U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 09:38 PM

22,606 posts, read 12,480,998 times

Advertisements

When I was younger I remember my parents saying something like "These kids nowadays and their music! When we were that age we had Frank Sinatra! Nat King Cole! Rosemary Clooney! Ella Fitzgerald! Patty Page!"

Now my friends and I say "These kids nowadays and their music! Rap music ... ugh! We had the Beatles! Bob Dylan! Janis Joplin! James Taylor! The Carpenters! Donna Summer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 10:44 PM

10,849 posts, read 8,196,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Now my friends and I say "These kids nowadays and their music! Rap music ... ugh! We had the Beatles! Bob Dylan! Janis Joplin! James Taylor! The Carpenters! Donna Summer!"
Love love love Beatles, Dylan, Joplin but Rap is glorious too and equally ground-breaking which music should always be. Just saying

Old 09-06-2016, 04:08 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,575,326 times
But it's true. Each generation thinks they have the best. Hard to beat ours, but that's my own opinion, lol.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:25 PM

11,198 posts, read 12,673,229 times
"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

And so it goes. Anyway, went fishing today, caught four (the limit) rainbow trout. Two on the grill and two in the freezer.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:17 PM

Yum, bet they tasted good.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:34 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,740,383 times
I meant to sew a few seams and cut some pieces out last evening and the next thing I knew, it was midnight and my project was finished. Ah, being retired! I slept until 7 instead of my usual 6 a.m.

My granddaughter is a Girl Scout Brownie this year which means a new vest this year and her Daisy tunic with all those hard earned patches (sewing them on wasn't a picnic either) were obsolete. I came across some pics of repurposed vests/tunics on Pinterest of pillows and totes and texted pics to my DIL who loves recycling and re-using things. My granddaughter brought over her tunic as soon as we got here this summer and she asked for a tote.

There were no patterns but I found a good tutorial online for a messenger bag and tweaked it. If we had known we were going to do this, we would have placed the patches differently. I relocated six patches since the suggestion of eliminating them was met with a frown. Having a slacker Daisy with less patches would have helped too.

If was a fun project and I took time to think about the approach and how to execute it with what I had. I would have done things a bit differently after the fact, but not bad overall. It was definitely a good exercise for the little gray brain cells as Hercule Poirot would say. And definitely worth it for the grandma points.

eta: She wanted to know how I knew she loved owls. I told her I know everything. It will be a sad day when she learns otherwise. I'll lose some of my points.

Chat Thread-image.jpeg

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-08-2016 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 02:40 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,377,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I meant to sew a few seams and cut some pieces out last evening and the next thing I knew, it was midnight and my project was finished. Ah, being retired! I slept until 7 instead of my usual 6 a.m.

My granddaughter is a Girl Scout Brownie this year which means a new vest this year and her Daisy tunic with all those hard earned parches (sewing them on wasn't a picnic either) were obsolete. I saw some pics of repurposed vests/tunics on Pinterest of pillows and totes and sent pics to my DIL. My granddaughter brought over her tunic as soon as we got here this summer and she asked for a tote.

There were no patterns but I found a good tutorial online for a messenger bag and tweaked it. If we had known we were going to do this, we would have placed the patches differently. I relocated six parches since the suggestion of eliminating them was met with a frown. Having a slacker Daisy with less patches would have helped too.

If was a fun project and I took time to think about the approach and how to execute it with what I had. I would have done things a bit differently after the fact, but not bad overall. It was definitely a good exercise for the little gray brain cells as Hercule Poirot would say. And definitely worth it for grandma points.

Attachment 174825
Your granddaughter is one lucky young lady to have a grandmother like you.

Beautiful work!!

Old 09-08-2016, 02:42 PM

Oh my gosh Jean, you have put me to shame. I've been procrastinating crocheting a baby blanket. You go girl!

Old 09-08-2016, 02:48 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,740,383 times
Thanks meo and NYgal!

I was afraid I was in over my head once I realized there were pics only and no patterns to follow. I really am a follow the rules and color inside the lines type person, so flying by the seat of my pants with a basic guideline and having to change things up for the sort-of pattern was a challenge.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:05 PM

238 posts, read 197,426 times
Jean, Wow! What a beautiful tote. Your grand-daughter will likely cherish it for many years to come. Mega grandma points!

I agree with NYgal. Your grand-daughter is a lucky girl to have a grandma like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement