U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2016, 01:30 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times

Advertisements

Well by golly, I had a few friends (who think I am a barbarian btw), actually take Wednesday off from work, couldn't stop crying. Yeah, these are adults too.

Now on to important topics. Caught four (the limit) rainbow trout this morning. Really enjoyed the peace and quiet at my fishing spot (an hour drive), had a thermos of coffee and a nice cigar.

And HOW the game wardens learn to walk up on you without making a sound is beyond me. I offered her a cigar, she declined. CUTE too!

Old 11-13-2016, 05:56 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well by golly, I had a few friends (who think I am a barbarian btw), actually take Wednesday off from work, couldn't stop crying. Yeah, these are adults too.
My step-son said someone did this at his work. And this person doesn't vote....

Old 11-13-2016, 07:58 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
On EBAY I made the winning bid on an oil painting. It was a still life of a pitcher, a beaker and some random fruit on a wooden table. I normally don't collect still life paintings but this one was spectacular ... it was painted by a woman artist in the Mid-West who has a decent reputation and a number of awards from recognized juried competitions. I usually cannot afford her paintings, especially her landscapes ... but this one I managed to grab at an affordable price.

Handyman Rod came home after spending a few weeks down in Georgia helping an older married couple with some home improvement projects. The husband had suffered a stroke almost a year ago but is almost fully recovered but not yet up to strenuous projects, but the wife helped Rod as best she could. They adore Rod.

Rod, who is also an amateur artist, was blown away by the still life painting. He saw it hanging on the dining room wall and fell in love with it. He was surprised because all my paintings are landscapes, portraits, figures, genre scenes ... but not still life.

It's a picture on the darker side - almost Rembrandtesque - but there is an orange or tangerine that contrasts with the muted pewter beaker and glazed earthenware pottery, and there are scattered individual translucent green grapes that seem to softly glow. the fruit subtly reflect on the surface of a polished (walnut?) wood table surface.

Thanks for reading my boring description of a painting! I know, I can be sooooo pedantic sometimes!!!

Old 11-13-2016, 08:39 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
On EBAY I made the winning bid on an oil painting. It was a still life of a pitcher, a beaker and some random fruit on a wooden table. I normally don't collect still life paintings but this one was spectacular ... it was painted by a woman artist in the Mid-West who has a decent reputation and a number of awards from recognized juried competitions. I usually cannot afford her paintings, especially her landscapes ... but this one I managed to grab at an affordable price.
Who's the artist?

Old 11-14-2016, 04:17 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Who's the artist?
Her name is Nora Sallows, and she is located in the town of Northwest, Ohio. You can google her.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:10 AM

435 posts, read 283,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Her name is Nora Sallows, and she is located in the town of Northwest, Ohio. You can google her.
I did. Beautiful work!

Old 11-15-2016, 03:36 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
Clark Park: Your description of the painting was wonderful. I could almost see the color of the orange or tangerine and the translucent grapes. Beautiful. I'll bet it looks wonderful on your wall.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:40 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
As far as the election and our new president-elect; I am among the many who did not vote for him and was sorry to learn he had won.

However, the fact is he did win, and we do need to "get over it" as best we can. I read a few posts in a different place re "mourning our country" because our "country is dead." How absurd.

I do not feel our country is dead. There are too many good, very smart people who can make things work. Yes, it will be a bumpy ride but we aren't going to die from it.

I was very disappointed to see that some thought our country died. I don't get what they can be thinking.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:05 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
However won still has to deal with the Senate & the House. Decisions will not be one-sided, or so I hear.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:21 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,681,779 times
Big giant supermoon, crystal clear outside, just beautiful.

Interesting forecast, tomorrow high near 70, Thursday winter storm watch, highs 30's lows teens with snow and wind. Ah Colorado...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement