U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-04-2016, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Good to see you posting again. I was getting concerned!

I take these breaks periodically. Especially if I have a lot on my mind or have to find 'solutions' to things. I have to think about things a long time before I get with it. Don't want to make mistakes!

 
Old 08-05-2016, 06:31 AM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Reputation: 9036
Breaks are good to shake up your routine. You are getting a lot done; it's overwhelming at first but you'll feel great when it's done!

I'm on double pet duty, taking care of our pets and our kid's pets while they are on vacation. I admit I was cranky this morning as I was getting ready to walk their two dogs in a light rain this morning. As I opened the garage door and looked up, those feelings were replaced with being grateful. Attitude is everything.
Chat Thread-image.jpeg
 
Old 08-05-2016, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Breaks are good to shake up your routine. You are getting a lot done; it's overwhelming at first but you'll feel great when it's done!

I'm on double pet duty, taking care of our pets and our kid's pets while they are on vacation. I admit I was cranky this morning as I was getting ready to walk their two dogs in a light rain this morning. As I opened the garage door and looked up, those feelings were replaced with being grateful. Attitude is everything.
Attachment 173431

I've been thinking about getting another small dog but 1) I don't know how the cats would take to one and 2) I really don't want to leave one home alone all day in a strange place. If I had time to stay home and let it get used to everything it would be different. I've had dogs I had to leave home alone all day and they did fine so we'll see.


I don't FEEL like I'm getting a lot done. I've mostly just been talking to all the guys who'll be doing the work around my place. I told my brother I've had so many men in and out of my house the last few days I hope the neighbors don't get the wrong idea! lol Made arrangements this morning to get my yard, front and back, done with grading and rock. It's going to be soooo worth it!


You are right that "attitude is everything". I remind myself of that every day!
 
Old 08-05-2016, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
I finally was able to adopt a 2nd cat. Got him from the SPCA. Wasn't too sure how my 1st cat (GG) would react to him, but it's been pretty good. This is day 4 and they play together, sometimes hiss at each other, steal food from each other, but I'd say overall, it's been pretty good. Even slept on my bed at the same time.

If I ever learn how to post pictures from my camera or my phone, I'll put some on here.

His name was Tango (cute!) when he lived in a cage. But I kept saying Taylor..... where did that come from?? So I renamed him...... Sammy.
 
Old 08-05-2016, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I finally was able to adopt a 2nd cat. Got him from the SPCA. Wasn't too sure how my 1st cat (GG) would react to him, but it's been pretty good. This is day 4 and they play together, sometimes hiss at each other, steal food from each other, but I'd say overall, it's been pretty good. Even slept on my bed at the same time.

If I ever learn how to post pictures from my camera or my phone, I'll put some on here.

His name was Tango (cute!) when he lived in a cage. But I kept saying Taylor..... where did that come from?? So I renamed him...... Sammy.

Sounds like your cats are adapting pretty fast. That's a good thing! I remember when I brought Patches home and Dakota wasn't sure what to make of that. She was already 7 years old to Patches 7 weeks. To this day they aren't particularly 'close' but they tolerate one another. Both sleep on my bed at the same time but Dakota stays at the bottom and Patches at the top on top of me! They are now 17 and 10. Good age for cats I guess.


That's funny about the naming thing. lol I can see it happening though.
 
Old 08-05-2016, 01:35 PM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Reputation: 9036
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I finally was able to adopt a 2nd cat. Got him from the SPCA. Wasn't too sure how my 1st cat (GG) would react to him, but it's been pretty good. This is day 4 and they play together, sometimes hiss at each other, steal food from each other, but I'd say overall, it's been pretty good. Even slept on my bed at the same time.

If I ever learn how to post pictures from my camera or my phone, I'll put some on here.

His name was Tango (cute!) when he lived in a cage. But I kept saying Taylor..... where did that come from?? So I renamed him...... Sammy.
Boy cats sure do seem to be more loving and laid back in my experience. I love my girls, but the kids have male cats and they are just lovers.

Congrats on bringing Sammy home, he'll be company for both GG and you. Thank you for giving a shelter cat a home and a second chance.
 
Old 08-05-2016, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,302 posts, read 3,384,707 times
Reputation: 4945
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I finally was able to adopt a 2nd cat. Got him from the SPCA. Wasn't too sure how my 1st cat (GG) would react to him, but it's been pretty good. This is day 4 and they play together, sometimes hiss at each other, steal food from each other, but I'd say overall, it's been pretty good. Even slept on my bed at the same time.

If I ever learn how to post pictures from my camera or my phone, I'll put some on here.

His name was Tango (cute!) when he lived in a cage. But I kept saying Taylor..... where did that come from?? So I renamed him...... Sammy.
Glad you have acquired a 2nd cat.........should be beneficial for all (3-of-you)😉!
If I were not a dog person, I would most likely have a house cat..........due to the variety of predators where I live (coyote, wolf, Eagles, Hawks, badger and mountain lion,) the survival rate of a cat that isn't a house cat is not very good.
My daughter who lives about 15 miles from my location and is only about two miles from town has trapped 21 feral cats in the last 15 years and has them neutered and then released......she has kept three of the 21.........she says "they were just too cute to release back out into the wild".
My Brittany is 10 1/2 and lives like a king......... sleeps in the utility room/kitchen area at night, is in his outside cyclone fence dog run ---- with shade from about 9 to noon,. then I let him run (on 14 fenced acres) and play for an hour or so, then back in the dog run until about 5pm. He then comes in the house with me and we watch the evening news, eat supper and he goes to bed at 9 pm.
 
Old 08-05-2016, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
Sammy, the male cat, has overwhelmed me with affection. What a nice surprise. When he sits on my lap, it seems he just can't get quite comfortable, is always fidgeting for a better position, just about wraps himself around my neck. Gives me (his) nose kisses.....

Meanwhile, GG, the female cat, sits glaring at us. She has no interest in sitting on my lap or any type of affection only very occasionally rubbing into my ankles.

Such different personalities!! But so sweet, both of them.

Yes, I believe in adopting from shelters...... some of those poor babies sit in their cages for months.... all because they are too old, not the right color, etc., etc. Sad.
 
Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Sammy, the male cat, has overwhelmed me with affection. What a nice surprise. When he sits on my lap, it seems he just can't get quite comfortable, is always fidgeting for a better position, just about wraps himself around my neck. Gives me (his) nose kisses.....

Meanwhile, GG, the female cat, sits glaring at us. She has no interest in sitting on my lap or any type of affection only very occasionally rubbing into my ankles.

Such different personalities!! But so sweet, both of them.

Yes, I believe in adopting from shelters...... some of those poor babies sit in their cages for months.... all because they are too old, not the right color, etc., etc. Sad.
My sister has two cockerspaniels. If anyone sits on the couch, one of them gives this "what are you doing in my spot" look.
 
Old 08-06-2016, 01:58 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Reputation: 12643
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
My sister has two cockerspaniels. If anyone sits on the couch, one of them gives this "what are you doing in my spot" look.
Years ago I had a female cat who always laid on the couch on the crease. It never changed. One day a woman friend came over to visit and she sat right in that spot. The cat sat at her feet staring at her. I explained the "problem", but she remained in that spot till she left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top