't care about their name as much now.
Is anything of quality still made in USA? I wonder. I haven't bought furniture in years but I'm thinking the quality has gone downhill. There used to be loads of furniture stores to choose from but around here anyway, most have gone out of business. There are a few junky furniture stores and maybe one really nice quality store--the one quality store is in the Boston area where I don't even go.

What I used to do was to go the best furniture stores and see what brands they sold. That was my learning experience. Back in the day, I would even take down the model number and style. Then I'd see if I could get it for about 2/3 of the price, shipped from North Carolina. I guess now I would go to an antique store to buy things like bedroom sets, coffee tables, end tables. At least you're getting real wood and something that's well made. What to do for upholstered furniture though? Sometimes you can find good furniture on Craigs List--something the kids inherited but don't want.

I guess for the upholstered furniture you kind of have to evaluate it--wish I could remember all that stuff about tied springs and whatever else you were supposed to look for. I agree, you can't really trust the brand names anymore.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:07 AM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I have a question:

Does something acquire an emotional value just because of it's age?

Example: this morning I was cleaning some stuff in the kitchen and I polished an old silver-plated candy dish my Mom gave to me at least 35 - 40 years ago. It is not valuable from a market or resale point of view. Thrift stores have lots of these kinds of objects. It was not a "gift" and is not associated with any event. I'm sure it was just one thing in a box of dishes, pots, pans, glasses and so on my mother gave me when I moved out of my parent's house when I graduated college.

It's a rather pretty dish. It's about 11" long and 4 1/2" wide, shaped like a leaf with a stem and it has raised "veins." It must have been well made, because none of the silver-plating is wearing off. I guess my Mom acquired it in the late '40's or 1950's.
Hmmm. I love talking about antiques and collectibles and olde stuff. In this case I don't think it's valuable simply because of its age. Your mother had a lot of things and this dish is only one thing of hers. If it made you feel great and really, truly gave you a pleasant reminder of your mother, it would probably be worth keeping. And IF you didn't have much else that had belonged to your mother. IF it were sterling silver, that would add some more merit to the dish. If you love it on its own due to its beauty or how it fits into your decor, that would be another plus in its favor.

Either the candy dish is well made or your mother rarely used it. My mother had silver plated flatware but the surface never wore off. She used it every Sunday and every holiday but not every day.

I've had to get rid of so many of my parents' things that I now only keep them if they meet several criteria. At first, when my parents first passed, everything they had touched seemed museum worthy! That feeling faded and I realized that I wasn't maintaining a museum and all these things would only become a burden.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:50 AM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
One of 'those' nights where I couldn't sleep. I'm cleaning & taking a break. Re-reading these posts I realized I was not thinking of the platters & large ornate bowls I inherited. Beautiful pieces I can't give away.

There is an article in the DYI magazine where a woman made a shallow floor to ceiling shelving system which she put on a non-used wall & it served two purposes. First, she was able to put the serving plates, etc. in it & it did not take up much room but did enhance an area that wasn't used.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
On another note, every time I drive by the gas station at the bottom of my street I'm shocked to see the price of gas coming down sometimes more than once in a day. This morning it was $1.88 and just now $1.85. Freat for those on a budget but I wonder how low it can go, and why the price of food isn't reflected in the falling gas prices. This is all so bizarre. I remember when I was working a few wealthy board members came into my office in a tizzy over gas reaching $3.00. World coming to an end! Like they needed to worry. Then getting up near $4. Somehow I find it hard to believe that the reason for the freefall is that the Chinese are using so much less resources...

Old 01-06-2016, 03:34 PM

2,606 posts, read 1,244,350 times
Gas here in southwest Oklahoma is $1.59 a gallon. It's expected to drop in price a bit more before the end of the month.

Love it!

Old 01-06-2016, 05:06 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
I think we'd all be wise to keep the difference between the old price of gas & the new prices parked in your bank, just in case.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:09 PM

238 posts, read 197,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I think we'd all be wise to keep the difference between the old price of gas & the new prices parked in your bank, just in case.
You are a wise woman, Meo.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:25 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Default Calling CCc girl

Hope you check in and let us know how you're doing.

Little worried about ya.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:03 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
Gas here in southwest Oklahoma is $1.59 a gallon. It's expected to drop in price a bit more before the end of the month.

Love it!

It's down to $2.25 a gallon here. Ya know, it could fall to 50 cents a gallon and the oil companies would still make billions.

I remember as a teenager my friends and I scraping up change for "gas money". If we found a dollar that was enough to go cruising for the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement