U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 08:31 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times

Advertisements

I was out in the backyard today and the soil is not frozen! Last year at this time the snow was up over the back door, making it dark in the house and impossible to get out.

I scooped up some compost from the bin (also not frozen) and even pulled some weeds. Please don't let it snow. It would be so great to roll right into spring.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:00 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,174,447 times
My 16 year old is praying that Spring is here to stay.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:07 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
...and it's snowing.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:08 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
A couple of days ago (we had two days where it hit 60) I noticed that first harbinger of spring: the snowdrop flowers are in bloom.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:59 AM

655 posts, read 420,336 times
The weather is getting nice here as well. Since I do not have a special lighting system yet, I have been making practice video blogs in my backyard. I kept thinking that even with the natural light that I must be doing something wrong because all of my wrinkles, sags and bags appear to be so prominent. It took me a few hours to figure it out, but the reason I appear so aged and wrinkly in my videos is because I AM old and wrinkly. And really, 99% of the time I am totally fine with that.

I am often asked by younger Autistics what it is like to be aging and Autistic. This has been difficult for me to answer. Like many Autistics [ by NO means all, or even most of us] I endured unspeakable abuse as a child [ Autistic people, with their big, fat juicy amygdalas, often grow up in families where there are people with extra small amygdalas, the amygdalas in sadistic psychopaths. Once again, I remind you that this is not the case with all or even most family members of Autistics]

Most likely in order to protect myself, though I never repressed memories of the torture I endured, I made excuses for my family and their monstrous behaviors. As an adult, I was mostly ignored by them. Then, going on a decade ago, something happened that ripped away the veil of denial of the extent of their malevolent characters. I told them I was no longer going to protect the world, and particularly my loved ones, from their" insanely opposite of little" secrets. I was told that they would destroy me and my credibility if I tried. I remember that I rolled my eyes when told this. I grossly underestimated their ability to do just that.

So, because of PTSD, growing up a scapegoat, etc. I thought that I would not be qualified to answer their questions about aging and Autism. So, in typical Autistic fashion, I decided that I would thoroughly research the topic. And I tried.

Problem is, there has been very little research on this subject. And most of the hypotheses are terribly unsettling. [ until I remember that these Hypothoses have been "invented" by non-Autistic people, who are generally pretty clueless about Autistic people]

So, after an offer by a group to pay all of my expenses of starting a Vlog, I decided that despite the other "stuff" in my life, that I needed to be a pioneer in exploring aging and being Autistic as I experience it, and to share some of my peers experiences as well.

We will be dealing with many serious issues and also having some fun [ the ADHD in me NEEDS some serious fun] As far as any ancient Autistic wisdom I would like to share with them, is that it is possible [ necessary] to learn to be filled with joy at the same time of experiencing great pain.

And I am not sure if that is Autistic wisdom, or human wisdom, or maybe that I am just an extremely slow learner who in her sixties is finally discovering something that most know before they are even an adult.

Thoughts?

Old 02-25-2016, 09:52 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
vicky3vicky: The first thing that comes to my mind is I am so very sorry for what your family did to you. But you must be one very strong lady to have survived and are here now to talk about it, to even have humor in your life when a lot of us (even without the autistic situation) are unable to laugh.

I'm so glad you are here, posting your true stories with such courage. I am sure you have many "brothers and sisters" who have lived with autism and the torture you endured. Your writing will in my belief help those others like you.

You are a hero to many.

There are some horrible, truly horrible people out there. I live near Syracuse, NY and very recently a father of a 21 month old girl murdered her, burned her, put her in a bag and weighted the bag in water with a cinder block. The little girl had just gotten past a rare form of eye cancer. He was jealous of all the attention the baby was getting from her mother (his wife). Most of us who live here are sick to our stomach and still in some disbelief another person could do such a heinous act.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:46 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

There are some horrible, truly horrible people out there. I live near Syracuse, NY and very recently a father of a 21 month old girl murdered her, burned her, put her in a bag and weighted the bag in water with a cinder block. The little girl had just gotten past a rare form of eye cancer. He was jealous of all the attention the baby was getting from her mother (his wife). Most of us who live here are sick to our stomach and still in some disbelief another person could do such a heinous act.
Indeed there are. Last year a man killed his mother, threw one of his brothers into a river and his other brother in a dumpster.
http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/sear...0f3453bb9.html

Old 02-26-2016, 06:13 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
BJW50: Those stories are widespread across the country (world).

The fact that this was a baby who was murdered and hidden by her jealous father is what makes this particular crime so horrible.

Hard to understand the cruelty of one human being upon another.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:48 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
BJW50: Those stories are widespread across the country (world).

The fact that this was a baby who was murdered and hidden by her jealous father is what makes this particular crime so horrible.

Hard to understand the cruelty of one human being upon another.
Yes, it's sickening. It reminded me of something a long ago email friend in NZ told me. She said that they used to have a serial murderer called "The Baby Farmer." He earned his name from killing babies and burying them in the ground. That person had to be sick. These other rotten people must have been sick in their own way too--a man being so jealous of a sick baby that he murders the child? All I can come up with is that these sick people must have had something very horrible happen in their own childhoods.

Well, on a brighter subject--it's supposed to be back in the 50s again on Sunday. For those of us in the northeast, it definitely feels like spring, especially when we think back to the nightmare of last year at this time. I don't think I was able to open the back door until mid March due to drifts of frozen snow.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:25 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Ok, darling I'm in. It will take awhile, maybe a long while, but it sounds like something I could do well.

After my families devotion to my son is done, once his body is commited to the land, he will he committed to the land and to our Lord. I want to be able to say,rest in peace my dear boy, rest in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement