U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2016, 08:43 AM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I haven't posted here in about 2-3 months or so, but given that today is the most sacred day of the calendar year, I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Festivus!

My wife and I are traveling this holiday season and are celebrating Festivus this year in Germany. We've been in Berlin for the past week, but are in Dresden now. As the holiday season moves on from Festivus to Christmas, we will be moving on as well, and changing countries from Germany to the Czech Republic. We'll be in Prague for Christmas and a few days after before heading into Bohemia and Cesky Krumlov. And to wrap up the holiday season, we'll move on to Vienna for NYE and the first week of the new year.

Speaking of which, I wish everyone here a healthy and happy new year.
Nice to see you back posting and glad you are enjoying your travels. Without you, who will keep us all honest?

Old 12-23-2016, 10:43 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
jean_ji, what an exciting, busy, happy time for you!

I am lucky that I have grandchildren even though they are step grandchildren. The bad part is that the three of them live over in England. (dh is from England.) The good part is that their mother is wonderful and understanding enough to message me and keep me up to date with pictures.

We can't be with them on Christmas but she puts pictures of them opening our presents to them on facebook. She says that this year they are getting the baby a new car! It's some sort of thing he can sit in--he's only 1 1/2 so I don't think he has his license yet, lol.
It has been a fun season this year.

It's great you have such a thoughtful DIL and can keep up with your grandkid's lives and get to enjoy pictures and stories through her.

Our DIL is English too and her parents live in England but have a place here also. Usually they are here over the summer but there is a wedding in England next summer. So they are here for the holidays and love being with all their grandkids. We like DIL's parents very much after meeting them for the kid's wedding and then all of us going on the honeymoon together with the kids. It was a great way to build a relationship with them and makes it easy to be together and share the grandkids with them.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:05 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
I don't mean to be a downer.... why is it every year at this time I get sick? Sinus, respiratory stuff. Feeling miserable.

Bought a new TV....... thought it said it "had" wifi....... no it has free connection to wifi...... so hooking up this thing has become a bigger challenge for me than usual. Maybe cuz I'm so bleary eyed today.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:46 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I don't mean to be a downer.... why is it every year at this time I get sick? Sinus, respiratory stuff. Feeling miserable.

Bought a new TV....... thought it said it "had" wifi....... no it has free connection to wifi...... so hooking up this thing has become a bigger challenge for me than usual. Maybe cuz I'm so bleary eyed today.
This a bad time of year for allergies indoor and out door. The weather changes make it worse. Try AccuWeather online and their symptoms alerts. Great for sinus, allergies, arthritis etc. My Accupuncturist gives me a seasonal adjustment treatment. He gave me a special winter one on Wednesday which is designed to be given on the Winter Solstace. He was trying it out. Had given to himself earlier.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:21 PM

6,618 posts, read 5,275,385 times
Quote:

change of weather. I get ill in January. But it has scaled back quite a bit. I'm down to a couple of episodes a year. Used to be more often. Even trips to the ER. Horrible.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:21 PM

Local son and family coming over for Xmas eve dinner and we are going there for Xmas morning brunch. The kids are excited as we all are. Doing some serious cooking tomorrow. Gonna smoke a turkey, smoke some ribs and the wife is fixing a crock pot brisket. Meats are all prepped and we had fun doing that while listening to Christmas music. Listening to Sirius now and will be enjoying seasonal music for the next 48 hours. If tomorrow night is a clear sky and the weather is decent I will hopefully will be on the deck listening and looking for that bright star in the sky which can be one awesome evening.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:24 PM

6,618 posts, read 5,275,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Local son and family coming over for Xmas eve dinner and we are going there for Xmas morning brunch. The kids are excited as we all are. Doing some serious cooking tomorrow. Gonna smoke a turkey, smoke some ribs and the wife is fixing a crock pot brisket. Meats are all prepped and we had fun doing that while listening to Christmas music.
I've never tried a crockpot brisket. Let us know how it turns out.

We've been having a "battle" on what we are going to have. I have a couple of relatives that think we should eat carrots and grass (salad) for Christmas. How annoying. It is one day we should be able to eat whatever unless you are on a restricted diet of course. We will have brisket, but from a local place.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've never tried a crockpot brisket. Let us know how it turns out.

We've been having a "battle" on what we are going to have. I have a couple of relatives that think we should eat carrots and grass (salad) for Christmas. How annoying. It is one day we should be able to eat whatever unless you are on a restricted diet of course. We will have brisket, but from a local place.
My wife has made crockpot brisket before and it is good. I agree that Christmas dinner should be a feast with something for all plates. She is also making a shrimp appetizer and Mac and Cheese for the kids along with the traditional.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:27 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:

I'm so sorry. It used to happen to me and they told me it was due to the dry inside air in winter. I even tried a vaporizer but that didn't help very much. Every single year at this time I had to go on antibiotics! Then a few years ago I was using some sort of nasal gel spray and it was helping. Helped so much that I decided I would NOT get a sinus infection that year. We went on a cruise just after Christmas and the dreaded sinus problem got worse. Solution was to use one of those neti pot things that my ENT put me on AND to breathe the warm tropical air.

Ever since then, I have never had the sinus infection. If you don't have that neti pot thingy, you could buy one at the drug store. (I'd recommend the tropical cruise too, lol.) Then you could also sooth yourself by watching something great on your new tv--if you ever got it hooked up.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:14 AM

4,882 posts, read 3,382,746 times
The sinus problem was only the beginning.

Very upset stomach, wondered if I should call an ambulance but decided not to. Headache that doesn't want to go away. Took some generic Tylenol but only made my stomach feel worse.

Not going to be a happy holiday here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement