U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2016, 07:36 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I just finished reading an article in the Syracuse.com website. It was about Ruth Gruber who passed away this month at age 105.

What an inspiration she was and it makes me realize how I have done nothing notable in my entire 74 years. Ruth was a journalist way back when who covered stories about the Jewish people during WWII and how she helped 95 Jewish refugees relocate to NY state. They were sheltered in Oswego, NY. After the war, 85 became citizens and the rest went back to Europe.

What hit me the hardest was the article mentioned prior to Ms. Gruber's rescue, many ships from Europe came to America full of refugees fleeing concentration camps and certain death only to be turned away to return to Europe and certain death.

I could not help but think of what may be our "new" policy on immigration. Will we be sending them away only to return to homeland and certain death? I hope not.
My own grandmother lived to be 105. She was born in 1891 and died in 1996. In fact she outlived my mother, her daughter, by nearly a year; she outlived three of her six children.

Now, as far as the philosophical conversation about how "accomplished" we are and what we achieved in our lives, I would like to suggest that everyone be mindful of the fact that we lived our lives "our way" (if you recall the Frank Sinatra song). We touched the people we met and had good times and bad times. Most of us are lucky in that we did not suffer health problems in our younger years and enjoyed satisfying work and family experiences, friendships, and travels.

One of my favorite movies was from the 1940's: "The Browning Version." A retiring teacher who taught the classics at a venerable private boy's school in England is faced with humiliation after humiliation ... he is forced to retire before he wants to, he is worried about his finances, his wife (a younger woman) announced she is leaving him and running off with one of colleagues, his students hate him and his class, even the school master wants to deny him the long held tradition of making a farewell speech at the graduation ceremony. He is crushed and feeling almost suicidal. He reflects upon his life and comes to think he is a failure, and he did not make a difference in any of the lives of the students he taught. However, he was wrong. One young student was so touched by the teacher's passion for the classics that he finds a rare translation of a Greek work by the poet Browning and gives it to him as a retirement gift.

Rejoice in your life and the people you touched. We can regret a bad decision or an unkind word. He were fortunate to live to the age we attained ... it is a gift not everyone gets.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:47 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,352,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

Now, as far as the philosophical conversation about how "accomplished" we are and what we achieved in our lives, I would like to suggest that everyone be mindful of the fact that we lived our lives

Rejoice in your life and the people you touched. We can regret a bad decision or an unkind word. He were fortunate to live to the age we attained ... it is a gift not everyone gets.
Your life can have a domino effect-NYgal. If you see something good in someone-tell them, it could change their life. A kind word, a smile, a donation- a simple act of kindness changes the flow towards good. You may never know what wonders and accomplishments will be done years later because you complemented someone.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:30 AM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Your life can have a domino effect-NYgal. If you see something good in someone-tell them, it could change their life. A kind word, a smile, a donation- a simple act of kindness changes the flow towards good. You may never know what wonders and accomplishments will be done years later because you complemented someone.
That is so true. I remember one time when I was leaving one job & the person I usually had breaks with told me, "You'll never know how much you helped me." I never did either, but it wasn't the last time I heard that.

You never know how you can help or change a persons life. Sometimes just a smile will brighten up a persons life. Sometimes I wish I knew the outcome, but it's enough to know that somehow I helped.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:04 AM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
It is amazing how a little thing can change your life. Working in the city it was always rush here, rush there, trying to get home as fast as I could, not caring about those I passed on the street. One night, I was stuck in traffic - the light turned yellow after I turned a corner and my car was stuck in the crosswalk. A gentleman must have been upset at the need to go around my car because he purposely slammed his briefcase into my car - he left quite a dent too!

I thought about this man and his anger and the common stories of road rage. What pushed these people to exhibit so much anger? Did I want to end up like them, rushing and not caring about the other people I passed? I came to a decision that night before I fell asleep. Instead of ignoring the people I passed, I would smile and greet them. I would hold open a door for another, I would say hello to strangers in the elevators, I would smile instead of frown! I sometimes received surprised looks from people on the elevators, but most often I received a smile in return. It's surprising how much a little smile can uplift your day.

Personally, I'm glad I'm not famous and won't be remembered through history. If I'm remembered with love and affection by my family and friends, I'll be content.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:58 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,486,580 times
What? No one wants to chat anymore?

Old 12-03-2016, 09:00 PM

3,505 posts, read 4,061,633 times
Ok, I'll start. I just finished watching "It's A Wonderful Life" and am brought to tears as usual. I didn't see this until I was well into adulthood, and it is one of my favorite movies. Now it is back to reality, the local news just came on. Wishing everyone a wonderful life........and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-03-2016, 09:11 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Glad you enjoyed the movie. Two other ones I liked were on tv Thanksgiving night: Anne of Green Gables & after that, Pollyanna from 2003. I recommend them both (mostly for other women.)

Old 12-04-2016, 04:23 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,173,596 times
I have never seen Its a wonderful life- well I have seen portions of it but I keep saying I am going to watch it one day in its entirety.
Also I never read Ann of Green Gables (or saw movies) and have been wanting to. I just checked and it is available free on kindle so I just snatched it and will read it soon.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:51 AM

1,353 posts, read 867,042 times
I love watching the old Christmas movies! It doesn't feel like the season until I've watched "It's a Wonderful Life." I always look for the Natalie Wood version of "Miracle on 34th Street."

Both my children were happy when years ago TNT started their all-day "A Christmas Story" marathon as it was another fave that we looked forward to seeing. This movie was always special since it was written by our hometown author.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:42 AM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
I like to watch White Christmas and, of course, the ending where the snow is falling while they honor the old general, always brings tears to my eyes. It could be Holiday Inn or White Christmas--there were two similar movies. Guess I'll have to watch both!

The Pollyanna movie that turned out to be so good was this one.
Pollyanna (2003) | OLD MOVIE CINEMA

It's set in England. The characters looked and acted just like real people and the story was pretty believable, not dumb and corny like I thought it would be. There was a Disney movie before that by the same name, set in Vermont. Never saw that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement