U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 12:13 AM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
I'll bet the local Red Cross Hd'q office in Charleston, S.C would be greatfull beyond description to distribute a dozen of those jars to 12 needy families whose life has been destroyed due to the hurricane.

I'd put a sticky label on each jar that says:...."Home made Grape Jelly from JIM IN COLORADO"...GOD BLESS YOU!

......No offense intended, just a thought......
Really nice thought but would it pass state laws? I only wonder because of interstate laws. I really have no clue. BUT...I'll bet Red Cross or any organization that is helping out would know.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:55 AM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
I have a friend who is in charge of the Red Cross here, he said they get so much "junk" that it piles up and they wind up throwing it away. A $10 donation is appreciated and needed more than anything.

Anyway, since my homemade jelly isn't inspected, it would be tossed out. My relatives and friends are not that picky, and it goes to them.

Going trout fishing today. Crisp clear morning.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:54 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
I have a question to ask that I hope will not be considered too silly.

I have thought of relocating so many times, I have lost count. I've visited places I thought about moving to, always changing my mind, too afraid to take the plunge. To be honest, my financial situation is such that I can't make any mistakes. If I relocate I have to stay there, no returning back here.

My mind changes so many times. One minute I feel courageous, the other I feel scared, worried, and at times content to be right where I am. I suppose that could be a safety net, feeling content.

My very long-time dream has been to live near the ocean. Lately I have thought a nice lake would be good, too. I have a picture in my mind of what I want, but I have no faith that I can actually do it. And I know some people who have said I shouldn't move for various reasons. And I hate admitting this, what they say has a lot of influence on me. Not overly happy about that.

Living in NY state, I'm not burdened with high taxes as I rent, and income low enough to not pay any income tax. So I can't say I need a cheaper cost of living. I have good medical insurance, I like most of my doctors, etc.

I'm 74 and don't want to regret the choice of staying here when my mind and heart are somewhere else. But "where" else? And is it too late for me?

Hoping to hear some viewpoints..... please.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:34 PM

238 posts, read 197,909 times
NYGal1542 - I understand your finances are tight, and you are getting by OK where you are; my suggestion is not to give up the dream of living near the ocean, but to turn it into occasional mini-vacations. Can you spend a couple of days mid-week on the coast a couple of times a year?

Old 10-12-2016, 02:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have a question to ask that I hope will not be considered too silly.

I have thought of relocating so many times, I have lost count. I've visited places I thought about moving to, always changing my mind, too afraid to take the plunge. To be honest, my financial situation is such that I can't make any mistakes. If I relocate I have to stay there, no returning back here.

My mind changes so many times. One minute I feel courageous, the other I feel scared, worried, and at times content to be right where I am. I suppose that could be a safety net, feeling content.

My very long-time dream has been to live near the ocean. Lately I have thought a nice lake would be good, too. I have a picture in my mind of what I want, but I have no faith that I can actually do it. And I know some people who have said I shouldn't move for various reasons. And I hate admitting this, what they say has a lot of influence on me. Not overly happy about that.

Living in NY state, I'm not burdened with high taxes as I rent, and income low enough to not pay any income tax. So I can't say I need a cheaper cost of living. I have good medical insurance, I like most of my doctors, etc.

I'm 74 and don't want to regret the choice of staying here when my mind and heart are somewhere else. But "where" else? And is it too late for me?

Hoping to hear some viewpoints..... please.
(I'm speaking of New England)—After years and years of wanting to live near the ocean, I no longer want to. All practical reasons. First, any properties "close" (walkable, easily drivable) to a usable beach are way out of my price range. Going further north hoping for cheaper, all you get is rocky shorelines, not sandy beaches. Not inviting. The towns along coasts are generally few and far between, not good for aging seniors. Medical care? Not near beaches, you have to live near the largest city in the state. Winters at the beach? Nice for a 15 min walk if you're not blown out to sea; otherwise, half the year kinda bleak and lonely. July and August? Hope you're steady on your feet, don't get trampled by the hundreds setting up their towels and umbrellas. More than anything, here you'd be driving, driving everywhere.

Four to six times a year, I'll do a long weekend at a beach.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:30 PM

My mind changes a lot too. I've now put Colorado on my list due to Jim's posting.

I have narrowed it down to:
Maine, close to present climate & the people seem to be friendly, & the fishing & beauty of the state
Arkansas, still there but I am not sure I could deal with summer heat. Another beautiful state
Colorado, climate, fishing-unsure of col & haven't investigated enough
Minnesota, because it's a known-but I moved here from the city & although my grandparents lived here & my mother grew up here, I still feel like an outsider when I go into town, 9 miles away. Why? I have no idea. Maybe I spent too much time in the city or maybe this is just Minnesota.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
NYGal1542 - I understand your finances are tight, and you are getting by OK where you are; my suggestion is not to give up the dream of living near the ocean, but to turn it into occasional mini-vacations. Can you spend a couple of days mid-week on the coast a couple of times a year?

Thank you. I have thought about this and so far it's the best option for me. At least I'll get a "taste" of my dream in little spurts.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
(I'm speaking of New England)After years and years of wanting to live near the ocean, I no longer want to. All practical reasons. First, any properties "close" (walkable, easily drivable) to a usable beach are way out of my price range. Going further north hoping for cheaper, all you get is rocky shorelines, not sandy beaches. Not inviting. The towns along coasts are generally few and far between, not good for aging seniors. Medical care? Not near beaches, you have to live near the largest city in the state. Winters at the beach? Nice for a 15 min walk if you're not blown out to sea; otherwise, half the year kinda bleak and lonely. July and August? Hope you're steady on your feet, don't get trampled by the hundreds setting up their towels and umbrellas. More than anything, here you'd be driving, driving everywhere.

Four to six times a year, I'll do a long weekend at a beach.
Thank you for this. I probably knew at least part of this, but good to get the "rest of the story." Someone who has "been there, done that" is a great source to learn from.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
My mind changes a lot too. I've now put Colorado on my list due to Jim's posting.

I have narrowed it down to:
Maine, close to present climate & the people seem to be friendly, & the fishing & beauty of the state
Arkansas, still there but I am not sure I could deal with summer heat. Another beautiful state
Colorado, climate, fishing-unsure of col & haven't investigated enough
Minnesota, because it's a known-but I moved here from the city & although my grandparents lived here & my mother grew up here, I still feel like an outsider when I go into town, 9 miles away. Why? I have no idea. Maybe I spent too much time in the city or maybe this is just Minnesota.

Thank you for writing. I visited CO about 30 years ago to visit a friend's family in Colorado Springs and Pueblo. Really pretty in that area. But have written to someone on C-D in the Colorado forum who said it's pretty expensive to live there. But that is hearsay. I do not know for sure.

Hope you will keep us up to date on your travels and what you find.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:00 PM

My travels will wait until spring through fall. I am too chicken to travel in the winter. But will keep you up to date once I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement