U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-30-2016, 11:59 PM
 
10,851 posts, read 8,203,309 times
Reputation: 17210

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
I frequent a chain grocery store (Aldi) which does not take credit cards either.
Aldi's now takes credit cards!

 
Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 AM
 
6,618 posts, read 5,275,385 times
Reputation: 13732
I haven't been getting much sleep. I am being very cranky with family members. Speaking what is on my mind lately. My mom is touch and go and I guess the stress is getting to me.

Do you ever feel like running away from your family - lol?
 
Old 05-31-2016, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Reputation: 11779
Of course, Clemencia. This just shows that you are normal. All of us need some time to ourselves to refresh and regroup. There have been times when I did "run away" from my family, usually just to a hotel, overnight, and got a wonderful reprieve from the tension. You should get away whenever you need to. It's good mental health and allows you to come back and deal with it, whatever "it" is.
 
Old 06-01-2016, 04:44 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Surprising Things That Raise Your Dementia Risk

My sister takes both prescription drugs and a lot of OTC meds like these, and she is displaying really scattered thinking and talk at the age of 66.
 
Old 06-01-2016, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,759 posts, read 4,274,457 times
Reputation: 6869
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Surprising Things That Raise Your Dementia Risk

My sister takes both prescription drugs and a lot of OTC meds like these, and she is displaying really scattered thinking and talk at the age of 66.
I was shocked to read about a recent study that suggests a rapid release of beta amyloid is an immunological response to an infection of the brain. The scientists could actually see where the amyloid surrounded the microbes.

This New York Times article explains it the best:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/he...infection.html

For those who can't access the NYT, here's another report of the study:
Study Links Infections to Alzheimer's - Alzheimer's Disease - Health.com

This seems to support earlier studies that found Alzheimer's more prevalent among those with a history of infections, including both herpes and h. pylori.

If Alzheimer's is actually caused by our body's natural response for fighting infections, I have a lot more hope that the younger generations will be able to avoid this dreaded disease.
 
Old 06-01-2016, 07:21 AM
 
6,618 posts, read 5,275,385 times
Reputation: 13732
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Of course, Clemencia. This just shows that you are normal. All of us need some time to ourselves to refresh and regroup. There have been times when I did "run away" from my family, usually just to a hotel, overnight, and got a wonderful reprieve from the tension. You should get away whenever you need to. It's good mental health and allows you to come back and deal with it, whatever "it" is.
One thing that is stressful is that my sibling that is with me most of the time is losing it. Maybe early dementia?

Just this morning while getting mom ready for a appointment, I had to tell her three time that I already had her jacket. She kept going to the closet to get it.

Also forgets her primary Doctor name and that whole scenario

Things I feel are common sense have to be explained. Hope today is uneventful
 
Old 06-01-2016, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
...........

If Alzheimer's is actually caused by our body's natural response for fighting infections, I have a lot more hope that the younger generations will be able to avoid this dreaded disease.
I take issued with the word "caused". From what I have read, the risk factors for Alzheimer's are multiple, and they include a history of smoking, lack of exercise, and low levels of formal education. Now we seem to be adding a history of fighting infections; O.K., I accept that, but the way I see it it is just one more risk factor added to the list.
 
Old 06-01-2016, 09:36 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Reputation: 34750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
I take issued with the word "caused". From what I have read, the risk factors for Alzheimer's are multiple, and they include a history of smoking, lack of exercise, and low levels of formal education. Now we seem to be adding a history of fighting infections; O.K., I accept that, but the way I see it it is just one more risk factor added to the list.
My dad died of Alzheimer's. He had absolutely none of those risk factors. No family history, no history of fighting infections, he had smoked for only maybe four years when he was younger, he was an avid gardener, golfer, had been a soccer coach, did lawn bowling with "the boys", loved working outside on the house and in the yard, and he had a master's degree.

My sisters and my mother and I were fairly certain of the cause because we saw it coming. He was a teacher and had to find another job during the summers. The major employer in our area was Monsanto. His summer job consisted of sitting all night long in a little room with a vat of molten plastic. He had to monitor the machine and pour plastic into the machine and make sure it kept going. At the end of the night, he would turn the machine off, and plastic snaky things would come dripping out from the nozzle. These would harden and he would bring them home for us kids to play with.

This went on year in and year out. Exposure to molten plastic with absolutely no ventilation in the room.

Also, being an avid vegetable gardener, he gradually drifted away from the old fashioned methods taught to him by his father. Instead of collecting wood ashes and making compost from kitchen waste (I remember my grandfather doing this for his huge vegetable garden) my dad started using chemicals. He kind of got addicted to spraying everything, using chemical fertilizers, everything bought from the store.

Add that to his do it yourself painting, furniture refinishing (big YUCK--those varnishes, polyurethane, stains) and is it any wonder he started to get sick. First signs of it were when he'd start hollering when my mother would get out the furniture polish. He'd get all crazy. The furniture polish was petroleum based, just like plastics are petroleum based. Then he got so he'd get all confused and angry when driving with the car windows open--but when he got home and wasn't breathing the exhaust fumes (petroleum again) he was fine. The final proof was when we went as a family to an antique store where they were spraying some furniture polish. He suddenly became disoriented and asked where he was!

By that time we knew we were onto something so we dragged him out into the fresh air and, almost immediately, he was fine. Just couldn't remember anything about having been in the store!

My sister said she saw him at their winter home in Florida, get disoriented from spraying something around the porch for mold. He wouldn't stop using stuff like that and his health got worse and worse, coming and going with each exposure until it stopped coming and going; it just stayed.

The rest is an absolute nightmare that I can't bear to speak about. But one of the teachers I worked with had a mother who was an artist--worked with OIL paints and had Alzheimer's. Although this may be only anecdotal, it's true. Of course there must be people who wouldn't have gotten sick from so much chemical exposure but for a lot of people it could be a factor. Just a word to the wise. BTW, his siblings lived well into their 90s--none of them worked in a plastics factory or refinished furniture. They died of "old age" and were sharp as a tack.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-02-2016 at 07:59 AM..
 
Old 06-02-2016, 11:26 AM
 
Location: SW US
2,266 posts, read 2,086,106 times
Reputation: 3935
Thank you for posting this. Too many people think that just because chemicals are sold, that they are safe for everyone at any level. I'm sorry about your father. What he had might also be called toxic encephalopathy.
 
Old 06-02-2016, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Reputation: 32336
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My dad died of Alzheimer's. He had absolutely none of those risk factors. No family history, no history of fighting infections, he had smoked for only maybe four years when he was younger, he was an avid gardener, golfer, had been a soccer coach, did lawn bowling with "the boys", loved working outside on the house and in the yard, and he had a master's degree.

My sisters and my mother and I were fairly certain of the cause because we saw it coming. He was a teacher and had to find another job during the summers. The major employer in our area was Monsanto. His summer job consisted of sitting all night long in a little room with a vat of molten plastic. He had to monitor the machine and pour plastic into the machine and make sure it kept going. At the end of the night, he would turn the machine off, and plastic snaky things would come dripping out from the nozzle. These would harden and he would bring them home for us kids to play with.

This went on year in and year out. Exposure to molten plastic with absolutely no ventilation in the room.

Also, being an avid vegetable gardener, he gradually drifted away from the old fashioned methods taught to him by his father. Instead of collecting wood ashes and making compost from kitchen waste (I remember my grandfather doing this for his huge vegetable garden) my dad started using chemicals. He kind of got addicted to spraying everything, using chemical fertilizers, everything bought from the store.

Add that to his do it yourself painting, furniture refinishing (big YUCK--those varnishes, polyurethane, stains) and is it any wonder he started to get sick. First signs of it were when he'd start hollering when my mother would get out the furniture polish. He'd get all crazy. The furniture polish was petroleum based, just like plastics are petroleum based. Then he got so he'd get all confused and angry when driving with the car windows open--but when he got home and wasn't breathing the exhaust fumes (petroleum again) he was fine. The final proof was when we went as a family to an antique store where they were spraying some furniture polish. He suddenly became disoriented and asked where he was!

By that time we knew we were onto something so we dragged him out into the fresh air and, almost immediately, he was fine. Just couldn't remember anything about having been in the store!

My sister said she saw him at their winter home in Florida, get disoriented from spraying something around the porch for mold. He wouldn't stop using stuff like that and his health got worse and worse, coming and going with each exposure until it stopped coming and going; it just stayed.

The rest is an absolute nightmare that I can't bear to speak about. But one of the teachers I worked with had a mother who was an artist--worked with OIL paints and had Alzheimer's. Although this may be only anecdotal, it's true. Of course there must be people who wouldn't have gotten sick from so much chemical exposure but for a lot of people it could be a factor. Just a word to the wise. BTW, his siblings lived well into their 90s--none of them worked in a plastics factory or refinished furniture. They died of "old age" and were sharp as a tack.
I am so sorry about your father. I trust you understand that I made no claim to have listed ALL the risk factors, nor did I claim that people who have no known risk factors do not get Alzheimer's. It is a bit analagous to lung cancer; rarely, people who have never smoked do get lung cancer. A risk factor just increases one's risk statistically, as I'm sure you know as well or better than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top