U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2016, 05:52 AM

8,309 posts, read 12,066,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I'm guessing you just aren't old enough. My father loved this line (he was born in 1901).

That or perhaps you led a sheltered life.
No, the problem isn't my sheltered life; it's that you failed to focus on the portion of your comment to which I was responding. I even bolded it to draw your attention to it. Here, let me try again, this time using the color red to make it easier to discern:

Quote:
I believe it was W.C. Fields who said "Youth is wasted on the young."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 06:20 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
MadManofBethesda[/b];45513159]No, the problem isn't my sheltered life; it's that you failed to focus on the portion of your comment to which I was responding. I even bolded it to draw your attention to it. Here, let me try again, this time using the color red to make it easier to discern:
Youth is wasted on the young. - George Bernard Shaw at BrainyQuote

My father was wrong!!

Thanks for pointing it out!

Old 09-17-2016, 07:36 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
We helped our neighbor move a heavy piece of furniture last weekend. She's staging her house for sale and moving into a condo which means downsizing.

She learned I spin and gave me a spinning wheel she's had for years as decor. I admit as she was taking me over for a closer look, I was mentally preparing a polite refusal. Many decor wheels are missing key parts that make them a functioning wheel. Imagine my surprise when I got close enough to see an antique Scandinavian spinning wheel, complete with all original parts. Serendipity!

Chat Thread-image.jpeg

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-17-2016 at 08:07 AM..

Old 09-17-2016, 07:46 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Gads, trying to crochet a baby blanket for a young friend who has a baby shower Oct 7th. Normally it would be a piece of cake but I haven't done anything since my son died. Things that were so easy for me are now hard to do. But it shows I'm getting better.
I'm glad you are feeling better. Keeping busy with something you enjoy is good for healing, even if it's harder now.

Since quotes seem to be the thing this morning, here's one I like.

Your mind can see more than your eyes. Your heart can carry more than your hands. Your soul can go further than your feet.
~Matshona Dhliwayo

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-17-2016 at 08:08 AM..

Old 09-17-2016, 05:36 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times
I like that. I have made one square & it is darling. I only need to make 11 more, lol. It is going to be so cute. The baby I am making it for is such a dear friend. One of those that treat me as the "other mother". She's a special person & I want my gift to be special.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:49 AM

11,195 posts, read 12,670,225 times
38 degrees this morning and crystal clear. It was nice to go for my 6am walk with the dogs see the full moon setting and later the sun rise from our resting spot above dead beer bottle canyon.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:32 PM

Since this is the Chat room, I hope it is OK to do a bit of venting.

Having some trouble accepting what is. My eyes do not see as well as they once did. I've had glaucoma and surgery for it, cataract removal surgery, and there is a life-long right eye muscle problem.

I have been feeling so irritated that my eyesight just isn't what it used to be. I can't read anything for very long, can't read street signs, etc. It seemed for a long time everything worked very well.

But alas, that isn't true anymore. I went to the eye doctor today because I was convinced I needed new eyeglasses. I was there for about two hours, saw two different doctors, and it seems the current glasses are "just fine." Which for me translates into things are not going to get better. Now I have to hope things do not get worse.

It seems lately a few things are changing that are not for the better and require my acceptance of them.

Any one else having trouble like this? Not necessarily same thing as me, but things in your own lives.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Since this is the Chat room, I hope it is OK to do a bit of venting.

Having some trouble accepting what is. My eyes do not see as well as they once did. I've had glaucoma and surgery for it, cataract removal surgery, and there is a life-long right eye muscle problem.

I have been feeling so irritated that my eyesight just isn't what it used to be. I can't read anything for very long, can't read street signs, etc. It seemed for a long time everything worked very well.

But alas, that isn't true anymore. I went to the eye doctor today because I was convinced I needed new eyeglasses. I was there for about two hours, saw two different doctors, and it seems the current glasses are "just fine." Which for me translates into things are not going to get better. Now I have to hope things do not get worse.

It seems lately a few things are changing that are not for the better and require my acceptance of them.

Any one else having trouble like this? Not necessarily same thing as me, but things in your own lives.

I feel for you. My oldest brother has muscular degeneration & there is no clue when his sight will get worse. Are they checking for that?

Old 09-20-2016, 06:15 PM

I feel like a total idiot, but can't figure out how to take a photo of the baby blanket I'm making with my Amazon Fire tablet. Can anyone help me out?

Old 09-20-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I feel for you. My oldest brother has muscular degeneration & there is no clue when his sight will get worse. Are they checking for that?
Sorry to hear about your brother.

No, it's not a muscular degeneration problem.

I have an eye disease (glaucoma), incurable at least for now. Only treatable. Surgery, drops, frequent visits to the eye doctor to check optic pressures (which today were wonderful). There are several tests I get once or twice a year, more if deemed necessary. If people have it (you can't tell that you do, there are no symptoms) and don't have regular eye exams, peripheral vision is the first to go which people don't notice right away. But it can lead to blindness. I doubt very much that I will go blind. I had the surgery and a couple of excellent doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement