Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 05:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well said. I hope that anyone who has a really tough time with isolation or grief during the long holiday season will check in here and express their feelings. Many of us are here to support, even if we really are strangers. Sometimes strangers can offer the best solace.
A loved pet can do a far better job than any human. The person who gives you oh-so-caring support on the internet forgets you as soon a she reads the next post; your pets do not; their concern is real and lasting.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
A loved pet can do a far better job than any human. The person who gives you oh-so-caring support on the internet forgets you as soon a she reads the next post; your pets do not; their concern is real and lasting.
I find and also in my classes teach that writing can be most therapeutic, even if no one ever sees it. So yes a pet is good solace, but also expressing feelings through art or words is natural and healing. Getting a caring response from a stranger can be as much of a gift as anything, if one is so inclined to open up to those s/he doesn't know.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I find and also in my classes teach that writing can be most therapeutic, even if no one ever sees it. So yes a pet is good solace, but also expressing feelings through art or words is natural and healing. Getting a caring response from a stranger can be as much of a gift as anything, if one is so inclined to open up to those s/he doesn't know.
There is no "one" answer. During a serious illness I had enormous support and help from strangers an ocean away. I will never forget that one lit candles in her church for me and another sent me something that I physically held as I was wheeled into surgery. Two others who I never met talked to me online every day and several times on the phone pre-surgery and one called in the hospital; the other sent flowers.

No one in my personal life had gone through what I was going through. Not that I don't love my dog or my cat but they offer a different kind of solace. Sometimes I would need my animals and not my online friends. Sometimes only your real life friends can help, real life friends who know you and can be there physically when that is what you need.

For some people, writing would calm them and meet their needs. I am not a writer but for me a car trip or just getting away for a while can work wonders. We are all so individual and our needs are so different.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There is no "one" answer. During a serious illness I had enormous support and help from strangers an ocean away. I will never forget that one lit candles in her church for me and another sent me something that I physically held as I was wheeled into surgery. Two others who I never met talked to me online every day and several times on the phone pre-surgery and one called in the hospital; the other sent flowers.

No one in my personal life had gone through what I was going through. Not that I don't love my dog or my cat but they offer a different kind of solace. Sometimes I would need my animals and not my online friends. Sometimes only your real life friends can help, real life friends who know you and can be there physically when that is what you need.

For some people, writing would calm them and meet their needs. I am not a writer but for me a car trip or just getting away for a while can work wonders. We are all so individual and our needs are so different.
When I said "writing" I didn't mean anything more than writing (to strangers) by posting on C-D or other forums.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
Today I felt like an old woman. I thought, for the first time, that I would not be able to get my plants into the house for the winter. It felt like an important milestone, one I was not ready to face.

I did it. More small pots in my future.

I am enjoying the conversation. Listening to strangers is also therapeutic.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Okay, found a place to live, moving next month. Positive changes. SO may quit working, finally, at 73! He can putter around, take care of me.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:30 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, found a place to live, moving next month. Positive changes. SO may quit working, finally, at 73! He can putter around, take care of me.
That sounds positive. My husband is the same age--they putter and they can be pretty good at taking care of us. Moving is H*** but once you get settled in, that should be an improvement.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post

I did it. More small pots in my future.
I'm thinking about pot in my future too.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I am very fortunate, my daughter is just hanging out now, before the next semester, so she is moving to our new place next week, and since it is less than 2miles from our current place, she can help pack, clean, and all that. I knew there was a reason I had her!

SO did look at senior housing, but I am way over income, and too young. He had a choice, and decided to hang with me.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Congratulations Jasper! A lot of time I think finding the place is the hardest part of most moves. Once you get past that hurdle the wheels are in motion, and everything else happens (one way or the other). Some parts are a PITA but before you know it you'll be through it and happy in your new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement