U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 07:27 PM

6,612 posts, read 5,271,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I used to get the "flu" every year before I started getting the flu shots. While I didn't get the full force of the flu I used to get, I still got something every year.

I think the flu has many symptoms. They seem to be finding different strains every year.

I'll be glad when I can get to a store. Not sure what is open now and wouldn't go tonight anyway.... but maybe tomorrow if something is opened. Thank goodness for Google.
I've only been officially diagnosed with the flu once. I could barely move.

Try the BRAT diet. Bananas, Rice, apple sauce and toast.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:31 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,576,860 times
Oh my gosh, nygal, been there. I hope you have the energy to get to a store tomorrow.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:39 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2016, 08:43 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,567,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I live alone, this time of year everyone busy, can't trust myself to drive anywhere right now.

Sorry to be so descriptive, but projectile vomiting and diarrhea really kept me down. My ribs hurt from the vomiting. I don't really think it was just sinus. I've had sinus infections in the past and I know this was not like that in any way.

Wouldn't you know...... no soup, no Sprite, all the things that might have been easy going down. Once I can navigate again, I'll be heading for the store!

Jim, I had never heard that about Tylenol before. And Ritz crackers. I'll be sure to remember ou.
Projectile vomiting and diarrhea sounds like Norovirus or stomach flu which is not a true flu virus so a flu shot would not prevent it. These viruses can be rapidly transmitted, especially in institutional type settings. Several Christmases ago, my elderly aunt infected most of our family as she got it from her someone else in her senior apartments. We had to postpone opening presents a couple of days because everyone was so ill and we were trying to keep the children away from the sick adults.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:46 AM

8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to you and all on the Retirement board! It's going to be a quiet one here today. Just me and the young lady staying with me. We will have a nice ham dinner with all the trimmings and I'm making a chocolate cheesecake for dessert. Yum! I froze some fresh berries a couple months ago and will make a 'glaze' for it.

I hope all those not feeling well will have a good day too. Nothing like being sick over the holidays. I am feeling pretty whooped myself but that's because this past week at work has been CRAZY! I actually slept in till 8:00. That's really rare. I am only working 4.5 hours tomorrow and then have my regular two days off. Have a LOT to get done here so I'll be busy.

My son is getting married today. This is the one who reunited with the mother of his daughter two years ago. The daughter is 35 so you know it's been a long time for them. Oldest daughter is in Reno with them and wish I could be there! Daughter tells me she is ready to move back here and that does my heart good. I miss her and so do her kids and grandkids. It'll be a while because of her lease but I can't wait to have her back. She said I should get her room ready. lol Haven't been able to get hold of younger daughter but will try again this morning.

Again, Merry Christmas and hope everyone's day goes smoothly and happily!

PS...finally got hold of daughter and she's coming for dinner! Yay!!

Old 12-25-2016, 09:35 AM

20,317 posts, read 19,304,785 times
Merry Christmas. Hope it's a good one.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:51 PM

Merry Christmas all. We are having an ice storm which, in all probability, will then turn into a snow storm. I tried to go to the little store before it got bad but my car doors are frozen shut. Even walking with my walker to the car did not go well. So I am staying in!

Hearing the wind & watching the rain, I'm very glad I have a nice warm apartment.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:45 PM

6,612 posts, read 5,271,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Merry Christmas all. We are having an ice storm which, in all probability, will then turn into a snow storm. I tried to go to the little store before it got bad but my car doors are frozen shut. Even walking with my walker to the car did not go well. So I am staying in!

Hearing the wind & watching the rain, I'm very glad I have a nice warm apartment.
We are setting record highs here in south texas! Very strange. 83 degrees right now.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:13 PM

The weather ha been strange all year.

I've got a brother who is being an idiot. He's driving from Grand Rapids, MN to here. Thankfully he has an adorable wife who he treasures, married 45 years, so hopefully he'll stop & get a motel room if it gets too bad. It's more North Dakota right now, the freeway is closed from Montana to Jamestown, but it's still bad here.

I'm keeping them in my prayers.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:56 PM

238 posts, read 197,812 times
NYgal, I'm so sorry to hear you have been feeling so awful. I hope you are feeling better.

Merry Christmas to all! It is a delight to know each of you, even though vicariously.

Stay safe, stay warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement