U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 05:33 AM

14,017 posts, read 17,936,627 times

Advertisements

Local boy makes good!

A Retirement Forum poster, Volosong, has just been appointed as the moderator of the Idaho Forum.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:42 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,245,184 times
Congrats to you, Volosong ! Don't forget us here in Retirement!

Old 07-10-2016, 07:15 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
We made our return NY to FL trip this weekend. Two twelve+ hour days traveling with pets and we made the 12 hour roadtrip to IN to visit our parents the month before. I wish I had the time to get off the interstates to see local attractions and funky named towns. Signs for things we've driven by for years that have piqued our interest, but have no wish to make a long day even longer by taking a detour to see them. I'd love to think we might make time to do that one day when we are no longer pressed for time to be somewhere. I think once there is no longer a reason to make the trips though, I don't think we would chose to do it.

I love driving through the mountains and looking down into the farms and towns of the Pennsylvania mountains along I80 giving way to Ohio farmlands and the rolling mountains and valleys of I81 through Virginia transitioning to the coastal areas of South Carolina. Those two areas make part of the long drives enjoyable for me, they are beautiful parts of the country.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:17 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,619,362 times
Thank you very much, ER and PhxBarb, for the kudos. No, I won't forget my friends here in the Retirement forum.

Just today, I was thinking about a post I made, maybe about two and a half years ago, lamenting that I had three more years before I retire and how could I possibly stand waiting that long. Many of you came back and said that the time will fly by so quickly that I'll wonder what happened to it.

Now, somewhere around eight months left before my last paycheck, I do indeed wonder where the time went. And there is so very much still to do before I retire. My employer has hired my replacement and I start training him at the beginning of September. But, I only get him on a 1/4 time basis. Don't know how I'm going to be able to do a mental data dump in that short amount of time. So much that he needs to learn.

Then I have to get the house ready to sell. What a huge job! Packing has started, as well as multiple trips to the Salvation Army. It is mentally tiring because every single thing I pick up has to have a decision made about it. Do I pack it up and haul it up to Idaho? Do I trash it or leave it on the curb for someone to have? Or, Do I put it in the other room until I have enough to make a run to the Salvation Army?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I'm still in the house for several months after I retire. We'll se.

- - -

Financially, I think I'm in good order. The fee-only financial advisor I spoke to in Boise says that my plan will be fine, as long as I'll be content living with my much reduced monthly income. I'm having a difficult time accepting one of his recommendations. He wants me to live off of my 403(b) funds until I'm 70, at which time I should start SS benefits. I really don't feel like I want to tap into my 'nest egg', because once it is gone . . . it's gone forever! I'll be retiring at age 65 and a half and planned to start SS when I turn 66. The difference between getting SS at 65 and at 70 is about $800 a month.

Thanks again for the congrats. I still read the Retirement forum, but haven't had much to contribute. I'm learning from all of you.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:50 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,100 times
My wife went on a road trip with her sister. It'll be me and the animals until next Wednesday.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:33 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,771,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We made our return NY to FL trip this weekend. Two twelve+ hour days traveling with pets and we made the 12 hour roadtrip to IN to visit our parents the month before. I wish I had the time to get off the interstates to see local attractions and funky named towns. Signs for things we've driven by for years that have piqued our interest, but have no wish to make a long day even longer by taking a detour to see them. I'd love to think we might make time to do that one day when we are no longer pressed for time to be somewhere. I think once there is no longer a reason to make the trips though, I don't think we would chose to do it.
My wife and I were both military brats and as such were often driven across the country and back due to our fathers' changes of stations. Those were as close to vacations as our families ever had but unfortunately, both our fathers shared the same trait. Neither would take side trips of stop to see "the two headed snake" or "the teepee and Indian chief" (memories of Rte. 66 in the '50s and early '60s) no matter how we begged. It was very disappointing.

With that in mind I planned my own, cross-country, military trips in the '60s and '70s to accommodate my own children and made every change of station trek a real adventure for them. I have done the same for my wife's and my trips both pre- and post-retirement. It's fun for both of us.

Jean, don't wait for more time, a better time, longer time, etc. I think you'll live to regret it. Indulge yourselves and your curiosity. Sometimes my wife and ZZI will just take off with nowhere in min d and no planned destination just to explore. It may just be a day trip or longer and while we may not know nor care where we'll end up, our GPS always gets us back home. It really is fun! Over-thinking a trip and detailed planning not so much.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:01 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,352,233 times
Default This is how we travel now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My wife and I were both military brats and as such were often driven across the country and back due to our fathers' changes of stations. Those were as close to vacations as our families ever had but unfortunately, both our fathers shared the same trait. Neither would take side trips of stop to see "the two headed snake" or "the teepee and Indian chief" (memories of Rte. 66 in the '50s and early '60s) no matter how we begged. It was very disappointing.

With that in mind I planned my own, cross-country, military trips in the '60s and '70s to accommodate my own children and made every change of station trek a real adventure for them. I have done the same for my wife's and my trips both pre- and post-retirement. It's fun for both of us.

Jean, don't wait for more time, a better time, longer time, etc. I think you'll live to regret it. Indulge yourselves and your curiosity. Sometimes my wife and ZZI will just take off with nowhere in min d and no planned destination just to explore. It may just be a day trip or longer and while we may not know nor care where we'll end up, our GPS always gets us back home. It really is fun! Over-thinking a trip and detailed planning not so much.
We are in no hurry. We take lots of side trips. Stop if we are tired. We spend an extra day of two when we find a place interesting.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:01 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,771,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
We are in no hurry. We take lots of side trips. Stop if we are tired. We spend an extra day of two when we find a place interesting.
In my sometimes not so humble opinion, that's the only way to travel. Retirement should include retiring from schedules and itineraries, especially other peoples'!

Old 07-12-2016, 05:05 PM

6,612 posts, read 5,275,385 times
We liked to stop at all the little towns and look around. Very relaxing.

Right now I wish I could just take off with some friends/family and just roam around the country!

Old 07-14-2016, 05:17 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
We are fans of short road trips and love to stop on a whim, we can't when we are trips to see people, we are in a hurry to see them as soon as we can. On the NY to FL route, the pets are with us and we just want the trip to end as soon as it can.

I've always enjoyed weather, in all forms, and had our NY weather figured out with occasional edge remnants of hurricanes blow through our area and the Nor'Easters in winter. I could usually read clouds and shifts in wind directions to know what was coming.

We are in FL now and the normal afternoon storm cycle has started, a bit later than it usually does. Scattered coastal storms from the Gulf roll on shore in the morning and travel across the state. The storms reverse (?ocean breezes?) and travel back across to collide with the Gulf sea breezes making big, fast-moving afternoon storms dumping rain. Being the lightening capital of the U.S., there is plenty of strikes along with weird shelf clouds that look like the end of the world. Then it moves offshore. It was 93 with a feels like temp of 100 before the storm, now after the storm it's 76 and feels like 76. Weather on a peninsula will take a while to figure out.

https://weather.com/science/news/she...hotos-20130412
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement