U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,928,294 times
Reputation: 32336

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just saw The Great Gatsby this evening. Terrible movie, ruined the memory of the book for me. What a waste of my senior ticket.
The senior movie critic for the Los Angeles Times, Kenneth Turan, didn't like it either. After reading his review, I decided I would not see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
1,156 posts, read 1,019,496 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Anybody celebrating mother' day tomorrow?
We took my MIL out to lunch today and put flowers on my mom/dad's grave. Going to my sister-in-laws tomorrow for a BBQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 10:40 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,609,304 times
Reputation: 22437
Not celebrating Mother's Day, really. Son is celebrating 2013 being his year to turn 30 -- along with 5 of his buds who will all be 30 this year. They are deep sea fishing--hope he brings me a fish steak or two!

In re: to Gatsby--I remember when the movie was filmed in the late 60s, maybe? Early 70s? Robert Redford. I remember being so excited about seeing it b/c GQ had done this heavenly spread on the fashions --I kept that article for many years until it got lost in a move. I still remember one of the photos--it was that beautifully photographed.

Anyway, that film was well done --I watched it again in the last few years and it still seemed as beautiful as I had remembered. So why anyone would want to do a remake is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 10:50 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,609,304 times
Reputation: 22437
Looked it up--Robert Redford, Mia Farrow -- 1974.

I got curious as to whether or not I could find that article archived online, but all I could find was the front cover:

GQ Covers #100-149 (might have to scroll down to find the right cover)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Not celebrating Mother's Day, really. Son is celebrating 2013 being his year to turn 30 -- along with 5 of his buds who will all be 30 this year. They are deep sea fishing--hope he brings me a fish steak or two!

In re: to Gatsby--I remember when the movie was filmed in the late 60s, maybe? Early 70s? Robert Redford. I remember being so excited about seeing it b/c GQ had done this heavenly spread on the fashions --I kept that article for many years until it got lost in a move. I still remember one of the photos--it was that beautifully photographed.

Anyway, that film was well done --I watched it again in the last few years and it still seemed as beautiful as I had remembered. So why anyone would want to do a remake is beyond me.
I really like the original Gatsby with Redford too. Leonardo???? I will have to see it out of curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Looked it up--Robert Redford, Mia Farrow -- 1974.

I got curious as to whether or not I could find that article archived online, but all I could find was the front cover:

GQ Covers #100-149 (might have to scroll down to find the right cover)

Ani - Are you familiar with Hendersonville, NC? I have read that it is a charming town and when I looked up crime reports online it looks real bad in that department. Do you know anything about that? I know - I can take this to the NC forum, just wondering what you might know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2013, 05:44 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,118,688 times
Reputation: 42872
I've been to Hendersonville a few times. It was 10-15 years ago, but I doubt it's changed all that much. It strikes me as a charming town. Of course, at the time I was viewing it from the eye of a traveller and not as someone looking for a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2013, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,118,688 times
Reputation: 42872
Happy mother's day, everyone! I'm not a big fan of going to restaurants on Mother's day, but I'll celebrate in my own small way by planting my annuals this morning. A gift to mother Earth, dontcha know. And if the kids come by and help me plant them, that would be the best mothers day gift of all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 AM
 
Location: in my living room
1,145 posts, read 1,900,368 times
Reputation: 1784
Happy Mother's Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
The senior movie critic for the Los Angeles Times, Kenneth Turan, didn't like it either. After reading his review, I decided I would not see it.
There are some books better left as books. It's better to imagine what Gatsby looked like than to see overly handsome actors overly playing his role. Where they got the terrible idea for the music during the dance/party scenes was totally disappointing, it was not the music of Gatsby's era. I should have known from the trailer not to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:47 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top