Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 06:49 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I thought you reminded me of Hyacinth!
I knew a guy who was just like Hyacinth ... he was a single gay guy in his late '50's that owned a beautiful - and I mean "Better Homes & Gardens" beautiful - Center Hall Colonial house in Plainfield, New Jersey. The guy was just a school teacher, but a savvy investor so he was most assuredly upper-middle-class. He was full of pretense and had aristocratic "airs." Believe it or not, he actually threw formal dinner parties for his teacher colleagues who were amazed by the size and elegance of his home and the excruciatingly superb taste he had in china, crystal, linens, flowers, etc. He was the male Martha Stewart.

The guy retired, sold the house just before the Great Recession struck, and bought a pricy apartment in Manhattan's Upper West Side.

I throw a dinner party two or three times a year, and I hope I'm not being pretentious about it. The fact is, most of my friends are les femmes d'un certain age and owning a Victorian house I try to make it ROMANTIC for my lady guests ... roses, candles, the big crystal chandelier dimmed, my mother's silver, etc. Despite this, I'm just blue-collar working class Officer Clark and the old dump will never make "Better Homes & Gardens."

Old 02-09-2014, 09:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I knew a guy who was just like Hyacinth ... he was a single gay guy in his late '50's that owned a beautiful - and I mean "Better Homes & Gardens" beautiful - Center Hall Colonial house in Plainfield, New Jersey. The guy was just a school teacher, but a savvy investor so he was most assuredly upper-middle-class. He was full of pretense and had aristocratic "airs." Believe it or not, he actually threw formal dinner parties for his teacher colleagues who were amazed by the size and elegance of his home and the excruciatingly superb taste he had in china, crystal, linens, flowers, etc. He was the male Martha Stewart.

The guy retired, sold the house just before the Great Recession struck, and bought a pricy apartment in Manhattan's Upper West Side.

I throw a dinner party two or three times a year, and I hope I'm not being pretentious about it. The fact is, most of my friends are les femmes d'un certain age and owning a Victorian house I try to make it ROMANTIC for my lady guests ... roses, candles, the big crystal chandelier dimmed, my mother's silver, etc. Despite this, I'm just blue-collar working class Officer Clark and the old dump will never make "Better Homes & Gardens."
I'll send you my address so I may be added to the guest list. And, like Hyacinth, don't forget to put the stamp on the envelope straight, using a ruler.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 PM

30,516 posts, read 16,213,477 times
It's not the house, it's the host (or hostess).

You sound like a good one, Clark Park.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
I am definitely NOT looking forward to what will likely be our most significant snowstorm of the season.

Predictions on amounts are varying but seem to be anywhere from 4 to 16 inches total accumulation, depending on which website one checks.

I did load up garbage today to dump on the way in to town for some groceries but forgot to grab the stuff that's due back at the library on Thursday. Can't decide whether I should make another trip tomorrow to return the items or take the hit in late fees and wait until after the storm has cleared to make another trip to town.

Just did the math and the round trip would cost about $4.25 in gas vs. 30 cents a day in late fees, think I'll wait a few days until I need to do some additional stuff in town on Saturday.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
I heard the east was going to get hit again and we have never ending -zero temps. This really sucks.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:13 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
We can't even escape by plane unless we want to risk spending hours in an airport, maybe sleeping there overnight. It's just as stressful thinking of getting your flight reservations cancelled as it is to sit waiting for the snow to dump on you again.

Snow>>>>>>STAY AWAY!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I am definitely NOT looking forward to what will likely be our most significant snowstorm of the season.

Predictions on amounts are varying but seem to be anywhere from 4 to 16 inches total accumulation, depending on which website one checks.

I did load up garbage today to dump on the way in to town for some groceries but forgot to grab the stuff that's due back at the library on Thursday. Can't decide whether I should make another trip tomorrow to return the items or take the hit in late fees and wait until after the storm has cleared to make another trip to town.

Just did the math and the round trip would cost about $4.25 in gas vs. 30 cents a day in late fees, think I'll wait a few days until I need to do some additional stuff in town on Saturday.
Phone the library or go online to renew.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
^^^^^^^^^^^

Add sleet to the plea.

I am SO f'ing over it!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I heard the east was going to get hit again and we have never ending -zero temps. This really sucks.
The South seems to be getting it much worse than Western New England. I can't believe what's happening in Georgia and other southern states. We have had minimal snow and nearly no ice, no power outages (TG). We have had brutal cold though. This is the first winter since we've heated with wood (18 yrs) that we've had to supplement with furnace. Those who heat with gas are not much better off than those with oil. What's happening in the South is a worry for the future; is this the trend of the future? Are we entering an age of extreme climate shifts? I heard one climate guru say something like that global warming may be a misnomer, that the particulate matter from pollution in the atmosphere around earth is blocking the strength of the sun and causing these frigid conditions. Not sure how that theory holds up in the really hot summers we continue to get.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 AM

For the heck of it I just googled "climate change block sun" and came up with a huge surprise. I'm seeing dozens of articles about how scientists are planning to block the sun with simulated volcanos and spaceships surrounding earth! Now how do you suppose that would affect our winters? I can't wait to read to see what they're cooking up. Looks like the boomers may be leaving earth just in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement