Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 10:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, it's sickening. It reminded me of something a long ago email friend in NZ told me. She said that they used to have a serial murderer called "The Baby Farmer." He earned his name from killing babies and burying them in the ground. That person had to be sick. These other rotten people must have been sick in their own way too--a man being so jealous of a sick baby that he murders the child? All I can come up with is that these sick people must have had something very horrible happen in their own childhoods.

Well, on a brighter subject--it's supposed to be back in the 50s again on Sunday. For those of us in the northeast, it definitely feels like spring, especially when we think back to the nightmare of last year at this time. I don't think I was able to open the back door until mid March due to drifts of frozen snow.

I agree that he most likely endured horrible things, too, tho it can never be a defense for what he did.

His mother had worked as an advocate for abused children. How sad her own son became the monster.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:23 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,399 times
The weather here in southeastern Arizona is still awesome (upper 70's or low 80's), but I'm having trouble painting because I need to keep adding water to the primer cause the sun beats down on my balcony too much. Think I'll wait until tomorrow morning before sanding and applying the second primer coat.

Went to yard sales yesterday and was very pleased with my bargain finds I found an all wood unfinished bookcase for only $5, a three large size terracotta pots (one with a base!) for a total of $7.50, a very large floral print for $5, and a smaller bathroom print for only $1.

I recently finished redoing a French style chair for my bedroom that I had found for $10. I didn't like the color of the upholstery which was gold and wanted it white. First I tried watered down chalk paint, but because the material was nubby, the paint wasn't covering very well. Next I went to the craft store and bought textile medium to mix with latex paint. Finally I started mixing my own chalk paint (made with baking soda and latex paint) and thinned to a white wash consistency which I then painted on very thickly. Well the upholstery is now very stiff, but it is finally an off-white color I've read that wax will help to soften the upholstery, so I've ordered some clear wax as I was afraid if I used regular paste wax it would give it a yellowish tinge (which I don't want to happen!). I also need to get some fine sandpaper and give it a once over before I apply the wax.

Having good luck with potty training Oreo. I always keep treats and baggies when walking her, and now I'm only crating her at night. I could probably stop crating her at night but think I'll go another week or two.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:50 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
His mother had worked as an advocate for abused children. How sad her own son became the monster.
Is it possible he grew up resenting the time and energy she spent with/on other children and this is what triggered his crimes? That's no excuse but might be his reason.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:56 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Is it possible he grew up resenting the time and energy she spent with/on other children and this is what triggered his crimes? That's no excuse but might be his reason.

It is quite possible that is what triggered his own actions. But there are many reasons that could have made him who he ended up being. For him to murder her, cut her up, burn her, put her in a bag and weigh it down with a brick so it wouldn't float to the top of the water he put her in is still a monstrous act. I would have a very hard time feeling sorry for him. No matter what our beginnings are like, we are still responsible for our own actions.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:39 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,047 times
This is so sickeningly horrible.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:25 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
The weather here in southeastern Arizona is still awesome (upper 70's or low 80's), but I'm having trouble painting because I need to keep adding water to the primer cause the sun beats down on my balcony too much. Think I'll wait until tomorrow morning before sanding and applying the second primer coat.

Went to yard sales yesterday and was very pleased with my bargain finds I found an all wood unfinished bookcase for only $5, a three large size terracotta pots (one with a base!) for a total of $7.50, a very large floral print for $5, and a smaller bathroom print for only $1.

I recently finished redoing a French style chair for my bedroom that I had found for $10. I didn't like the color of the upholstery which was gold and wanted it white. First I tried watered down chalk paint, but because the material was nubby, the paint wasn't covering very well. Next I went to the craft store and bought textile medium to mix with latex paint. Finally I started mixing my own chalk paint (made with baking soda and latex paint) and thinned to a white wash consistency which I then painted on very thickly. Well the upholstery is now very stiff, but it is finally an off-white color I've read that wax will help to soften the upholstery, so I've ordered some clear wax as I was afraid if I used regular paste wax it would give it a yellowish tinge (which I don't want to happen!). I also need to get some fine sandpaper and give it a once over before I apply the wax.

Having good luck with potty training Oreo. I always keep treats and baggies when walking her, and now I'm only crating her at night. I could probably stop crating her at night but think I'll go another week or two.
Oreo is doing great! I love to hear happy, successful pet stories. You've been quite busy!
It's been great weather in FL after cooler weather and wicked storms from El Niño. 70's and blue skies and my azaleas are in bloom along with my geraniums that I planted when we first moved here.

Amazon had a lower than normal price on an Instant Pot a couple of weeks ago and I decided to get one. It's a 7-in-1 appliance: programmable pressure cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, rice cooker, steamer and sautes.

I worried it would be another gadget relegated to a closet, but have been surprised at how much I've used it. I've made the best yogurt twice, steel cut oats several times, a red lentil chili and boneless center cut porkchops in a baby Bella mushroom wine sauce with potatoes and carrots this evening.

The porkchops were seared in olive oil, and then I added the rest of the ingredients. It took 12 minutes to come up to pressure, 18 to cook and 15 slow release pressure and then a quick release. I took out the meat and veggies and added a cornstarch slurry to thicken up the sauce. The searing, cooking and thickening the sauce were all done in the stainless steel insert pot and was the only pot to clean up when I was done. My kitchen didn't look like a bomb had gone off like usual with all the pots, pans and lids afterwards.
There's lots of recipes on the Internet, so it's been easy to make things. I haven't been this impessed in a long time. I never bought a rice cooker or yogurt maker and my old pressure cooker needs replaced, so this thing is perfect for me.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-02-2016 at 06:48 PM..

Old 03-03-2016, 07:18 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
On my way to work yesterday I counted five different kinds of flowers in bloom: the snowdrops (earliest, of course), crocus, daffodils (the small early variety), Lenten Rose, and even the first forsythia. Earlier this we week we had 3 days in the row that got into the low 60's. It was very chilly last night, though.

My handyman started pulling up the old small tiles in my entrance vestibule. It will be re-tiled in marble with a mosaic center medallion. There's dust everywhere!

Old 03-03-2016, 09:01 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Oreo is doing great! I love to hear happy, successful pet stories. You've been quite busy!
It's been great weather in FL after cooler weather and wicked storms from El Niño. 70's and blue skies and my azaleas are in bloom along with my geraniums that I planted when we first moved here.

Amazon had a lower than normal price on an Instant Pot a couple of weeks ago and I decided to get one. It's a 7-in-1 appliance: programmable pressure cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, rice cooker, steamer and sautes.

I worried it would be another gadget relegated to a closet, but have been surprised at how much I've used it. I've made the best yogurt twice, steel cut oats several times, a red lentil chili and boneless center cut porkchops in a baby Bella mushroom wine sauce with potatoes and carrots this evening.

The porkchops were seared in olive oil, and then I added the rest of the ingredients. It took 12 minutes to come up to pressure, 18 to cook and 15 slow release pressure and then a quick release. I took out the meat and veggies and added a cornstarch slurry to thicken up the sauce. The searing, cooking and thickening the sauce were all done in the stainless steel insert pot and was the only pot to clean up when I was done. My kitchen didn't look like a bomb had gone off like usual with all the pots, pans and lids afterwards.
There's lots of recipes on the Internet, so it's been easy to make things. I haven't been this impessed in a long time. I never bought a rice cooker or yogurt maker and my old pressure cooker needs replaced, so this thing is perfect for me.
that instant pot sounds fascinating. I do use my rice cooker, but have always wanted a pressure cooker. I have a pressure canner, but not the same thing.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:54 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
that instant pot sounds fascinating. I do use my rice cooker, but have always wanted a pressure cooker. I have a pressure canner, but not the same thing.

Sounds good to me, too. I want a small living space. I don't need traditional appliances.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:45 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Surprised my older (by 20 years) sister and took her to lunch today. Had a real nice visit. She's about an hour away, so I don't get over there as often as I should. A very nice day.

Oh we ate at the Chinese buffet, owned by Vietnamese and with Mexican cooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement