U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 12:48 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times

Advertisements

Our first real blizzard. It's awful out there right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 12:51 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I have never seen Its a wonderful life- well I have seen portions of it but I keep saying I am going to watch it one day in its entirety.
Also I never read Ann of Green Gables (or saw movies) and have been wanting to. I just checked and it is available free on kindle so I just snatched it and will read it soon.

I always cry when I watch Its a Wonderful Life. Such a beautiful movie.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:12 AM

11,195 posts, read 12,670,225 times
75 years ago today the Japanese launched a sneak attack on Pearl Harbor sending the U.S. into WWII. Never forget this treachery.

My dad fought in the Battle of Luzon, earned the Bronze Star and caught Malaria. I remember him having nightmares as a kid, and he never talked about his time in the war.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
75 years ago today the Japanese launched a sneak attack on Pearl Harbor sending the U.S. into WWII. Never forget this treachery.

My dad fought in the Battle of Luzon, earned the Bronze Star and caught Malaria. I remember him having nightmares as a kid, and he never talked about his time in the war.
That was a horrible time for our country. I was born in 1942 so really have no true memory of that time, tho I do recall Mom with rations (?) .... were they stamps? or something like that? The air raids.... covering the windows. I was born in Buffalo, NY, so imagine being by one of the Great Lakes, I supposed there might have been extra threat.

I have seen a few movies about WWII. And I have seen some documentaries on TV showing actual footage of the attack. I can't even imagine the fear that was felt by all who were there.

I'm guessing your father has passed on, but I thank him for his heroic service. I think it is fairly common for people who served did not want to talk about their actual experiences. Going through it once was one time too many.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:38 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,928,294 times
Update: A piece of good news

Someone requested that I post updates about the family with the nine-year-old son who is waiting for a heart transplant. The young patient is doing well in the hospital, but the good news has to do with the older brother, a seventh grader who is probably 12 or 13. He has had genetic testing and does NOT have the gene which led to his younger brother's heart trouble. That family can use all the good news that comes their way!

Old 12-08-2016, 09:30 AM

6,588 posts, read 5,261,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Our first real blizzard. It's awful out there right now.
And I;m whining about 40 degree weather. It is also very windy - which I hate. We need our 80 degree weather back.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:04 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,374,876 times
Since this is chat, I hope it's OK to just mention I listened (AGAIN) to some of the music from George Jones tribute (funeral). Vince Gill and Patti Loveless...... Go Sit On High........ Makes tears come to my eyes, too.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:11 PM

4,722 posts, read 4,612,424 times
Have a decision to make. Not really asking for advice, but I'll read and consider it if proffered.

As most of you know, I will be retiring at the beginning of March. Mostly due to the nature of my job, my vacation time has been pretty much maxed out on what I can accrue and since I haven't been sick in years, (other than taking a 'mental health day' about once a year), my sick time is maxed out too.

The employer will pay hour for hour of accrued vacation time, but only 12% of the accrued sick time. I was kinda looking forward to that last check and figured it would move me to my new location. I knew that some of it would be held back, but heard in the rumor mill that the hold-back was 60%. "Whoa! I better check that out."

HR sent me an e-mail setting up that last exit interview and took the opportunity to ask if the 60% hold-back was true. She responded back that the hold-back was only 40% and was an IRS rule. Even though my tax bracket is less, that last check is not considered wages but a lump-sum distribution. I guess it's considered the same as if one were to win the lottery or win a bunch of money on Jeopardy.

That has caused me to re-think my actual retirement date. It is currently March 7th, but maybe I should start taking vacation instead at that date and retire at the beginning of May. I can take two months plus, then come back for that last day, then I'm out.

There are many advantages of doing so. For those two months, I'd still be drawing my normal paycheck. Not an untidy sum. I would still be on my employers medical plan with the minimal amount I now pay. I would still accrue vacation and sick time, even while I'm burning it. At my current rate, the maximum rate, I earn 3.25 hours per week. Over the two months, that would be an additional 26 hours, or three and a quarter days for which I would be paid. Probably the greatest advantage is that I'd get two extra months of 403(b) contributions from my employer. The stock market has been going nuts the past month, so that would be a nice addition.

The only disadvantage I see right now is that I wouldn't get that last, big check. I'd have to figure how to work around that, but it's do-able.

It's taking so long to get the house in order to sell. Downsizing is horrific! So much 'stuff', but it's good stuff. I come home tired and don't have the energy to tackle what needs to be done. I've resigned myself to being in the house a month or so anyway after I retire. Maybe taking a free vacation is the best solution.

p.s. Have to thank those who encouraged me awhile back. I posted a thread lamenting how I could I possibly endure the last three years before I retire. Y'all said that the time would pass quickly. How right you are! Hard to believe that I'm at the doorstep. After the Christmas holidays, I've told my trainee that he would officially be the IOT, (Instrument Operations Technician), and that I would divest myself of all responsibilities to keep our satellite instrument running. It would be up to him from then on. I would be around, but to only update the operating documentation and answer any questions he has. I kinda think January and February will be short work days for me.

Thanks for the support and encouragement. It's getting exciting and I'm looking forward to new adventures.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-08-2016, 02:07 PM

237 posts, read 197,200 times
When I retired, my HR person advised that I could convert my considerable unused sick leave to additional days worked, so as to extend my time on the job, thereby allowing me to attain a slightly higher employer contribution to my retiree health coverage, and a slight increase in my monthly retirement income.

Even more helpful was his suggestion that I have the value of my unused vacation paid into my 403b. No taxes!

Old 12-08-2016, 02:14 PM

4,722 posts, read 4,612,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
Even more helpful was his suggestion that I have the value of my unused vacation paid into my 403b. No taxes!
Forgot about that! Pay the taxes later, and theoretically at a lower rate. My fee-only financial advisor wants me to live off my 403(b) money anyway so that I can delay SS until I'm 70.

After 34 years there, I'm maxed out on all the rates anyway, so no real incentive to stick around longer to obtain greater financial benefits.

Thanks for the reminder. It's a good point toward bailing in March.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement