U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 10:43 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,174,447 times

Advertisements

I really want raised beds that are waist high - but DH has more projects that are much more important!!!!

Old 03-23-2016, 11:21 AM

25,708 posts, read 42,074,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
That makes no sense. I would think it would give the folks there something to do outside. Well after a dust storm yesterday with 45-50mph sustained winds, gusts at 74mph, I awoke to snow this morning.
We just got the dust and wind, no snow here in the Albuquerque area

Old 03-23-2016, 03:33 PM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
These raised beds are waist high for easy access. The grant person is a master gardener/grant writer from the local university.

There is quite a bit of produce sharing during the growing season, so I think members who are still interested and able do garden at home. People dress up to come to the center here. Even the ones who come to exercise often have lunch and play cards later.

Someone's good idea gone wrong. Maybe this year will be different.
Maybe they would be interested if gardening lessons were offered. We made loads of goofs - sometimes expensive ones. Maybe the members aren't willing to take a chance without some good guidance.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:11 PM

1,959 posts, read 1,029,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Maybe they would be interested if gardening lessons were offered. We made loads of goofs - sometimes expensive ones. Maybe the members aren't willing to take a chance without some good guidance.
I really don't think people come to our center to stand in the sun and get dirty. Its more of a hairdo, manicure, and matching outfit kind of place.

A miscalculation on the part of someone.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:41 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
That's alot of dirt to fill up waist-high beds ! Must grow exceptionally good stuff and I would be first in line to get one.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:36 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
This would be necessary for me to be able to garden. I get flashbacks of the garden in my back yard & my little neighbor 'helping' me with 'Our' garden. What a fun time that was, watching her at two taking my flowers for her mom, (her mom was aghast), to her helping at 3 on to plant, water and pick the produce.

I would love to plant herbs, beans & whatever again. What a joy it is to eat your own homegrown things.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:27 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
We grow rhubarb, tomatoes and cucumbers. My wife does a lot of canning.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 AM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
I always have a parsley plant on the windowsill and in summer I grow rosemary outside. I wish we could over-winter rosemary in this climate. I also grow a few tomato plants by starting them in April on the porch. I've started spinach inside this year and will plant some beet seeds outside once it's warm enough.

I do wish I had room for strawberries--there's nothing better than your own ripe strawberries, picked any time you feel like it. Summer squash doesn't do well in my yard or I'd have that too. I just just have small patches of different herbs and vegetables, no big deal. I never want more than one or two tomato plants because they end up coming all at once.

I think a community garden center at a senior center would be fun--I just can't understand why people wouldn't want that unless they already have their garden at home. It's good exercise, fun, and you end up with good fresh food. Even just a flower garden at the front entrance of the senior center would be a nice little project.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:07 AM

834 posts, read 794,543 times
I really like the idea of raised beds. If you just wanted a very basic one they seem so simple to make. It is a wood box that is not very deep. I guess it depends what you want to plant in it. Then it is just the 4 legs with the legs being made to whatever height you want. I'm not very handy but I have often thought about trying to make one myself. So far I haven't got past the "thought about" stage.

That is really too bad that the senior center is not making use of those raised beds. I don't know how big or deep they are but I was wondering if they could take the soil out and then donate them? The senior centers around here are usually in someone else's building like in a church and they wouldn't be able to have them. However, I know of some low income housing complexes where they would work out perfectly. Would that be a possibility in your area?

Old 03-24-2016, 09:33 AM

6,618 posts, read 5,275,385 times
I was going to keep it low key this season with the gardening, but the urge to add more is too much. I even bought some watermelon seedlings yesterday. I'm thinking of ordering two more raised beds! I have ten right now. They are not huge - 42"X42". I want to have one tomato plant per. I want plenty of room to walk around the them and keep them neat and tidy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement