U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-31-2016, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Cochise County, AZ
1,352 posts, read 866,453 times
Reputation: 2940

Advertisements

Just thought I'd post to let everyone know that I'm doing ok. I've been having some computer glitches so I think my mother board may be going out so I haven't been using the computer very much for a couple of months. I need to get my car fixed before I even think about purchasing a new computer. I could use my Kindle but I find it difficult to navigate this forum on it

Hope every one is doing ok. I've been keeping busy with Friends of the Library and being a member of the Parks and Rec. board. I'm also reading a ton of books, and I'm actually ahead of schedule on the Goodread's reading challenge. Yeehaw!

Been in Arizona for over 9 months now, and I'm loving every bit of it

 
Old 08-01-2016, 05:37 AM
 
2,580 posts, read 2,172,364 times
Reputation: 3836
So nice to read this Deelighted. I recognize your name but not much else- always nice to read about someone who is doing well and made some changes!
 
Old 08-01-2016, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,933,764 times
Reputation: 32336
Golly gee, time flies when we're having fun.

Just re-read that sticky post about the creation of a new sub-forum for Medicare and other health insurance issues. (Wasn't it just made a sticky here recently?)

I remember that happening and that there was a discussion about it, but I was a little shocked that it's already been four years ago!
 
Old 08-04-2016, 01:52 AM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
5,101 posts, read 3,576,860 times
Reputation: 10942
Still up. Beautiful storm tonight. Lightening and thunder, I love it.

We also had tornados but no one was hurt, at least accordinging to the news. I wouldn't have enjoyed the storm if I had heard someone had been hurt.
 
Old 08-04-2016, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Just thought I'd post to let everyone know that I'm doing ok. I've been having some computer glitches so I think my mother board may be going out so I haven't been using the computer very much for a couple of months. I need to get my car fixed before I even think about purchasing a new computer. I could use my Kindle but I find it difficult to navigate this forum on it

Hope every one is doing ok. I've been keeping busy with Friends of the Library and being a member of the Parks and Rec. board. I'm also reading a ton of books, and I'm actually ahead of schedule on the Goodread's reading challenge. Yeehaw!

Been in Arizona for over 9 months now, and I'm loving every bit of it

Hi stranger! I'm so glad to hear that you've settled in so nicely. I still haven't been able to make any plans to get down there but it needs to be pretty soon. I also need to go see my brother and granddaughter and her family. Just way too much going on here!


Nine months! Doesn't seem that long...
 
Old 08-04-2016, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Still up. Beautiful storm tonight. Lightening and thunder, I love it.

We also had tornados but no one was hurt, at least accordinging to the news. I wouldn't have enjoyed the storm if I had heard someone had been hurt.

I love our big storms too but the last one has caused me some problems! It was like a hurricane what with the wind trying to blow everything away and the rain going sideways! I noticed I have a leak over one of my ceiling fans so now I have to get that taken care of. Water and electricity scare me! Water dripping out of a fan isn't pretty. Also, water coming in one of my big windows somehow. I also need to get my humungous Mulberry tree trimmed up. The branches are so long now they are rubbing against the roof and gutter. I have a metal roof but don't want anything ruined. Thank goodness we don't have tornadoes!
 
Old 08-04-2016, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Reputation: 11350
Default Hi y'all!

I've been around some but not posting, as you can tell. lol Been trying to figure out how to get things done around here and work is getting crazier and crazier. I'm on vacation this week so I'm spending the time getting estimates for things I need done around here. So many! You know how it is, you move into a house but have to live there a while to find all the 'flaws', etc.. Well, I've found the flaws!


The people who lived here before, and were the original owners, left things only half done so I have to finish or redo them. First thing is moving the laundry back where it was originally. When they built the add on they moved the washer and dryer into it but they never hooked up the hot water or connected the washer to the sewer. The water runs out into the yard. The original laundry area backs up to the master bath so all the 'stuff' is still there to rehook it all up...except a gas line. Why they put in a gas drier when they moved it all, I don't know, but mine is brand new so I'm not getting an electric one. More expense to put in a gas line!


I'm getting estimates on painting the interior of the house and putting down rock in the front yard. Also, finally going to get my pavers put in so I have a less muddy and dirty area from the porch to the garage and a little ways into the yard. Getting my HUGE Mulberry tree trimmed because the limbs are now long enough to scrape along the roof and gutter on the front of the house. Also having a big bush removed from UNDER the Mulberry tree. Kinda redundant being there. I'd like to replant it somewhere else so we'll see when they take it out. Am hoping the rock will cut down some on the dust around here! Will get the back yard done another time. I also need my floor releveled right down the middle of the house. So, a lot to get done! THEN I have a smaller 'handyman/honey do' list I need done.


I finally got my rods and curtains for the big windows in the family/dining room but I can't even get holes drilled for the rods! It's like trying to drill into brick or something so I'm having that done too. I feel so dumb because I've put up countless rods and curtains over the years and never had a problem like this! I have some boxed furniture I need help putting together too. Add to that the leak in my ceiling fan and it keeps adding up.


Most of this work is being done by Vets for Hire. I went to their office the other day and talked to them. They have a lot of guys who are pros in different things so I've had calls from about five different people the last couple of days. Some are plumbers, some are landscapers, some are roofers, etc. so different guys for different jobs. Hard to keep them straight right now. Some way to spend a vacation, huh? lol Well, I planned it so I'll do it. I have so many hours saved up for vacation and PTO I need to take some of them and still have a couple of weeks worth left!


Also found out I need cataract surgery so that might happen next month. So far Medicare is saying "it's not bad enough" but my left eyelid is droopy it's interfering with my job sometimes. And that really has nothing to do with the cataracts but it's annoying. They don't know what caused it to droop but they'll lift it back up when I have the surgery. I WILL have it eventually. More money going out too! Sigh. I guess I should just be glad I have it! I thought I needed new glasses but guess I really need new eyes!


So, that's 'the latest' from the beautiful Verde Valley! It's getting windy and dark again so maybe we'll get some rain today. The last two days it's done this and stormed all around us. Phoenix got flooded.


Take care and it's always good to catch up and read what's going on with y'all!
 
Old 08-04-2016, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
5,101 posts, read 3,576,860 times
Reputation: 10942
I was denied for cataract surgery for two years before I finally 'qualified'. Hang in there and fight back if you can.

Good luck.
 
Old 08-04-2016, 06:45 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 5,271,149 times
Reputation: 13700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've been around some but not posting, as you can tell. lol Been trying to figure out how to get things done around here and work is getting crazier and crazier. I'm on vacation this week so I'm spending the time getting estimates for things I need done around here. So many! You know how it is, you move into a house but have to live there a while to find all the 'flaws', etc.. Well, I've found the flaws!


The people who lived here before, and were the original owners, left things only half done so I have to finish or redo them. First thing is moving the laundry back where it was originally. When they built the add on they moved the washer and dryer into it but they never hooked up the hot water or connected the washer to the sewer. The water runs out into the yard. The original laundry area backs up to the master bath so all the 'stuff' is still there to rehook it all up...except a gas line. Why they put in a gas drier when they moved it all, I don't know, but mine is brand new so I'm not getting an electric one. More expense to put in a gas line!


I'm getting estimates on painting the interior of the house and putting down rock in the front yard. Also, finally going to get my pavers put in so I have a less muddy and dirty area from the porch to the garage and a little ways into the yard. Getting my HUGE Mulberry tree trimmed because the limbs are now long enough to scrape along the roof and gutter on the front of the house. Also having a big bush removed from UNDER the Mulberry tree. Kinda redundant being there. I'd like to replant it somewhere else so we'll see when they take it out. Am hoping the rock will cut down some on the dust around here! Will get the back yard done another time. I also need my floor releveled right down the middle of the house. So, a lot to get done! THEN I have a smaller 'handyman/honey do' list I need done.


I finally got my rods and curtains for the big windows in the family/dining room but I can't even get holes drilled for the rods! It's like trying to drill into brick or something so I'm having that done too. I feel so dumb because I've put up countless rods and curtains over the years and never had a problem like this! I have some boxed furniture I need help putting together too. Add to that the leak in my ceiling fan and it keeps adding up.


Most of this work is being done by Vets for Hire. I went to their office the other day and talked to them. They have a lot of guys who are pros in different things so I've had calls from about five different people the last couple of days. Some are plumbers, some are landscapers, some are roofers, etc. so different guys for different jobs. Hard to keep them straight right now. Some way to spend a vacation, huh? lol Well, I planned it so I'll do it. I have so many hours saved up for vacation and PTO I need to take some of them and still have a couple of weeks worth left!


Also found out I need cataract surgery so that might happen next month. So far Medicare is saying "it's not bad enough" but my left eyelid is droopy it's interfering with my job sometimes. And that really has nothing to do with the cataracts but it's annoying. They don't know what caused it to droop but they'll lift it back up when I have the surgery. I WILL have it eventually. More money going out too! Sigh. I guess I should just be glad I have it! I thought I needed new glasses but guess I really need new eyes!


So, that's 'the latest' from the beautiful Verde Valley! It's getting windy and dark again so maybe we'll get some rain today. The last two days it's done this and stormed all around us. Phoenix got flooded.


Take care and it's always good to catch up and read what's going on with y'all!
Good to see you posting again. I was getting concerned!
 
Old 08-04-2016, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I was denied for cataract surgery for two years before I finally 'qualified'. Hang in there and fight back if you can.

Good luck.

Thanks. Being tested again tomorrow morning. Evidently I wasn't supposed to keep my eyes wide open for that test. I'll be more relaxed tomorrow and let my eyes stay 'natural'. We'll see what happens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top