Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 07:53 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've been thinking about getting another small dog but 1) I don't know how the cats would take to one and 2) I really don't want to leave one home alone all day in a strange place. If I had time to stay home and let it get used to everything it would be different. I've had dogs I had to leave home alone all day and they did fine so we'll see.

I don't FEEL like I'm getting a lot done. I've mostly just been talking to all the guys who'll be doing the work around my place. I told my brother I've had so many men in and out of my house the last few days I hope the neighbors don't get the wrong idea! lol Made arrangements this morning to get my yard, front and back, done with grading and rock. It's going to be soooo worth it!

You are right that "attitude is everything". I remind myself of that every day!
You are brave about getting another dog! I have 8 dogs! I figure in 5 years I will be down to maybe 4. Four are almost ten at least.

No more dogs for me, at least not in a huge number like this. They needed homes, so that is why we took them in, but they can get expensive and I can't go away on little vacations without feeling guilty.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:49 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
We are continuing to take care of our kids pets at their house while they are on vacation. It seems like every time I turn around, I'm doing a pet related task at my house or at their house.

On the drive back from the kids this morning, we slowed down to make a right turn and there was a pick up truck stopped at the intersection. As we drove by the truck, we looked over to see a dog in the passenger seat and a dog in the driver seat. Wait, what?!? As we are looking at each other and saying "did you see that?" we saw a man closing the gate at the back of the truck. Thank goodness! I was worried for a minute; not so much about dogs driving a truck as much as me thinking I saw dogs driving a truck. It's been a long week.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-07-2016 at 06:58 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 07:32 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
You are brave about getting another dog! I have 8 dogs! I figure in 5 years I will be down to maybe 4. Four are almost ten at least.

No more dogs for me, at least not in a huge number like this. They needed homes, so that is why we took them in, but they can get expensive and I can't go away on little vacations without feeling guilty.

As long as I've known you you have had a houseful of animals. lol But that's because you have a big heart and don't want to see animals suffer. I lost count, a long time ago, how many feral cats you've taken care of, had neutered and spayed, etc.. You are probably the most big hearted person I know, in that respect. Well, there is one woman who comes into the store every couple of weeks and spends a couple hundred dollars on pet foods and cat littler for the ones she rescues so she's 'up there' too.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:02 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Gosh, I got 1 1/2 inches of rain over the weekend. Very nice steady cool rain and sure enjoyed it. I've also been refilling my hummingbird feeders twice a day. I counted 30 hummers at my two feeders. Last year I had 4. I guess they like my cooking.

And being retired and Monday...I'm going fishing. Love fishing during the week, calm and quiet.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:41 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
As long as I've known you you have had a houseful of animals. lol But that's because you have a big heart and don't want to see animals suffer. I lost count, a long time ago, how many feral cats you've taken care of, had neutered and spayed, etc.. You are probably the most big hearted person I know, in that respect. Well, there is one woman who comes into the store every couple of weeks and spends a couple hundred dollars on pet foods and cat littler for the ones she rescues so she's 'up there' too.
Getting those ferals fixed was the best thing ever! Worth all the scratches and $$$.

We have not had any kittens born here in over a year. No strange cats come around either. Its just the same 7 or 8 that hang around. We did lose one female a few weeks ago - vehicular homicide!

Old 08-08-2016, 11:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
jim9251: We sure could use some of that rain. We are in near drought conditions in central and western NY state. No significant rain in sight.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:46 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
jim9251: We sure could use some of that rain. We are in near drought conditions in central and western NY state. No significant rain in sight.

Well that rain was after 6 solid weeks of 100 degrees, howling winds and a miserable summer. Start of monsoon season here and winter can't get here soon enough for me!

Old 08-08-2016, 01:49 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
There's a big rain maker swirling off the Gulf coast and north of here is getting more than here, but we've gotten plenty. Taking care of the kid's pets this morning I saw their pool was up to the under edge of the deck. I turned on the release valve and the pump was on so it is emptying out. I'll turn it off when I go back later. Who needs a rain gauge when you have a pool? It was up three inches. It should be clearing out and back to the usual summer weather mid week. In the meantime there are frogs making noise, they come out of nowhere it seems when it rains. They are little, but boisterous!

Old 08-08-2016, 03:19 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well that rain was after 6 solid weeks of 100 degrees, howling winds and a miserable summer. Start of monsoon season here and winter can't get here soon enough for me!
Our temperatures have been pretty high this summer, too. Unusually high I would say. Farmers are worried as are tree growers .... I hate to see any of them have a bad year. It's their livelihood in many cases.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:45 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Getting those ferals fixed was the best thing ever! Worth all the scratches and $$$.

We have not had any kittens born here in over a year. No strange cats come around either. Its just the same 7 or 8 that hang around. We did lose one female a few weeks ago - vehicular homicide!
LOL...I remember some of your 'adventures' catching them, getting them to the vet and back home.

Sorry about the cat. I'm so glad my cats are indoors. I'm on a fairly busy street and back up to the desert so lots of predators around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement