Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 02:21 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

I remember seeing a car turned over in a ditch about 25' deep within the city of Chicago. There was a construction project of some sort.
This is a great example.

You're absolutely right that things like this can happen--in all the years I've volunteered at Fire and Rescue I've seen accidents like this happen once maybe every few years. Not every incident is this extreme, but it will do as an example. The odds of this happening to you are low, but conceivable. But before you buy hatchets and hammers and other extraction equipment, here are three things I've learned from seeing these rescues in real life:

1. When you're in populated areas people see accidents like this. You really won't need to extract yourself from the car and you won't need to walk 5 miles down the road to find help, either. (Note, this can happen if you're driving out in an isolated area--I'm talking about driving in a metro area here). You would not believe the number of 911 calls that come in when there's a major crash or a car going over an embankment. So just sit tight, you really are better off not doing anything too dramatic beyond calling for help and maybe finding a way to stay warm. In a more populated area you'd be surprised how quickly people notice a car that's gone off the road. Even if it isn't seen from the road it will be seen from some other angle, or someone will see the accident occur. In urban areas there's always someone else on the road.

2. Those hatchets and hammers you stored in the back seat are not going to help you in a situation like this. The reality of a major emergency such as you mentioned is that you're going to be sitting fairly still most of the time, not pulling equipment out from some storage place in the back of your car. You probably won't be able to get to those things, anyway.

3. Worse, if hatchets, hammers, and other gear aren't securely stored the worse reality is these things will go flying in a serious accident and possibly injure you a lot more than the car will.

Now before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm not trying to give anyone grief. Also, I do think a small basic emergency kit is a good thing to have in a car. It's just that sometimes I think we get a little carried away in this forum. What starts out as smart advice gets overdone as each poster tries to add to the message. Human nature, but what I see a lot on internet forums is people end up paralyzing themselves by talking themselves into chronic worrying. Makes me sad when I see that happen.

I would hate to think someone becomes terrified to drive anywhere unless they go out and buy lots of expensive survival gear. If you happen to have that stuff and feel safer because you keep it in your car, by all means do so--but let's not spread a message that people should be terrified to drive anywhere unless they go out and buy a lot of stuff that really isn't necessary.

A basic first emergency kit is a smart idea, though. And better safe than sorry is a good principle.... but sometimes I think we over do it on this forum. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Caladium; 11-21-2013 at 02:44 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 03:54 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Great posts Happy and Caladium.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:50 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
On a different note, I am learning that the combination of Aruba, the ocean, a great pool, great food has always been awesome but now having discovered Miami Vice to go along with it what more can there be to retirement?

Old 11-21-2013, 05:56 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Now before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm not trying to give anyone grief. Also, I do think a small basic emergency kit is a good thing to have in a car. It's just that sometimes I think we get a little carried away in this forum.

A basic first emergency kit is a smart idea, though. And better safe than sorry is a good principle.... but sometimes I think we over do it on this forum. Just sayin'.
Sometimes I think some of us overreact on this forum. It's just "take it or leave it" commentary.

My car is repacked, compactly; will no longer think about it. Thanks Ani and Happy!

Time for a nice glass of wine. Tuborg, did you say Miami Vice?

Old 11-21-2013, 07:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
I think it is great to exchange ideas and suggestions. In this chat thread, the topics can change in a flash, but when folks find something captures their imagination or they have something to share . . . it is often quite helpful.

If it doesn't apply, it doesn't apply, lol.

I appreciated the suggestions about emergency items. I should think if it is not applicable to someone's situation, it would just be passing conversation - til the subject changes again.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:31 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sometimes I think some of us overreact on this forum. It's just "take it or leave it" commentary.

My car is repacked, compactly; will no longer think about it. Thanks Ani and Happy!

Time for a nice glass of wine. Tuborg, did you say Miami Vice?
Miami Vice a drink I recommend

Old 11-22-2013, 12:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Miami Vice a drink I recommend
Going to have to consult my bartender's guide . . . sounds like a drink I should get familiar with, lol

Old 11-22-2013, 02:40 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
A warning about plastic tubs in ani.
We had a few stacks of them in the basement a couple of years ago that simply floated when the cellar got flooded (about 12 inches). Being stacked, any the top ones fell off when the bottom one started swimming and since they are waterproof lids, you can guess the rest.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:21 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Sorry if I became a bit of a downer back there. I guess all the talk recently about dreading daylight savings and fearing winter and feeling unable to leave your house if it's dark and feeling you need a guns and hatchets in your car, etc. has got me depressed. And that has me defensive because I don't like feeling depressed--I'm used to being the cheerful sort.

I guess I've just hit that weird moment when you realize that you're old now. Boy that thought can hit you like a ton of bricks. I know it's just a matter of learning to rethink old habits, but I don't want to.

And what's also happening is doubts about the wisdom of moving here. Did we make a huge mistake retiring to a place that has winter weather? In my 50's winter was no big deal, but the more I read this forum the more I wonder if winter is going to be a big deal in a few more years and that has me a bit on edge, too. Is this just normal apprehension, sort of like buyer's remorse? Maybe. But boy if that's what it is, I've never had it quite so bad. I've moved lots of times, and always adjusted. I dunno, maybe it's a sudden fear of getting old? Or maybe it's more like a fear of how we change when we get old? Yikes, whatever it is it's hitting me big time, and it's the thought of winter driving when you get old that really has me down. Something about the thought that I will now need to put boots and blankets and hatchets and a gun in my car because I'm old now and that means I'm likely to drive over an embankment just kind of got to me. Normally I would read all this dread about winter and be able to laugh and not take it to heart. This year, it kinda got to me--sorry 'bout that, but that's what happened.

What was I thinking moving here? We should have moved to San Diego, no matter how much it costs. I want to live where old people go out in the dark all times of the year without worrying about it one bit. How can I grow old in a place where the weather means I'll feel trapped from November to March?

Right now I'm up at 4:30. So since I'm up and I don't want to wake anyone else up, I'm headed out to the fire station to work out at their gym (that's the great thing about fire stations, they're always open). And I'll make pancakes for the crew and visit with them, and watch the sunrise. And take a long nap after I get home. I so love this way of life. I don't want to miss out on things like this because I'm scared to drive in the dark in the winter.

Maybe I should just go make pancakes for the crew, and stop worrying about how things will be in a few years. Live in the present. I should realize that I've already made good friends here--things are going well, life here will be good. Then again.... Aruba? Oh, that does sound nice. Is it too late to change our minds and move there?

Last edited by Caladium; 11-22-2013 at 03:54 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 03:57 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Cal,don't worry. It was bound to hit you sooner or later but it's not a big deal. Sounds like you are the type who can face reality and deal with it.

As for the not driving after dark or in the cold--and whatever else, that's nothing to do with age. I've carried emergency supplies in my car since I was about 30 and hated it when it got dark early too. Once the sun goes down in my part of the country and it's getting towards winter, it becomes cold, and not too many people enjoy that at any age.

This has more to do with living in the north than anything else. Twenty years ago I remember leaving a friend's house before 4:00 pm in winter so I could get home before the darkness hit, bringing with it the freezing cold that results when the sun has gone down. That nice warm, bright sunlight feels good at any age.

As for moving to the wrong place--is any place perfect? I wouldn't want to be living in Aruba when the hurricanes hit. It wouldn't be too good for friends coming to visit me unless they could hop on a plane. Every place has its upsides and downsides.

I'm not liking New England right about now. Too cold and too dark. For Christmas we'll be at my sister's in VA Beach and it can't come soon enough!!! I hope your pancakes came out good and that you're not getting our freezing and dark too early kind of weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement