U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 10:33 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I am crying and so upset. I have to put my sweet 16 year old callie cat to sleep tomorrow. She has a malignant mammary tumor (just like I did) and is so thin and weak and can hardly walk. But she still has the will to get up and wants to go outside where she used to watch the birds. I have been force feeding her baby food and pedialyte and she just doesn't want to go on, yet still wants to be outdoors.

This is so reminiscent of my mother's passing at age 102, where the spirit lived on, but the body had withered. There is nothing like it when a beloved pet passes. I had hoped she would pass peacefully at home, but it's not going to happen. I pray I can get through tomorrow.
PhxBarb: Sending you big hugs. I am so sorry to read about your callie cat. I know the agony you are going through having just gone through it last June. Mimsy was a little love-bug and her illness-stroke-need for euthanasia came very suddenly and very quickly.

I can promise you will get through tomorrow. But I can't promise it won't hurt you. It really tears our hearts out to spend so much time with a pet who brings us so much joy to see them fail and then go to the rainbow bridge.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Wish I could go with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 10:51 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,027,273 times
Quote:
I am crying and so upset. I have to put my sweet 16 year old callie cat to sleep tomorrow. She has a malignant mammary tumor (just like I did) and is so thin and weak and can hardly walk. But she still has the will to get up and wants to go outside where she used to watch the birds. I have been force feeding her baby food and pedialyte and she just doesn't want to go on, yet still wants to be outdoors.

This is so reminiscent of my mother's passing at age 102, where the spirit lived on, but the body had withered. There is nothing like it when a beloved pet passes. I had hoped she would pass peacefully at home, but it's not going to happen. I pray I can get through tomorrow.

Many of us will be with you in spirit. I agree that it is a very hard thing. I have elaborate plans for the care of my animals after my death. One day I realized that it is mainly because I dearly hope they all outlive me.

I hope this day is as peaceful for you both as it is possible to be.

b'smom

Old 03-17-2016, 01:24 PM

11,196 posts, read 12,670,225 times
Sooooooooooooo, it's a beautiful sunny warm (62 here is warm) day today with no wind for a change. Put up a ham radio antenna this morning, and now going to take the dogs for a 5 mile walk. Have spare water for them and a cigar for me.

Good times.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:32 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
Quote:

Barb, this is the hard part with beloved pets. I have an 18 year old cat who is showing her age and it breaks my heart to think of when she won't be here. I wish I could say magic words to make it better, but it's a matter of time to heal. Sending love and good thoughts for you today.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Sooooooooooooo, it's a beautiful sunny warm (62 here is warm) day today with no wind for a change. Put up a ham radio antenna this morning, and now going to take the dogs for a 5 mile walk. Have spare water for them and a cigar for me.

Good times.

My 7 year old granddaughter is on spring break this week. We took the ferry across the Intracoastal in the fog around 10. At 11 the sun broke through for a glorious day with the temp reaching 77. We made big shamrocks outlined with shells on the beach. We bought a shell rake at Walmart yesterday. I asked an employee where I could find one and he said "Oh you mean a Florida snow shovel!" Huh, I guess I did.

The water was turquoise with gentle waves and was not as chilly as I expected, we had fun swimming, jumping the waves and taking a long walk on the beach. We got home, she took a bath, I showered and we met in the kitchen for a quick lunch before picking up her brother from pre-school. We stopped at Dunkin Donuts and got Bostom cremes with green frosting and a latte for their Mommy who we went home to wake up. I left as the sugar was kicking in.

Good times indeed!

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-17-2016 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 03:01 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,122,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
My 7 year old granddaughter is on spring break this week. We took the ferry across the Intracoastal in the fog around 10. At 11 the sun broke through for a glorious day with the temp reaching 77. We made big shamrocks outlined with shells on the beach. We bought a shell rake at Walmart yesterday. I asked an employee where I could find one and he said "Oh you mean a Florida snow shovel!" Huh, I guess I did.

The water was turquoise with gentle waves and was not as chilly as I expected, we had fun swimming, jumping the waves and taking a long walk on the beach. We got home, she took a bath, I showered and we met in the kitchen for a quick lunch before picking up her brother from pre-school. We stopped at Dunkin Donuts and got Bostom cremes with green frosting and a latte for their Mommy who we went home to wake up. I left as the sugar was kicking in.

Good times indeed!
If you are into shelling then definitely plan a trip to Sanibel Island.
Went there and I was in my glory walking the beach at dawn doing the "Sanibel Stoop"

Old 03-17-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you are into shelling then definitely plan a trip to Sanibel Island.
Went there and I was in my glory walking the beach at dawn doing the "Sanibel Stoop"
I love the Sanibel Stoop description, perfect!
Sanibel and Captiva are wonderful, we spent time at Captiva years ago. The Roseate Spoonbills at Ding Darling were worth the trip.

Our beaches are full of shells and shell hunters. Most have rakes or the smaller strainer discs on a stick. Shark teeth are big on the beaches here. The ferry captain had my granddaughter smile and he said she could find some sharks teeth and put them in for her missing teeth and be the coolest kid in school. She said no (don't mess with a seven year old girl)!

The beach erosion is severe this year though, I'd be worried if I owned some of the houses on the beach behind the dunes. Even so, I'd love one of those houses if I could afford one and the flood insurance for a property on a key. Not in this lifetime though.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-17-2016 at 03:42 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 03:59 PM

213 posts, read 194,911 times
Quote:

I am so sorry about your cat. I just lost my 13 year old tabby cat 2 weeks ago due to a heart attack. I know tomorrow will be hard. I will be thinking and praying for you.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:04 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,122,985 times
Quote:

My sympathy for you.

I had only one animal over the years that I had to put to sleep.
The others died in their sleep and was much easier to deal with.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:10 PM

419 posts, read 663,203 times
Quote:

Barb, I am so sorry to hear of the imminent loss of your beloved kitty. I know exactly what you are feeling.

Almost 4 years ago, I drove cross country with my two kitties, Charmin age 13 and Jasper age 7. We settled into our duplex with a screened in patio in Sun City, AZ. I immediately bought them a cat tower where they could sit high and watch the birds, bunnies & geckos. Such happy times for all of us, but unfortunately short lived.

Jasper was diagnosed with IBS in November, 2014. We were able to control his vomiting, but apparently the condition damaged his pancreas. His blood work was fine at the end of April, 2015, but several weeks later I woke up to find him very ill. Unfortunately, he couldn't respond to treatment and I had to have been put down. I was simply heartbroken and still am. Charmin grieved her brother for several months before I was able to get her to snap out of it. She was doing better for awhile but now she sleeps most of the time and eats very little. Yes, they do try to keep going as long as they possibly can. She will be 17 on April 15th but not sure she is going to make it that long.

We were a threesome for so long. Now, the house seems so empty without their vibrant presences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement