U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 08:25 AM

4,876 posts, read 3,377,616 times

Advertisements

I had to look javelina up. Never heard of it before. Saw pictures of it.... wild pig/boar.

Do they run freely in AZ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 10:22 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,084,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I had to look javelina up. Never heard of it before. Saw pictures of it.... wild pig/boar.

Yes, they are wild animals and show up in populated areas. They are nasty, and will come after dogs. They don't eat meat, but do not like dogs. And they chew up landscape bushes.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:48 AM

^^^^^^ That sounds pretty awful. They must exist in other southwestern states, I presume?

Not sure I would care to have them for "neighbors."

Old 12-13-2016, 02:38 PM

6,602 posts, read 5,266,487 times
Quote:
^^^^^^ That sounds pretty awful. They must exist in other southwestern states, I presume?

Not sure I would care to have them for "neighbors."
Yes, here in Texas. Love them. They are mascots for high school and a south Texas university. They can be tamed.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:42 PM

6,602 posts, read 5,266,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Yes, here in Texas. Love them. They are mascots for high school and a south Texas university. They can be tamed.
https://www.tamuk.edu/about/what_is_a_javelina.html

Old 12-13-2016, 05:21 PM

8,762 posts, read 9,835,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
@AZDB Thanks for sharing that inspiring story. It's always a joy to hear stories like this.

Hearing the Midwest weather reports makes me so glad to be in Arizona. The mornings are a bit chilly but the afternoons have been gorgeous.

I was up rather early the other morning and hearing a ruckus outside went out on the balcony. I was quite startled to see a herd of javelinas on the apartment complex grounds. There were three or four javelinas and they were quite large. For some reason they were rooting around a tree.

It is isn't it? It always makes me feel a little bit better about humanity when I see people acting with some compassion. Too often it doesn't happen. Although, I have to say that the people who live here are really pretty good about things like that.

I'm glad to be in Arizona! lol I watch the weather reports and feel sorry for the folks 'getting it'. It's chilly here in the mornings too but the days have been really nice. I turn the heat down to about 55 at night but stay perfectly warm. Nice warm comforters! And two cats. lol

Javelinas...ugh. Ugly, dirty and smelly! Actually I think the babies are really cute. Too bad they have to grow up. Where I used to live there was sign up the street that read "Javelina Crossing" and, you know, they actually did cross the street there! lol I'd see them most often early in the morning on my way to work. Had a 'family' of them living under the house next door too. It was a weekend home that wasn't used very often so they 'homesteaded' there. Pretty funny. They never bothered us, the dog or the cats but they did try to get into the garage one night. We kept the big bags of pet food out there. Also had a resident raccoon who liked cat food and a coyote who would trot right down the middle of the street in the evenings. Just neighbors. lol

Old 12-13-2016, 06:13 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,930,870 times
Two nights ago, I attended a live performance by the Los Angeles Philharmonic of Haydn's "Creation" (oratorio) at Walt Disney Concert Hall. The chorus was the Los Angeles Master Chorale. What a combination! I am so fortunate to live within easy driving distance of such memorable, transcendent performances. Live is good! (And man does not live by bread alone).

Old 12-13-2016, 07:53 PM

4,718 posts, read 4,614,471 times
One more for the bucket list before I bail SoCal. I attend concerts at the Hollywood Bowl several times a year, but have yet to make it to the Disney Concert Hall. I think the traffic is keeping me away.

What time do the mid-week concerts usually start? Maybe traffic isn't so 'bad' going into downtown.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-14-2016, 07:08 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times
Quote:

A client of mine who moved to Tucson had one following her on her daily walk last month. Being from here, she had no idea about them. A motorist stopped to warn her. When she turned around she freaked out. She also had to have her dog trained regarding the snakes coming into her yard. I think I would have packed my bags on day 2, despite the beauty of that part of the country.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
A client of mine who moved to Tucson had one following her on her daily walk last month. Being from here, she had no idea about them. A motorist stopped to warn her. When she turned around she freaked out. She also had to have her dog trained regarding the snakes coming into her yard. I think I would have packed my bags on day 2, despite the beauty of that part of the country.
I don't know about you, RiverBird, but I'll take snow and cold any day over encountering and dealing with those critters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement