Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Ani, I share your frustration, DH needs a hip replacement which will never happen, he is afraid of docs and sees on TV all day 'Had a hip replaced? Cal 1-800-LAWYER'

Today he could barely walk and went back to bed at eleven. My heart breaks for him.
Oh, shoot! I hate docs too. Luckily I've discovered that Valium is my friend, and makes medical stuff tolerable. I'll eventually need at least one hip replacement and I am *not* looking forward to it, but when my hip interferes with my quality of life I'll be taking as much Valium as I need. Might that work for your DH?

Old 02-18-2014, 11:10 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Thanks, odd, finally someone who gets it. He had tendon surgery on his hand and they screwed it up, it was when he was young so that was it for him and docs. He does go to the chiro which does afford some relief which we know for a fact because when I got sick we skipped it for four weeks and he couldn't even lie down on the table.

He's been drinking the recipe for relief, but does not start until five. I have been gifted pain meds which he will take once in awhile. When he is eligible for Medicare (March 1) we will go that route.

On a lighter note...........

Old 02-18-2014, 12:35 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
That's a church I could tolerate.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:58 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
With bright sunshine today I went out and did some chopping and shoveling of snow at the end of the driveway and got it clear. I also cleared away more of the snow around the mailbox so the driver can get close to it. Then I went on poop patrol and cleaned up the narrow path the I'd shoveled out for the dogs the other day. I used a broom to knock some of the snow off the edge of the roof of the shed. It was fun seeing big chunks dropping off.

I even opened the garage door and got the suburban out, ran up to the post office and dropped some DVD's back in the mail to Netflix and stopped in the village market for some munchies and last Thursday's weekly local newspaper and and they still had a big stack left.

I then headed down the road to see if there is access to the dumpsters and things are clear so I can safely load garbage in my vehicle and not be unable to unload it. From the roadway I could see that the creek that runs through my place is running fast and is pretty high already so after a couple more days of melting it will be very swollen. The pond is still iced over but that won't last many more days.

I'm really looking forward to the end of static electricity season, getting zapped even when I pet the dogs.

The sunshine and warmth seems to have made the horses happy since I saw several of them frolicking about along with the goat.

My muck boots kept my feet dry but they don't provide any warmth and I don't even try to get my orthotics in them so it's time to put my feet up and read or watch a DVD, probably fall asleep in the recliner for a bit of a cat nap.

I hope those of you who are still facing more snow can manage to stay safe and sane.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:25 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Oh, shoot! I hate docs too. Luckily I've discovered that Valium is my friend, and makes medical stuff tolerable. I'll eventually need at least one hip replacement and I am *not* looking forward to it, but when my hip interferes with my quality of life I'll be taking as much Valium as I need. Might that work for your DH?
Quote:
Thanks, odd, finally someone who gets it. He had tendon surgery on his hand and they screwed it up, it was when he was young so that was it for him and docs. He does go to the chiro which does afford some relief which we know for a fact because when I got sick we skipped it for four weeks and he couldn't even lie down on the table.

He's been drinking the recipe for relief, but does not start until five. I have been gifted pain meds which he will take once in awhile. When he is eligible for Medicare (March 1) we will go that route.
I belong to a social group for men over 55. We meet in a community center. Often the guys will get into these long detailed discussions about their latest aches, pains, and ailments. Medicine, therapy, doctors are big topics amongst the seniors.

It reminds me when I was a little kid, whenever relatives got together the oldest ones (my great-aunts and great-uncles, etc.) would have these unintentional contests about who was the sickest. I distinctly remember one conversation going like this: "You think you're sick? You happen to be looking at a very sick man! I can't even begin to tell you what's wrong with me!" Then they would brag how much their hospital stays cost or this or that procedure cost. "I was in Jackson Memorial Hospital for just three days and the bill was $3,000! (this was the '60's BTW - Clark) I would have been better off staying three weeks in the Fountainebleau Hotel!!!"

Old 02-19-2014, 10:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I belong to a social group for men over 55. We meet in a community center. Often the guys will get into these long detailed discussions about their latest aches, pains, and ailments. Medicine, therapy, doctors are big topics amongst the seniors.

It reminds me when I was a little kid, whenever relatives got together the oldest ones (my great-aunts and great-uncles, etc.) would have these unintentional contests about who was the sickest. I distinctly remember one conversation going like this: "You think you're sick? You happen to be looking at a very sick man! I can't even begin to tell you what's wrong with me!" Then they would brag how much their hospital stays cost or this or that procedure cost. "I was in Jackson Memorial Hospital for just three days and the bill was $3,000! (this was the '60's BTW - Clark) I would have been better off staying three weeks in the Fountainebleau Hotel!!!"
LOL LOL. I love the quotes. I needed a good laugh today. It's another dull grey one, no sun, just blah. I'm upstairs sorting my better work samples from way back when and putting them into plastic sleeves in 3-ring notebooks (who will care, honestly, after I'm gone?? but what if I need a job before I die?). I managed to get a heaping table of photos mixed in with all kinds of other stuff cleared off, in neat piles on....another table.

"You think you're burned out? You have no idea what I'm going through!"

Old 02-19-2014, 10:32 AM

negirl, still plugging away at those clippings! You must have written more than the two testaments in your lifetime!

HIW, thanks for the compliment on the photo. I was recently chatting with a group in Alabama, they were telling me how they have a 'church' gun, a handgun suitable for carrying to church. How cool is that?

Shoveled out the driveway in front, DH is plowing up in back of the barn. I am having him leave all the snow in front of the shop that is in back of the house so when it rains we will not get water in the basement.

Snow just started out there, very light. I am hoping the brunt of the storm stays south of us.

Have a great day, all, we only get one at a time.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:56 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,646 times
My sister is counting down the days till her retirement. Twelve more weeks. She already knows what she will be doing. She's going to be a part-time nanny during the school year.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
HIW, thanks for the compliment on the photo. I was recently chatting with a group in Alabama, they were telling me how they have a 'church' gun, a handgun suitable for carrying to church. How cool is that?
I didn't know where you stood. I'm glad that we agree.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:59 AM

Oh, yeah, give me my bible, gun and flag everyday. My BFF just got her concealed carry permit, no small feat in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement