Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times

Advertisements

Ani - That must have been scarey! Glad you knew what it was and how to handle it and that it's getting better

Old 06-26-2013, 05:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Ani - That must have been scarey! Glad you knew what it was and how to handle it and that it's getting better
Other than a knot under my ear, things seem back to normal. I will have a doc check this out but at least nothing acute going on today!

Old 06-26-2013, 05:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Good news, and yay! Stones are no fun at all. Ani, has your doctor ever told you to avoid certain foods? Just curious, because a different sort of stones (kidney) run in my family and we've seen some dramatic evidence that changing your diet can really help. The biggest thing may be cutting out all colas (if you drink them). Apparently there's some sort of chemical in cola drinks that encourages stone growth.

Last edited by Caladium; 06-26-2013 at 05:49 AM..

Old 06-26-2013, 05:45 AM

Well, the Fitness App that Tuborg told me about has answered a question I have had for over a year. I am getting messages at the end of the day saying I am not eating enough to maintain good health and may have put my body into starvation mode.

My family sees how I eat and we have all been thinking for over a year that I should be thin based on caloric intake.

So now we know. I am, on most days, not consuming even 1000 calories. I am not eating a nutritionally poor diet; I am just not eating enough.

Those occasional pastries and sandwiches are not the problem.

So back to the drawing board. I can keep eating the yogurt, salads and veggies--just more of them, and it looks like I can add more fruit. It is always half an orange or 7 strawberries or half a banana. I don't even eat a whole chicken breast--I split it in half and make 2 meals of it. I have cut down too much!!!

This is a mind blower. Doing fine with my water intake. I just need to eat more. This is going to be interesting. I cook and then don't eat what I prepare or eat only a very small portion.

Thanks to Tuborg, I am going to turn this around.

According to projections, once I get my metabolism revved back up, I will be down to my ideal weight in only 8 weeks. How about that. :-)

Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Good news, and ay! Stones are no fun at all. Ani, has your doctor ever told you to avoid certain foods? Just curious, because a different sort of stones (kidney) run in my family and we've seen some dramatic evidence that changing your diet can really help. The biggest thing may be cutting out all colas (if you drink them). Apparently there's some sort of chemical in cola drinks that encourages stone growth.
No, never had any problems with other stones and not something anyone in my family has had, either. But I do love coke and sprite, even though I have to discipline myself to not drink them!!!

I have been told since very young that I have a dry mouth and eyes, and after reading, that somehow can be related to problems with salivary/parotid ducts and stones. But I am so careful--use natural tears all day long, even when I wake up at night, and sip on liquids all day. I need to find out if there is more to this.

It could be other products, like dairy products, could cause stones. So I am going to ask questions and read, too.

Glad you brought up any diet connection--I do need to find out about that.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:51 AM

This is so interesting. Who would have guessed? Can't wait to see it the predictions turn out to be accurate. Tuborg, by all means apply for one of those useful poster awards--you deserve it.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:54 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, the Fitness App that Tuborg told me about has answered a question I have had for over a year. I am getting messages at the end of the day saying I am not eating enough to maintain good health and may have put my body into starvation mode.

My family sees how I eat and we have all been thinking for over a year that I should be thin based on caloric intake.

So now we know. I am, on most days, not consuming even 1000 calories. I am not eating a nutritionally poor diet; I am just not eating enough.

Those occasional pastries and sandwiches are not the problem.

So back to the drawing board. I can keep eating the yogurt, salads and veggies--just more of them, and it looks like I can add more fruit. It is always half an orange or 7 strawberries or half a banana. I don't even eat a whole chicken breast--I split it in half and make 2 meals of it. I have cut down too much!!!

This is a mind blower. Doing fine with my water intake. I just need to eat more. This is going to be interesting. I cook and then don't eat what I prepare or eat only a very small portion.

Thanks to Tuborg, I am going to turn this around.

According to projections, once I get my metabolism revved back up, I will be down to my ideal weight in only 8 weeks. How about that. :-)
Have you had your thyroid checked? Look up hypothyroidism - a friend of mine sounded just like you and discovered she needed a tweak with some thyroid meds. It worked.

This becomes more common in women over 60.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyp...CTION=symptoms

Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 AM

If you're prone to stones and craving a soft drink, I've heard that ginger ale is the best bet. To be honest, though, if hydration is a concern I'd skip the soft drinks altogether and stick to water and juice. Hard to do though, sometimes. Lemonade is your friend if you're prone to stones (supposedly the acid helps break them down so the stones never build up in the first place) although I'm not sure if it would help with your situation. We add lemon juice to lots of things, especially juice, and often make lemonade with very little or no sugar. Sour, yes, but you get used to it in time.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:09 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
When I had a tiny kidney stone imbedded in kidney meat posing no problem and which I would have easily passed it had it been loose my urologist told me that a workable home preventative is to consume large amounts of lemon. He did not mention the kola nut or cola drinks nor did he mention any other sort of stone.

I had been drinking tomato juice and iced tea loaded with lemon juice as well as unsweetened lemonade for years.

Different sorts of stones have different compositions. For example, gall stones are comosed primarily of cholesterol. I required gall bladder surgery when I was 43 but my cholesterol level has never been over 130.

I do believe that I'm in the mood for some lemonade. I currently have some gigantic and juicy lemons, two of which will yield almost five ounces of juice. I'll add about ten ounces of water.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
This is so interesting. Who would have guessed? Can't wait to see it the predictions turn out to be accurate. Tuborg, by all means apply for one of those useful poster awards--you deserve it.
Tuborg is my hero! Seriously--this is such a big deal. I have just sat and cried b/c I have deliberately turned myself off to eating due to feeling like a blimp with this weight gain -- yet the pounds won't budge. I added more walking, starting last year but nothing. My son had been fussing at me since I put the weight on, saying I was being dishonest or just deluding myself about what I was eating. Then I wrote things down for several weeks this winter and he said -- no way. (his degree has a nutrition component in it --so he is educated on this subject) He said -- you should be in ketosis with this level of caloric intake and protein vs, carb ratio. So I checked my urine (litmus) and of course, I was not in ketosis.

We just quit talking about it as I got so emotional about it and my son felt bad about upsetting me.

My doc said--menopausal weight gain--JUST EXERCISE MORE and cut back on carbs.

I get very depressed b/c I don't feel like myself with these extra pounds. I am embarrassed b/c It makes me feel I present myself to the world as a person with an eating disorder, or that I don't eat healthy food -- and the opposite is truth. Love to cook, spend a lot of effort getting great ingredients and rarely eat fast food -- or even eat in restaurants.

I won't go to yoga classes b/c my weight indicates I am not in tune with what I supposedly have been practicing for over 30 years! How can I claim some insight into mind/body/spirit when my body doesn't match my mind and spirit, lol. I feel like a fraud! Plus, the other women are not overweight and even tho they are so kind and dear, I feel like I don't belong and I can tell they are thinking--something isn't adding up here. She professes healthy living but look at her.

So it has been this sad situation in my life and I have been feeling hopeless. My doctor knows it is the truth--I put on 37 pounds in less than 4 months, and I swear I did nothing to cause the weight gain. It sounds impossible. He changed hormones for me 5 times over the next 2 yrs until finally I said --awww, forget it. And I quit HRT.

But the pounds have remained.

Now I feel like I have some answers. I can put together a plan.

so yes, Tuborg's helpful suggestion has meant the world to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement