U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2016, 10:36 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times

Advertisements

Seems really nuts on a holiday weekend. Why would they do this, unless there was some emergency (like a sinkhole we had recently) and didn't have time to warn you. I hope you are stocked up with bottled water, although it would take alot of it to take a bath !

Old 07-01-2016, 11:20 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
No emergency - they've been working on redoing our streets for WEEKS. Of all times they chose to move the water main lines - granted, Minneapolis & burbs clear out on weekends (everybody has a lake home on one of those 10,0000 lakes) but they failed to realize that nearly everyone on my block does not. I can do without water for 10 hours IF I know ahead of time. I feel for the guys working - they are getting blasted by people and it's probably some know it all fresh out of college that really doesn't know squat that's making these decisions.

Just got back from buying lots and lots of water -guess who's getting the bill?

I have a beautiful catalpa tree in front that I planted when it was literally 1 stick 2 ft tall and maybe 2" around - it is now 25' and huge and in the process of flowering. I get compliments all the time. It was planted 7' from the curb - it is now less than 3' plus they have torn large branches off it. I went and trimmed back many other branches so they wouldn't rip anymore off. I have put the workers and the boss on notice - anything happen to that tree and be prepared to write a check $85,000 (no, I'm not kidding).

OK - I'm done now~~~~~~~~~~

Old 07-01-2016, 06:31 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Catalpa... hmmm. Is that the tree that makes long green cigars and drops them all over? My grandparents had one in their front yard in IL back in the 40s or 50s. Definitely provided great shade.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:14 PM

Yes, it produces long bean like things. This pic doesn't reflect how big the leaves are -probably twice the size of my hand. Very tropical looking. I catch people cutting the flowers all the time - not a big deal.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:50 AM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
I've been clean the big crystal chandelier in the dining room. People are astonished that I get on a ladder and carefully undress it section by section, bathing all the crystal pendants and chains by hand.

"Why don't you just spray it with a spray bottle clean?" they ask.

I wish it would be that easy ... but I want it to be really clean and sparkly. It's an elaborate chandelier with two tiers, 15 arms, and over 900 crystals if you count the small octagon crystals on the chains. It weighs over a hundred pounds.

When I was a little kid lighting fixtures fascinated me. I consider a chandelier "jewelry for the room."

Happy Glorious Fourth everyone.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:32 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've been clean the big crystal chandelier in the dining room. People are astonished that I get on a ladder and carefully undress it section by section, bathing all the crystal pendants and chains by hand.

"Why don't you just spray it with a spray bottle clean?" they ask.

I wish it would be that easy ... but I want it to be really clean and sparkly. It's an elaborate chandelier with two tiers, 15 arms, and over 900 crystals if you count the small octagon crystals on the chains. It weighs over a hundred pounds.

When I was a little kid lighting fixtures fascinated me. I consider a chandelier "jewelry for the room."

Happy Glorious Fourth everyone.
I really admire how you feel about your chandelier. I can visualize the beauty and appreciate the need to care for it as you are doing. I'm glad you did not let someone talk you into the "easy way" of cleaning it.

I believe it says a lot about you, Clark Park.

Wishing you a wonderful Fourth of July.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:36 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Another Fourth of July is almost here. I love the meaning behind it, the music written for it, and I for one am truly so grateful to have been born here and am able to enjoy my life here.

Sometimes I wish I could repeat some of the History classes I took in school. When I was younger, I did not appreciate the work it took for us to enjoy the freedoms we have.

Happy July 4th!!

Old 07-03-2016, 10:47 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Here in NY's Hudson Valley, it has been a beautiful weekend with warm days and cool nights. We are heading back to FL at the end of next week for DH's work and family things and are making the most of our time left here.

While we've been in NY we had the trees trimmed and two trees cabled, the boiler serviced and expansion tank on it replaced. DH put in a new sump pump and plumbing in the basement, rehung our front door, glazed a few windows and serviced our snowblower that the neighbor's keep at their house to use. We ask that they keep the walk to our front door clear in return. I've washed windows/storms and weeded (mainly missed/lichen) from between the multitude of pavers. We have more pavers than lawn, so the seemingly never ending job did finally end. DH is on vacation now and we have more things on the to-do list but plenty of time for them and some fun to be had too.

Our village here has a parade at 5:00 and fireworks at dark tomorrow with activities all day at the town park, it's small town America at its best. Our neighbors across the street invited us to their cookout/ barbecue tomorrow along with friends, family and more neighbors. It's always an eclectic group and will be fun.

In FL, our son picked two pineapples that were ripe at our house and said there are two more that should be ripe after we return. Finally! I've never had any from my plants and if I can beat out the raccoons I may get to this year.

I've always liked the Fourth of July; my bee balm flowers are blooming and look like fireworks and I hope to see lightening bugs/fireflies before we leave. This time is the best part of summer here, IMO.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-03-2016 at 11:09 AM..

Old 07-03-2016, 12:10 PM

As I have mentioned, the city is putting in all new roads, curbs, gas lines, water mains etc... I haven't been able to look out my bedroom window for a long time so now that it's the weekend and "they" are all gone I decided to remedy that, if only for another day (they'll be back).

Couldn't believe just how filthy everything was - the grime is evenly distributed so it didn't look that dirty (except the windows). Grime rolled down the front of my house - really gross. I'll have to do this again but for today and tomorrow it's clean. Now, my poor car - can hardly tell it's red.

Clark - Lots of tedious work there. Do the crystals come off? I read where you can put them in the dish washer (yes, glass crystals) on a short wash. I know people that have done it and they were very pleased.

Jean - the Hudson Valley must be gorgeous. You two really know how to get it done

Old 07-03-2016, 07:19 PM

3,759 posts, read 4,274,457 times
After 2 + weeks in FL, I recently returned home with one dog in tow. It was not mine. I left behind my (new) beautiful granddaughter. I would have preferred leaving Lady Cujo and taking my grandchild instead, but I figured her parents would not be too keen with that idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement