U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 08:47 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Yeah. When I'm on duty I gotta act "butch."

If you can't see the photo, "befriend" me and I'll add you.
I asked to be your friend. It's ok, I'm harmless.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:44 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's what I say. NOW that I'm not working I keep reading about all these great cross country skiing places. But when I was working I rarely got to go. That's life!

I've been thinking about that, too. By the time I am able to afford to travel and do things I have been wanting to do, I probably won't be able to. I have all kinds of time now, have been retired since 2010. Lack of money is what keeps me from doing those things now. As you said, that is life.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:24 AM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Yesterday I put a block of suet out for the birds. Today the sky was darkened by about 100,000,000 (hyperbola) of those brown birds with white speckles, the boring birds who attack the suet and eat ravenously. The suet will have been devoured by nightfall, I'm sure.

We don't get interesting birds around here. Well, down the road at the state reservation they really do--they get Snowy Owls. You can see them if you have a telephoto lens on your camera. All I see are the mobs of people trying to see them, lol.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:36 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Mockingjays? Yeah I hate those. Here I see blue jays, cardinals, sparrows, mourning doves, yellow something. When I put out bird seed or food here comes a million red wing blackbirds. Where they come from I haven't a clue, when the food is gone, so are they. I also have red tail hawks and bald eagles but they are good at feeding themselves with field mice and bunny rabbits.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:57 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,174,447 times
I'm still a lurker here. I'm not retired as of yet buy DH is - I have 6-10 years to go yet. I have befriended a few of you. I'm like Meo - harmless.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:33 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yesterday I put a block of suet out for the birds. Today the sky was darkened by about 100,000,000 (hyperbola) of those brown birds with white speckles, the boring birds who attack the suet and eat ravenously. The suet will have been devoured by nightfall, I'm sure.

We don't get interesting birds around here. Well, down the road at the state reservation they really do--they get Snowy Owls. You can see them if you have a telephoto lens on your camera. All I see are the mobs of people trying to see them, lol.
Your block of suet for the birds brings back childhood memrories for me. We lived in a suburb of St. Louis until I was 14 years old, and in the winter we put out suet. True, it didn't get as cold in St. Louis as it does where you live, but there was plenty of sub-freezing weather and several snows each winter, so the suet seemed to be appreciated by the birds.

It's funny how we forget entirely about some things until someone else mentions them. It's been almost 58 years since we moved from St. Louis to Los Angeles, yet in my mind's eye I can still visualize our house, its layout, and its position in the neighborhood.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:50 PM

10,851 posts, read 8,203,309 times
We have a wide variety of birds around our place and we accidentally discovered that woodpeckers love nutty granola bars. You can wire one to a bird feeder or station and they'll happily peck away at it.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:44 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Mockingjays? Yeah I hate those. Here I see blue jays, cardinals, sparrows, mourning doves, yellow something. When I put out bird seed or food here comes a million red wing blackbirds. Where they come from I haven't a clue, when the food is gone, so are they. I also have red tail hawks and bald eagles but they are good at feeding themselves with field mice and bunny rabbits.
I'd love to get birds like that again. Well, I can't say I ever got a bald eagle. Where I used to live I had woods and sometimes after a big snowstorm two pair of cardinals would be at the bird feeder. That was a beautiful sight.

I live at the beach now and it's either sea gulls or those brown things. No trees so few birds. I do hear cardinals in the distance sometimes and there's a bird sanctuary nearby. It's fun to have them come to your own yard though.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:29 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
I've noticed that on Facebook my older (55+) male friends usually post a recent photo as their "avatar" or "profile picture" but the females often post a picture of a flower or their pet cat or a really vintage picture of their high school graduation.

Please tell me the ladies are not that vain.

We guys can be vain too. I suppose I posted that particular photo on my profile page because it was enlarged from a small thumbnail and the fine details like my puffy eyes or forehead lines are blurred. So it does make me look a little younger than I am.

I'm with Oprah Winfrey on this one. Let's embrace our age. As we get older our attractiveness changes but doesn't disappear. We are survivors. Old age is a privilege not afforded to everyone.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:53 PM

10,851 posts, read 8,203,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've noticed that on Facebook my older (55+) male friends usually post a recent photo as their "avatar" or "profile picture" but the females often post a picture of a flower or their pet cat or a really vintage picture of their high school graduation.

Please tell me the ladies are not that vain.
What makes you think it's vanity? Women on social media are often more cautious than men about posting current or identifiable pictures of themselves on social media, due to safety concerns.
Do you make your C-D profile and photo available for everyone, or just for friends?

FB profile pics are always public and there's no way to make them private. There's legitimate concern about identity theft. Ever watch the TV show "Catfish"? Anyone with a FB account can capture anyone else's profile pic and name and use it to scam someone.
In my several years on FB I never have and never will posted an identifiable profile pic. In my current profile pic, I'm obscuring my face with a Carnival mask. I do share current clear photos on my timeline because I can mark them "Friends Only". But no stranger needs to see me or be able to download a photo of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement