U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-05-2016, 11:21 AM
 
6,570 posts, read 5,248,337 times
Reputation: 13543

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We've been up and down since the holidays in SWFL. Waves of cold fronts with rain come through and the temps drop into the 60's and upper 50's and then it warms up again. Yesterday was 78, today's high will be 61 and warming up next week again. Roller coaster winter so far.

I made a batch of lemon curd, using a lemon from my tree. The recipe calls for squeezing 3-4 lemons to get 1/3 cup. One of my Meyers lemons squeezed gave me a 1/2 cup, love it.
My Meyers produced only one lemon this year!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2016, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,852 posts, read 3,367,035 times
Reputation: 12585
Tuesday it was in high 50's; today low 30's. Central New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2016, 11:39 AM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,513 posts, read 1,736,933 times
Reputation: 9031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
My Meyers produced only one lemon this year!!
I have only one tree and got eight. I pruned it last year and knew there would be less this year because of that.

How old is your tree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2016, 01:36 PM
 
6,570 posts, read 5,248,337 times
Reputation: 13543
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I have only one tree and got eight. I pruned it last year and knew there would be less this year because of that.

How old is your tree?
about five years. I've had it in a pot and I transplanted it into the ground a few months ago.

It has produced more than that before. My sister has hers in the ground and it has tons of lemons. We shall see how it goes.

I am even going to beat it with a stick to get it to produce! Weird little trick.

No blooms? Try beating your plant - The Lazy Gardener
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2016, 03:28 PM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,513 posts, read 1,736,933 times
Reputation: 9031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
about five years. I've had it in a pot and I transplanted it into the ground a few months ago.

It has produced more than that before. My sister has hers in the ground and it has tons of lemons. We shall see how it goes.

I am even going to beat it with a stick to get it to produce! Weird little trick.

No blooms? Try beating your plant - The Lazy Gardener
That link is too funny... plant violence sounds so wrong, but it sounds like it works. Let me know if it does.

I've got two pineapples forming, but some unknown animal has always gotten to them first. One of these days I'll get there beforehand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2016, 04:05 PM
 
6,570 posts, read 5,248,337 times
Reputation: 13543
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
That link is too funny... plant violence sounds so wrong, but it sounds like it works. Let me know if it does.

I've got two pineapples forming, but some unknown animal has always gotten to them first. One of these days I'll get there beforehand.
I got the idea from my cousin. Her mom has an orange tree that had never produced in 20 years. Someone told her to hit it with a stick, so she did. It worked. Lots of sweet juicy oranges this season.

I thought that was weird until I found that link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2016, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,756 posts, read 9,825,608 times
Reputation: 11346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I got the idea from my cousin. Her mom has an orange tree that had never produced in 20 years. Someone told her to hit it with a stick, so she did. It worked. Lots of sweet juicy oranges this season.

I thought that was weird until I found that link.

I had to laugh about beating your plants "at night". I WAS wondering what the neighbors would think if they saw me out there beating on my puny pear tree. lol This year I got TWO whole pears off of it. Tiny and perfectly shaped but pears nonetheless. Didn't even know what it was till I saw those and now I will be prepared to 'do better by it' next summer. Maybe include a "beating" or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2016, 09:39 PM
 
6,570 posts, read 5,248,337 times
Reputation: 13543
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I had to laugh about beating your plants "at night". I WAS wondering what the neighbors would think if they saw me out there beating on my puny pear tree. lol This year I got TWO whole pears off of it. Tiny and perfectly shaped but pears nonetheless. Didn't even know what it was till I saw those and now I will be prepared to 'do better by it' next summer. Maybe include a "beating" or two.
I beat my tree the other day. I wonder if it needs more than one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2016, 06:36 AM
 
669 posts, read 527,668 times
Reputation: 700
My Meyer lemon produced about 70 lemons this year. I was amazed. I do fertilize it though. I was making lemon ice cubes just to use them up. Gave a bunch to friends too. My hubby had to prune it so I hope I will have a good year next year too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2016, 07:55 AM
 
10,842 posts, read 8,187,545 times
Reputation: 17127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I got the idea from my cousin. Her mom has an orange tree that had never produced in 20 years. Someone told her to hit it with a stick, so she did. It worked. Lots of sweet juicy oranges this season.
I've always heard that the best gardeners are those who aren't afraid of handling their plants, and in my experience it's been true. Here's an article about how shaking vegetable plants helps them pollinate:
Help Pollinate Your Tomato Plants - Vegetable Gardener
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top