Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 10:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times

Advertisements

LOL, yeah that fox needs therapy. I'm not sure what's more neurotic, compulsively stealing newspapers, or compulsively dropping them on my driveway.

Just realized some of you may not know the saga of our neighborhood newspaper stealing fox. So here's the scoop: We have a whole family of foxes that built a den under my neighbor's porch a few months ago. Since then, we've discovered the father fox is a newspaper thief!

Every morning he steals newspapers from all the houses on my street (and even the next street over) and then runs down the street carrying them in his mouth, eventually dropping them at the foot of our driveway. Why my driveway? Beats me. You'd think he'd take them to his den, but no, he leaves them scattered all over the mouth of our drive. And then I go out and pick them all up, stacking them by the side so the neighbors can retrieve them.

Does he ever get tired of newspaper? For awhile we thought he did. There was about a week when he seemed more interested in swiping crocs. But apparently the kids have gotten smart about not leaving their crocs out. Or maybe newspapers in plastic bags are his favorite thing. At anyrate, he returned to newspaper delivery. He seems to bring the Wall Street Journal more than anything else--although he also likes the freebie newspapers. Not sure what that means but I guess I'm glad our neighborhood fox isn't into Playboys or The Enquirer. Bad enough to have a stack of WSJ by our drive.

After the first few days we sent and e-mail around the neighborhood letting everyone know where their papers are. Not that sending this e-mail discouraged Mr. Fox. But at least everyone's gotten into the habit of stopping by to get their paper. And I guess the good news is we get to socialize a little bit with some of the neighbors we rarely see.

Life in the suburbs!

Last edited by Caladium; 09-08-2013 at 11:21 AM..

Old 09-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
It would be fun to somehow set up a camera to record the little thief. I think the fox needs therapy.
We set a web cam up twice, but so far it has'nt given us anything but a good look at our driveway. It's hard to aim it at the right spot, since he isn't always consistent about where he drops them. Can't decide if it's bad luck or if that fox somehow knows what we're doing. One of these days I'm going to get a snap shot of him, though. I've seen him running down the street a few times, newspaper in mouth, so it's just a matter of time when I see him and also have the camera in hand. Then Mr. Fox, hope you're prepared to be an internet star!

Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
NO! Your neighbor didn't!

Will he sneak it back and pretend you just didn't find it earlier? GET THAT MEGAPHONE!!!!!
LOL LOL just saw this and now I'm picturing him sneaking back. Oh yeah, that's something I'd love to see.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It's coming to that. In the DMI (directory mental illness), I have the opposite of hoarder (obsessive-compulsive spartanism). I do hoard bed linens and towels, but in general "stuff" and bric-a-brac makes me break out in a rash. I loved the minimalist painters (Rothko, Stella, etc) as there's nothing extraneous on the canvas. I love Danish modern. My house is not that sleek, yet. DP doesn't care as long as I stay out of his territory.

I inherited this problem from my dad, who was always giving away things when my mother was out of the house, and chopping down trees and vines from the yard. I never went into any of the kids' or hubby's rooms, however, never crossed their thresholds, other than to glance in and advise a cleanup (command, with the kids).

Very interesting - I have never heard of this. Your dad may have used his chopping as a form of therapy - based on things you've mentioned about your mom. When I worked, there wasn't a weed in my yard. I'd see one - assign a name and give it a good yank - felt so much better

Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Very interesting - I have never heard of this. Your dad may have used his chopping as a form of therapy - based on things you've mentioned about your mom. When I worked, there wasn't a weed in my yard. I'd see one - assign a name and give it a good yank - felt so much better
I don't know if you've ever seen a real hoarder's home, but generally it's pathetic. I would get physically ill amid all that stuff, usually not even nicely organized. I don't understand the reasoning if there is any behind hoarding. All I know is that I am the direct opposite. I keep bringing nice items to son's house but DIL has put her foot down. Now I have to call son on the sly for things I know it would be good for him to have, like leftover pricey building materials he can use in his business or house. I always preface the call with "now I'm just throwing this idea out there, in no way do I want you feel pressured to take this, it's just an offer you can feel free to turn down," etc. And he usually does. I'm not offering anymore.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I keep bringing nice items to son's house but DIL has put her foot down. Now I have to call son on the sly for things I know it would be good for him to have, like leftover pricey building materials he can use in his business or house.
Glad to hear you've decided to stop doing this. You're causing your son to fight with his wife, and giving your daughter in law reason to resent you. If DIL has put her foot down, respect that. Calling your son "on the sly" is a bad idea. Especially since your son is turning down your offers--obviously he agrees with his wife. No matter how well meaning your gifts may be, any more offers from you will backfire.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Glad to hear you've decided to stop doing this. You're causing your son to fight with his wife, and giving your daughter in law reason to resent you. If DIL has put her foot down, respect that. Calling your son "on the sly" is a bad idea. Especially since your son is turning down your offers--obviously he agrees with his wife. No matter how well meaning your gifts may be, any more offers from you will backfire.
They are calm people (rather unlike me) and wouldn't fight over something like this, lol. DIL and I joke about it. She actually tried to pawn of some of her wedding cookware on me, which I did take some of. Their home when newly married was furnished with family items from me, aunts, and siblings. Many of the items offered they could not afford. Now they are doing well and don't need the hand me downs. But yes, it doesn't take me long to take a hint.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Its good to offer things to family, but since they arent interested, just give the stuff to charity. If no charity wants it, throw it out. Once you've archived paperwork, shred it or throw it out unshredded, as appropriate. Throw out your own things and not things that belong to other people. I'm going through the same process, so I get it that it's not always easy but I think you're making it much more difficult than it needs to be.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
They are calm people (rather unlike me) and wouldn't fight over something like this, lol.
Glad to hear it. It was the words "on the sly" that made me raise an eyebrow. But maybe that's just the way we see things in my family--we'd consider a MIL who does something behind a DIL's back to be meddling. I tend to think people who feel they need to give something "on the sly" know their action is likely to cause a problem. Otherwise they would be making the offer openly. But that's my family. Others see it differently and the important thing is you know your family better than I do--glad to hear they'd find it amusing.

Last edited by Caladium; 09-08-2013 at 06:38 PM..

Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Default The walls that eat the paint~~

I have been painting the inside of a closet - yep, inside a closet, and I swear the walls eat the paint. I just finished coat #2 and the paint dries super fast and it never looks "right" (I almost hate using the " marks). Same paint used on the BR walls - no problem there. I am done - it is a closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement