U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 10:20 AM

8,322 posts, read 12,075,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Wow ... what a gorgeous room. Very tastefully decorated.

The thing I especially like about the room is the details that appear to be "American Arts & Crafts" or "Craftsman" style. Look at those squared columns between the living room and the dining room!

What part of Miami is it locate (don't have to be too specific! ) I grew up in Hollywood, up in Broward County.
Thank you very much. Here is another view of those columns, this time from the dining room looking into the living room. You can also see a bit of both the LR & DR chandeliers as well. In fact, there are chandeliers throughout the house, even in the bathrooms! I'll also attach a photo of one bathroom below.

The general area that we live in is called Coral Way and is located between Coral Gables and downtown Miami.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Way
Attached Thumbnails
Chat Thread-columns-lr.jpg   Chat Thread-bath.jpg  

Old 04-07-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Do you still have the house in Vegas?

When we're not traveling, we're pretty much living in Miami/Miami Beach full time now, although we did make it back to Vegas for a week in February. We're hoping to go back in July for a week or so as well.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:01 AM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Thank you very much. Here is another view of those columns, this time from the dining room looking into the living room. You can also see a bit of both the LR & DR chandeliers as well. In fact, there are chandeliers throughout the house, even in the bathrooms! I'll also attach a photo of one bathroom below.

The general area that we live in is called Coral Way and is located between Coral Gables and downtown Miami.

I love, love, love, love, love your home and the way you decorated it. The lacquered Chinese screens are very elegant. Chandeliers? Well, I'm a chandelier freak myself!

Know the area very well. When I graduated college I lived in Coconut Grove on Virginia Street. There once was a informal Cuban restaurant called The Latin American Cafeteria on Coral Way that made the very best Cuban sandwiches and Medianoche sandwiches in the universe!!! Years later when I was in Havana Cuba I was praising the sandwiches over there but had to admit that there was a place in Coral Gables that even made better Cuban sandwich ... BTW no one took offense and they too had heard that Cuban cuisine was as good in Miami if not better than in Cuba itself. Even the Versailles restaurant on Calle Ocho doesn't make sandwiches as good as that place. I wonder if it's still there??? It was so many years ago ... I'm talking more than 30 years ago.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:12 AM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
Okay ... I did a GOOGLE search and there still is a Latin American Cafeteria at 1590 Coral Way ... although it appears to be different building (modernized perhaps???)

Unfortunately I read a few reviews and apparently the quality has slipped. One reviewer flatly stated that it is no longer as good as it once was years ago. Oh well.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Okay ... I did a GOOGLE search and there still is a Latin American Cafeteria at 1590 Coral Way ... although it appears to be different building (modernized perhaps???)

Unfortunately I read a few reviews and apparently the quality has slipped. One reviewer flatly stated that it is no longer as good as it once was years ago. Oh well.

That's not the one from your youth. The one you're recalling was located on 29th Avenue and Coral Way. I found a Miami New Times article from 2011 that tells the fascinating story of what happened to the original (and the owner, Raul Galindo):

Raul Galindo, former king of the Cuban sandwich, wants his throne back | Miami New Times

The above article is from March 2011; unfortunately, Galindo passed away less than a year later in early 2012.

Raśl Galindo, Miami's Cuban Sandwich King, Remembered at Funerary Mass | Miami New Times

Old 04-07-2016, 03:35 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:

Madman - That house is just too cute - love older homes with all the character. New homes just don't have it.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:21 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:

Beautiful house and lovely architechture. And great pics.

We went to Bok Tower in central FL over the holidays and went through Pinewood Estates, a 20 room Mediterrean style-mansion built in the thirties. A different style of architecture and quite beautiful.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:35 PM

Interesting (at least to me) factoid: There are more Chinese restaurants in the U.S. than McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, and Wendy's - combined!

Old 04-09-2016, 08:15 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Gorgeous today in FL, 60 degrees, high of 73 with 30% humidity; a lovely spring day. I realized all the beautiful spring flowers people have in their yards are amaryllis. I need some for next year. The live oaks have finally shed their old leaves and the new bright green leaves are on. FL may be green all year, but there are subtle variations and seasons that a casual observer can easily miss. I feel that same spring time frame of mind here; a new beginning and possibilities.

DH has been checking/cleaning solar LED lights we have on the eaves for spotlights. He replaced an old one with a new one last weekend but noticed it wasn't working last night. He took it apart and the wire to the rechargeable battery was not connected. It probably passed any QC done since a battery put in turned it on. The problem was the battery discharges and then it no longer works. A voltmeter and soldering iron is a necessity with cheap electronics from China.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:05 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Default 13-hour day Friday - felt so strange!

Friday left home at 7:00 a.m. and returned home about 8:00 p.m. That would not have been at all unusual while I was working, but it had been a while since I'd had such a day and it reminded me of how spoiled I have become. Actually it felt good - it made me feel more fully alive. It was not at all difficult, just unusual.

Noticed on the computer at 6:00 a.m. that a job was available that day starting at 7:40 a.m., so I grabbed the job and rushed to leave by 7:00 (25 to 30 minutes to get there). Worked the job until about 2:30 (substitute teaching), but decided not to go home because I had been invited to an evening affair, a science exposition, in the immediate area starting at 6:00 p.m. So I got something to eat and hung out at a local library for a while instead of spending the hour (round trip) to go home and come back to almost the same place.

It was an enjoyable day. The most interesting thing was probably sitting next to a fifth grader (11 years old, for Pete's sake!) for about 15 minutes in the evening (at the science exposition) as he worked on a Chrome Book creating an object for 3D printing. (It was a clever concept - a Lamborghini auotomobile with a "taxi" sign on top!). He explained to me what he was doing and answered my questions about the process. It was a fascinating learning experience for me but at the same time it was a little sad because it made a realize once again that as an ancient fossil myself I am no longer truly part of the human race. The human race has simply passed me by; that 11-year-old inhabits a world where I simply cannot follow. I have email and use it daily, and I do online banking, but those things are already old hat, VERY old hat.

However, having said that, I maintain that certain ancient and traditional practices remain valid and beneficial for the human race; I had several parents tell me how much their 11-year-olds enjoy my reading aloud to them and how much they talk about it at home. So perhaps I am still hanging on by my fingernails to my membership in our species, i.e., to a certain relevancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement