U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-13-2016, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Asheville NC
1,661 posts, read 1,352,605 times
Reputation: 4526

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
No city "he dog" I know would be caught dead in boots. It's a badge of honor to tough it out in snow and ice. Concerned about the sidewalk and road salt getting into our dogs' paws, I bought pricey little boots for the JRT and he stood still the first time we put them on and refused to go out the door till we took them off.The girl dog didn't like them either. Be sure to keep the receipt in case you'll be returning them.
There is a salve called Musher's Secret that protects paws in extreme conditions. Helps reduce slippage and keeps them from drying and cracking.

 
Old 01-13-2016, 04:50 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Reputation: 34750
I can't imagine putting boots on a dog. FOUR feet. My dog has allowed me to put a rain jacket on him (once or twice) but then he won't go pee while he's wearing it. I should get rid of any cute clothing items I ever bought for him.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
 
Old 01-13-2016, 05:13 PM
 
Location: East Coast
2,907 posts, read 4,630,434 times
Reputation: 4330
Dogs in Boots...


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tH785TVOjI

Last edited by LibraGirl123; 01-13-2016 at 05:56 PM..
 
Old 01-13-2016, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
I am sure what I have to say about this will be met with a lot of critical comments, etc. Well, I don't worry about that.

These poor animals..... they have lived for thousands of years without raincoats, boots, sweaters, etc. and have been happy with their natural state.

But then comes along us stupid humans who have nothing better to do than to put stupid things on their animals and then laugh themselves sick as the poor animal struggles with it.

You all really think that's OK?? You really think it's OK to laugh at the poor thing because he is trying to be normal in something you put on him for your own entertainment?

Talk about animal abuse.
 
Old 01-13-2016, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Cochise County, AZ
1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
Reputation: 2940
Ok I must admit that I caved in and purchased a single Powerball ticket last Saturday and again today. Hey you can't win if you don't play, right? Unfortunately, I was not one of the two tickets for one million instant winnings that were sold in Arizona last Saturday dang it!

Do you realize just how hard it is to type anything when you've got all of your fingers and toes crossed?
 
Old 01-13-2016, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Ok I must admit that I caved in and purchased a single Powerball ticket last Saturday and again today. Hey you can't win if you don't play, right? Unfortunately, I was not one of the two tickets for one million instant winnings that were sold in Arizona last Saturday dang it!

Do you realize just how hard it is to type anything when you've got all of your fingers and toes crossed?

Wishing you better luck with tonight's drawing!!
 
Old 01-13-2016, 11:04 PM
 
1,269 posts, read 1,144,942 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
There is a salve called Musher's Secret that protects paws in extreme conditions. Helps reduce slippage and keeps them from drying and cracking.
Thanks! I'll tell her about that. That's her concern, not to be cute or anything like that. Just for protection from the elements and the consequences of same. She likes to go hiking with her dog in the winter and feared frostbite and such.

Last edited by movinon; 01-13-2016 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: spelling
 
Old 01-14-2016, 05:42 AM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Reputation: 9036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Ok I must admit that I caved in and purchased a single Powerball ticket last Saturday and again today. Hey you can't win if you don't play, right? Unfortunately, I was not one of the two tickets for one million instant winnings that were sold in Arizona last Saturday dang it!

Do you realize just how hard it is to type anything when you've got all of your fingers and toes crossed?
I'm not the FL powerball winner, but I did get the powerball number. That gives me a $4 prize, which pays for the two tickets I bought.

On the bright side, I don't have to hire a team of lawyers and advisors or hide my identity now. On the not so bright side, I can continue my concern over whether we'll have enough or outlive our money. In other words, life goes on and I'm happy for that.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-14-2016 at 06:19 AM..
 
Old 01-14-2016, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Asheville NC
1,661 posts, read 1,352,605 times
Reputation: 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Thanks! I'll tell her about that. That's her concern, not to be cute or anything like that. Just for protection from the elements and the consequences of same. She likes to go hiking with her dog in the winter and feared frostbite and such.
If it is extreme cold young pups should not be out hiking. There is no reason not to use coats and cold weather gear for dogs. Not the cutsie stuff but the dog gear from Cabela's or Ruffwear.. They also have dog life jackets. I do have some nice sweaters for my Scotty puppy. She only weighs 3 pounds and at almost 9 weeks she is not able to regulate her body temperature.. I am house-breaking in sometimes below freezing temperatures. When my late Shelties were pups it was the summer. Winter house breaking is an adventure. Fortunately she has, so far, slept through the night without any accidents in her crate.
 
Old 01-14-2016, 08:36 AM
 
1,269 posts, read 1,144,942 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
If it is extreme cold young pups should not be out hiking. There is no reason not to use coats and cold weather gear for dogs. Not the cutsie stuff but the dog gear from Cabela's or Ruffwear.. They also have dog life jackets. I do have some nice sweaters for my Scotty puppy. She only weighs 3 pounds and at almost 9 weeks she is not able to regulate her body temperature.. I am house-breaking in sometimes below freezing temperatures. When my late Shelties were pups it was the summer. Winter house breaking is an adventure. Fortunately she has, so far, slept through the night without any accidents in her crate.
Good point about the youngsters. Her dog is a mature Lab/Shepard mix. She does have the good outdoor dog coat - ripstop and weatherproof. It gets cold enough here for that. He wears a dog back pack at times, too, so he can carry supplies.

Enjoy your Scottie! My mom had one - the best dog ever - who lived to be 22 - she had him from a pup, too. Crates are a wonderful tool - but winter housebreaking doesn't sound like much fun. This too shall pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top