U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 PM
 
10,851 posts, read 8,199,065 times
Reputation: 17205

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
One poster (who either has a reverse mortgage or at least sells and services them) dug them all up to make 2-3 sentence replies to each one.
Thanks, I too was wondering about it but not inclined to pull up and read all the threads figure it out.

 
Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,933,764 times
Reputation: 32336
Default Idea for a poll

Here's a poll I've thought about: Which regular poster in this Retirement Forum would you most like to see disappear? I have three or four names I would put in the poll, two of which I find really, really annoying (and on a consistent basis). Naturally I'm not going to put the poll up; it would be against the TOS and in addition would be cruel. I suppose anybody wishing to guess which two people I have in mind will have to DM me.

Of course I am well aware that there may be folks who would put me in their poll if they were creating one. LOL
 
Old 05-25-2013, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Here's a poll I've thought about: Which regular poster in this Retirement Forum would you most like to see disappear? I have three or four names I would put in the poll, two of which I find really, really annoying (and on a consistent basis). Naturally I'm not going to put the poll up; it would be against the TOS and in addition would be cruel. I suppose anybody wishing to guess which two people I have in mind will have to DM me.

Of course I am well aware that there may be folks who would put me in their poll if they were creating one. LOL
Even if a poster is a legitimate downer to the forum I have a hard time with the idea of ganging up on someone esp through private dm's. I'd rather see a short direct but polite address such as You are consistently posting XYZ, so I'm putting you on Ignore so that you don't wonder why I never respond to you.
 
Old 05-25-2013, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,759 posts, read 4,272,824 times
Reputation: 6869
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Even if a poster is a legitimate downer to the forum I have a hard time with the idea of ganging up on someone esp through private dm's. I'd rather see a short direct but polite address such as You are consistently posting XYZ, so I'm putting you on Ignore so that you don't wonder why I never respond to you.
What purpose is served by advising the posters you are going to put them on ignore? Do you honestly believe that those few posters would wonder why you don't respond to them? We're not talking about rational people. (Well, at least I'm not.)

The private DMs are no different than family members discussing the inappropriateness of the black sheep's behavior after a family function or students discussing another student's antics after class. This is not "ganging up" on anyone.
 
Old 05-25-2013, 06:57 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 10,979,024 times
Reputation: 8956
I never realized there were "in" and "out" groups on this forum.

Why don't people simply not participate in the threads which hold no interest to them?

Why must people be actively shunned and gossiped about? Not nice.
 
Old 05-25-2013, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,471,322 times
Reputation: 16359
It sounds like a bunch of gossips to me. Usually the ones that feel so compelled to do so are the very ones that shouldn't.
 
Old 05-25-2013, 07:03 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 10,979,024 times
Reputation: 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Even if a poster is a legitimate downer to the forum I have a hard time with the idea of ganging up on someone esp through private dm's. I'd rather see a short direct but polite address such as You are consistently posting XYZ, so I'm putting you on Ignore so that you don't wonder why I never respond to you.
I am curious about this statement . . . how could someone be a "legitimate downer" to an entire forum? I personally only read particular threads that are of interest to me - there are many subjects on the Retirement forum (and other forums) that hold zero interest FOR ME - I simply don't read them . . . I would never think of other people who are posting to these threads that I think of as boring or uninteresting as "legitimate downers to the forum."

I don't understand.

Live and let live.
 
Old 05-25-2013, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
It sounds like a bunch of gossips to me. Usually the ones that feel so compelled to do so are the very ones that shouldn't.
Yes, a major waste of energy. City Data wisely created a way out for those irked by others: It is the ingenious "Ignore" feature. I don't understand why that cannot be used instead of unproductive DMs about posters. At least don't announce that you're doing this if you do. I'm sure DM gossip is already rampant. Better things to do!
 
Old 05-25-2013, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am curious about this statement . . . how could someone be a "legitimate downer" to an entire forum? I personally only read particular threads that are of interest to me - there are many subjects on the Retirement forum (and other forums) that hold zero interest FOR ME - I simply don't read them . . . I would never think of other people who are posting to these threads that I think of as boring or uninteresting as "legitimate downers to the forum."

I don't understand.

Live and let live.
My poor wording. I meant to say "even if someone is perceived to be a real downer...." as opposed to being a downer for everyone.

I've temporarily and permanently put a few posters who irk me on ignore. It's no big deal, and I'm sure I'm put on ignore by others as well. As for those who want to DM each other about posters, they're always free to do so without announcing or inviting it publicly. What this thing of "let's gossip about so and so in private messages" could possibly lead to is easy to imagine. But mainly it strikes me as a waste of time, but so be it.
 
Old 05-25-2013, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 17,933,764 times
Reputation: 32336
Ah, looks like I touched a rather sensitive nerve. Irony abounds. Very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top