U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times

Advertisements

Sending out a prayerful thought to our CD community in the Midwest, try to stay safe in the turbulent storms, tornadoes and flooding. I hope there are many shelters set up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 09:33 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,609,304 times
Waiting to hear from friends in the region . . . it has been a rough time for many.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 AM

2,606 posts, read 1,243,689 times
Here in Oklahoma, we could possibly be in for another rough time today. Yesterday's weather system hit north and east of where I am. Today southern Oklahoma has more of a chance for severe storms.

Keeping a watch on the weather!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,118,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sending out a prayerful thought to our CD community in the Midwest, try to stay safe in the turbulent storms, tornadoes and flooding. I hope there are many shelters set up.
Thank you for bringing this up, and I totally agree. What a tragedy and what a frightening thing to go through. Like anifani, we're also waiting to hear from friends in the OKC area and also in Arkansas, which may be hit tomorrow. Very scary. Can't believe the footage of the school, hoping for the best but it looks grim.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:51 PM

Stay safe everyone and keep you cellphones etc. charged. Plus all the usual, store water, etc. Is it the Southwest window to open? (trying to remember what we did when we lived in Missouri) and keep supplies in the basement if you have one.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,019,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Stay safe everyone and keep you cellphones etc. charged. Plus all the usual, store water, etc. Is it the Southwest window to open? (trying to remember what we did when we lived in Missouri) and keep supplies in the basement if you have one.
I think they don't recommend opening the windows anymore.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I think they don't recommend opening the windows anymore.
I thought opening a window helped relieve some of the pressure so the house is less likely to explode.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:08 AM

You guys intrigued me, so I looked it up. Right now the open window suggestion is being labelled a weather myth. But who knows, maybe in a few years they will discover a little bit more and decide there was some merit to the idea after all.

Top Five Tornado Myths Debunked

BTW NOAS's website has a funny note about this: "Forget about the notion of opening windows to equalize pressure; the tornado will blast open the windows for you." LOL and hmmmmm..... they've got a point there....

Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 AM

Speaking about the tornado, did y'all see the interview with the lady who found her dog? She was being interviewed in front of a huge pile of rubble, being stoic about what she had just been through but sad about losing her dog. The interview goes on for about a 90 seconds or so--mostly discussing other details of the tornado--when her dog pokes his head through the mountain of rubble and seems to be ok. Talk about amazing timing and happy for her that even though she lost everything at least her dog made it.

Okla. tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble - CBS News Video

Although... boo on the camera crew for not immediately helping her lift the rubble to get the dog out. To be fair they helped her after a second or two and after she tearfully says "help me" but I think if I was in that situation, the moment I saw that dog's face I would have put the camera down and gotten those heavy pieces out of the way.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:20 AM

Like it or not, climate changes are going to make tornadoes and hurricanes a lot more frequent and nasty. This latest tornado in OK was two miles wide. Isn't this the area that got socked with an EF-5 last year or the year before? And there was less than 20 min. warning this time? If these residents can possibly relocate they might be wise to do so. Anyone living in a known concentrated region of tornadoes and hurricanes should imo think twice about staying there, though of course they can happen anywhere in isolated instances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement