Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, it is not my stuff, I have already downsized into what will fit in my cubby at the nursing home.
I'm envious--that's a goal I'd like to reach. Maybe not this year, but soon. To me, there's something very reassuring about thoughts like that--guess I like the idea of travelling light, and knowing that you can easily find things when you need them. I like getting to a point where everything you own is something you truly value or truly need.

Last edited by Caladium; 09-06-2013 at 02:16 AM..

Old 09-06-2013, 02:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Today it feels like October outside! I feel like going out and buying a pumpkin, or something.

Today we're going bike riding in around the monuments in Gettysburg. That's another things that makes it feel like fall--we've put away the beach stuff and are now into bike riding. I'm actually wearing a sweatshirt over my t-shirt this morning. Love it when things cool down a little.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:04 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Today it feels like October outside! I feel like going out and buying a pumpkin, or something.

Today we're going bike riding in around the monuments in Gettysburg. That's another things that makes it feel like fall--we've put away the beach stuff and are now into bike riding. I'm actually wearing a sweatshirt over my t-shirt this morning. Love it when things cool down a little.
We love visiting Gettysburg....haven't been there in a while....quaint town. We are in awe of the battlefield and the history. Our maple tree has lost about 25% of it's leaves and the rest are about a week or two away from full color. Our white dogwood is in bloom....it is so confused.

I love fall but dread the winter....not my favorite.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:57 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Terrific!

I have honestly been considering getting some wicker and using it in my living room. Maybe paint it a darkish color so it doesn't look too summery. Corduroy cushions for winter, chintz for summer.

No interior decorator will ever set foot in my house!
On the contrary, I think it will look shabby chic. Rough it up a little.

I was thinking of a collection of those folding nylon and aluminum chairs, folding TV trays, and a green grass rug. I saw a beautiful bright palm tree lamp at Lowe's the other day and reached up to see the price when DP grabbed my arm and hauled me away. I thought two of them would look great on either side of the chez lounge.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Just wondering if Ani has an update on her shoulder? Sounds terribly painful.
Awwww - thank you, Umbria, for caring! Yes, it is painful! And my 4th injury to that shoulder. I have had some hard falls, all related to either trying to do something I shouldn't have been doing or to running (in the wrong shoes!!!) I can do something about the shoes and I (think!) I have finally accepted that physically, I can't do some of the labor-related activities I did in the past. Waiting on the doc's office to let me know about PT.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 AM

If you have a Garden Ridge near you, they have a long (seats 4 or 5 adults easily) outdoor wicker that is a woven black/dark brown combo....it is fabulous - really perfect for a living room. The price is great too: $199. The only problem is they have no cushions to sell for it so you would have to figure that one out. I would have bought one had they had a one-piece cushion...we have the room for this on our outdoor porch and I know my 6'7" hubby could stretch out and take a nap on it.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Awwww - thank you, Umbria, for caring! Yes, it is painful! And my 4th injury to that shoulder. I have had some hard falls, all related to either trying to do something I shouldn't have been doing or to running (in the wrong shoes!!!) I can do something about the shoes and I (think!) I have finally accepted that physically, I can't do some of the labor-related activities I did in the past. Waiting on the doc's office to let me know about PT.
So sorry about this. I keep injuring the same leg - slipped on the last 2 stairs and broke a small bone in my knee - 2 weeks on crutches...one more week before I can do steep climbing around the hilly streets of our subdivision.

Healing thoughts.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Remember the days when we could pack everything we owned into our car? Amazing to think that after college I packed up the car, drove off to my first job in Texas, and didn't even bother to get an apartment until after I got there. I simply drove into town, got the paper, and found a great apartment before the day was done. How things have changed!
I never was able to do that! Well, my first semester in college . . . after that, I had an apartment and started collecting primitive antiques, which I refinished and sold to help subsidize my tuition and living expenses. I was working for my Uncle, who was an antiques dealer, so that is how this all came about. My attachment to furniture is very emotional . . . but I was able to gift my last remaining piece from college last year . . . to my son. A beautiful, totally intact and restored Hoosier Cabinet, which he is using in his home as a bar - very cute!

I have reconciled that I will never be able to let go of the Pie Safe . . . most here in the South are made from Pine and this one is cherry, circa 1830. However, if I do need to relinquish it, my son will enjoy it, too, so at least I know it will have a caring home.

The rest of the stuff . . . I don't know. I am trying to detach but it is awfully difficult.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
So sorry about this. I keep injuring the same leg - slipped on the last 2 stairs and broke a small bone in my knee - 2 weeks on crutches...one more week before I can do steep climbing around the hilly streets of our subdivision.

Healing thoughts.
I am so sorry to hear about your leg . . . but it sounds promising that you are improving and can start climbing again, soon!

Sending healing thoughts to you, too! I think it really does matter when we send out energy to others. Thank you!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Keeping my fingers crossed for good news for you, Ani. What a bummer to have a fall like that. Hope you aren't in pain.

Good news about the storm door. Yes, they say this should be a cold winter. Do you guys have woolly bears in Boone? We should be seeing them soon, and I'll be very curious to see if they're predicting a harsh winter this year. They're amazingly accurate. I know we're not supposed to believe in things like that.... but what can I say, they get it right more often than the weather guys.
We have black bears here, but there is a very specific way we predict weather here . . . wooly worms! Yes, we even have a festival!

Here's an article I wrote about wooly worms for my "old" blog b/f I migrated it to wordpress.org platform.

A Winter’s Tale

And here is info about the Wooly Worm Festival:

Woolly Worm Festival

PS> All the talk about photos in another thread . . . mine should show up if you scroll down the page . . . that is my current FB photo, actually, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement