U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times

Advertisements

Oh, and one last note: we bought a house! We happened to be down in Williamsburg and, as we usually do, checked out a few homes while we were there--and whaddaya know, we came across a place that had most of the things we wanted and seemed to be a good deal. So we bit the bullet and bought it. Wow, just when I had gotten used to putting this plan on the back burner, things changed on a dime. Funny how sometimes things happen so quickly!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Oh, and one last note: we bought a house! We happened to be down in Williamsburg and, as we usually do, checked out a few homes while we were there--and whaddaya know, we came across a place that had most of the things we wanted and seemed to be a good deal. So we bit the bullet and bought it. Wow, just when I had gotten used to putting this plan on the back burner, things changed on a dime. Funny how sometimes things happen so quickly!
How exciting - more info - what style, in a 55+ community or elsewhere? So when are you moving?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:17 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Well how about that! Grats, Caladium!

I am thinking this home "spoke to you" and that is exactly what needed to happen!

This is wonderful news and I look forward to hearing about your transition and upcoming move.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:26 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,613,123 times
Quote:
Oh, and one last note: we bought a house!
Great casual way to impart a big news. Congratulations on the house. I've always loved Williamsburg, at one point I seriously planned to move there, but life has the tendency of changing its course without my consent...

Old 05-30-2013, 11:42 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
Quote:
A big time congrats

Old 05-30-2013, 12:05 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,774,833 times
Quote:
Well, it's about time! Way to go.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:10 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Thanks everyone! I'm still trying to decide what I should and should not share about it, but I guess it's ok to say that it's not in a 55+ community (although we saw some nice ones there). The house has a tenant right now and she seems to be taking excellent care of the place. She wants to stay one more year, and we're thinking this might be a good idea, since it would give us plenty of time to take care of things up here. She only rents the upper floor so we would still be able to move things into the bottom half (aka a large walk out basement) and drop by quite a bit. But we're still thinking about that whole aspect of things.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I'm still trying to decide what I should and should not share about it, but I guess it's ok to say that it's not in a 55+ community (although we saw some nice ones there). The house has a tenant right now and she seems to be taking excellent care of the place. She wants to stay one more year, and we're thinking this might be a good idea, since it would give us plenty of time to take care of things up here. She only rents the upper floor so we would still be able to move things into the bottom half (aka a large walk out basement) and drop by quite a bit. But we're still thinking about that whole aspect of things.
All we want to know is: What's the address and when's the party?

Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM

278 posts, read 301,702 times
Quote:
Wow!! That was unexpected. One of those, "oh, by the way......(bombshell)"
Congratulations. Cool how things work out.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM

Default Ghost Army

This is so cool - the news just had a segment on a "fake" or Ghost Army that fooled the Nazis with inflatable real sized tanks/trucks complete with recorded sounds. They kept this a classified secret for 1/2 a century.

They showed guys climbing under a tank and then walking it forward to make it look like it was moving. Meanwhile, the real army was elsewhere doing their thing while the Germans were focusing on the Ghost Army. Too cool! It was a group of artists that had enlisted and the army thought to use their skills in this manner - to create these real life tanks & trucks & sounds.

I've mentioned this in this thread because this group may have already heard about this from family members or may have been in the army at the time.

I can't believe this has never made the news before. So clever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement