Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 02:03 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times

Advertisements

Love hearing good news like that. Heres hoping the roof project doesn't throw you any more curveballs.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:51 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
childhood friends are the best! Congrats Ani

I still haven't made it back to Black Mountain to retire but when I do I know already who I can trust. Because I knew them back when.
YES! I am so happy; so relieved! He is going to be my caretaker, too - giving him a key. How I even found out he was back here was my momma talking to his momma, lol. Don't you love it???

We were like family - called ourselves "cousins." My fishing buddy! We used to find shards of native american pottery and arrowheads on the banks around the river. He used to have a very fine collection of artifacts.

I secretly am hoping he will take me fishing again. I don't mind cooking those trout if someone else is cleaning them, lol.

<Note to self: find that rod and reel!!!>

Old 08-10-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Love hearing good news like that. Heres hoping the roof project doesn't throw you any more curveballs.
Yes, the roofer is hoping things work out with the weather . . . I am literally praying he can start on it - it won't take that long once they get things moving along.

Once the roof is on, then we can get going on the interior/ceiling.

Thank you so much for your good wishes!

Old 08-11-2013, 12:52 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So happy! One of my childhood friends has moved back to this region from Florida and he is going to take over with all the renovations on this house! YAY!!!! I am so relieved . . . expert craftsmanship from someone I trust!!! Today has been a good day! :-)
Wonderful news! Happy for you.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:52 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Excellent

Old 08-11-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Wonderful news! Happy for you.
Thank you, LibraGirl!

I need to figure out how to post photos -- I used to post them, but I had to use a secondary account, load them there, then link them. I think that is still how we have to do it.

You simply wouldn't believe my roof, lol -- it looks quite charming - moss covered! But the moss "eats" the shakes . . . what a mess!!!!

Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 AM

OK, time to put my money where my mouth is. Just signed up for my first Half Marathon. And now that I've hit that send button and made the commitment my head says "Oh God, now what have I done...."

In 88 days I'll have to finish 13.1 miles in less than 4 hours. I know hundreds of seniors do it every year, not to mention people in their 70s and older, but does that mean I can? I've been doing a few miles a day for a few months now, and occasionally bumping it up to 8 miles--and right now that seems like my limit! And it usually takes me all morning. Amazing to think that in such a short time I'll be ready for this event, but the people I' m working out with all seem to think it isn't a short time at all and that by November I'll be ready. We'll see.

Guess it can't hurt to try it and see how far I get... but now that I've actually signed up to do it, all I can think is "Yikes! And.... whatever happened to my plans to sleep in until noon each day?

Last edited by Caladium; 08-20-2013 at 05:01 AM..

Old 08-20-2013, 04:55 AM

Wow, Ani, the roof of your house sounds really interesting. Hope that project is going smoothly. I've always been a fan of octagon houses. Very cool, indeed. I do hope you post a few photos. It's really not that difficult to post them. I found it a little tricky the first time, but actually quite easy once I get the hang of it. The FAQ section of city-data has a pretty good guide for how to post photos, if it helps.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
OK, time to put my money where my mouth is. Just signed up for my first Half Marathon. And now that I've hit that send button and made the commitment my head says "Oh God, now what have I done...."

In 88 days I'll have to finish 13.1 miles in less than 4 hours. I know hundreds of seniors do it every year, not to mention people in their 70s and older, but does that mean I can? I've been doing a few miles a day for a few months now, and occasionally bumping it up to 8 miles--and right now that seems like my limit! And it usually takes me all morning. Amazing to think that in such a short time I'll be ready for this event, but the people I' m working out with all seem to think it isn't a short time at all and that by November I'll be ready. We'll see.

Guess it can't hurt to try it and see how far I get... but now that I've actually signed up to do it, all I can think is "Yikes! And.... whatever happened to my plans to sleep in until noon each day?
OH MY GOODNESS!!! Way to go, Caladium!!!

I am very impressed. It is a lofty goal (or would be for me!!!)

You don't know what you can do til you put yourself out there and try it! I think this is a wonderful goal and I think you will find it rewarding on many levels.

I hope you will share your journey with us!

Old 08-20-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Wow, Ani, the roof of your house sounds really interesting. Hope that project is going smoothly. I've always been a fan of octagon houses. Very cool, indeed. I do hope you post a few photos. It's really not that difficult to post them. I found it a little tricky the first time, but actually quite easy once I get the hang of it. The FAQ section of city-data has a pretty good guide for how to post photos, if it helps.
I will have to read up on that section re: photos. In the past, I had a separate account, would have to post photos there, then link them here. Maybe there are other ways of doing things.

I did take a few photos . . . the roof is up and looks wonderful! All that is left to complete is the fascia (and some other detail work) which has been primed and will be painted once in place. It poured most of yesterday so no workmen on site! Not sure if they will be here today . . . it is time for them to be here if they are coming so we shall see. Still very damp outside as it has rained during the night -- and foggy this morning.

I couldn't be more pleased with my new roof! Love the smell of cedar, too.

I am doing a tongue-and-groove ceiling on the interior.

Trying to work with all the hammering and pneumatic nailing and slamming around going on was a challenge, but it was a happy challenge, despite the interruptions. So glad to get this accomplished!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement