Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 08:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times

Advertisements

One of the desirable qualities of hostas is that they grow and thrive in the deep shade. If you need a plant that is a ground cover in a shady woodland garden, they do well when nearly everything else - even grass - dies.

Hostas do produce flowers late in the season ... spikes of bluish or lilac flowers, not showy but pretty nonetheless.

Finally there are so many varieties of hostas. They are quite ornamental. Everything from greenish yellow to lime green to emerald green to very bluish green. Some have a white stripe down the middle, others might have a whitish border, still others have a ruffled leaf.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:09 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
I hope the changing of the wardrobes brings Spring mojo!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:26 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
One of the desirable qualities of hostas is that they grow and thrive in the deep shade. If you need a plant that is a ground cover in a shady woodland garden, they do well when nearly everything else - even grass - dies.

Hostas do produce flowers late in the season ... spikes of bluish or lilac flowers, not showy but pretty nonetheless.

Finally there are so many varieties of hostas. They are quite ornamental. Everything from greenish yellow to lime green to emerald green to very bluish green. Some have a white stripe down the middle, others might have a whitish border, still others have a ruffled leaf.
Before transplanting I had a ton of Hosta and loved them. Since transplanting I have sun that can reach virtually anywhere even under trees and perhaps most importantly deer and other critters that can make a Hosta brunch.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Love my hostas. They are the only thing, other than one variety of fern, that I can get to winter and come back in spring at this mountin house (in deep shade areas). I have many varieties and love the way they spark up the dark areas in the forest around our house.

The deer love them, too so they are often munched on when I wake up in the mornings, lol.
Bada Bing!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:31 AM

One of the things I have really enjoyed about Facebook is being able to see the great differences in weather this winter as seen through the postings of friends and family nationwide. This weekend was a perfect example as folks shared weather from coast to coast and North to South. Really cool watching a storm as it passes across the country and how folks are reacting. Lots of apologies and commitment not to post warm weather posters this weekend considering what folks up North are dealing with. The California floods are a sight to behold as the Mid Atlantic freezes from.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:39 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
blech, weather. TuborgP that does sound pretty cool, though, 'watching' other folks' weather on FB.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:56 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
One of the things I have really enjoyed about Facebook is being able to see the great differences in weather this winter as seen through the postings of friends and family nationwide. This weekend was a perfect example as folks shared weather from coast to coast and North to South. Really cool watching a storm as it passes across the country and how folks are reacting. Lots of apologies and commitment not to post warm weather posters this weekend considering what folks up North are dealing with. The California floods are a sight to behold as the Mid Atlantic freezes from.
Anyone in a warm idyllic place who posts about it is banned.

More on the way for us, and nonstop cold. I bet the Florida realtors are hopping.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:24 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
I have hostas in NY and love them as do the deer. One day they are tall and the flowers are waving in the wind, the next day it looks like a shear was taken to them. I have a very shady yard, so have sweet woodruff, trillium, jack in the pulpit, fern and othe woodland type plants. One sunny corner with cone flowers, Black-eyed Susan, spiderwort, a huge stand of bee balm, and a cold tolerant dwarf bamboo that is 6x6.
I've been looking at bamboos here in Fl, good grief, there are clumping ones that grow a hundred feet tall, I'm looking in the 25-40 foot range. I had no idea there were so many different ones.
I passed the plant/garden gene to my son and we love to spend an afternoon at the nurseries here.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

More on the way for us, and nonstop cold. I bet the Florida realtors are hopping.
Even if have entered a self imposed ban on references to yesterday's warmth or beaches or anything involving weather. Even showing three inch snow fall when in comparison.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Travel Agents, I read this yesterday it is viral and multiple news sources now.
Winter-weary Americans plead: Get me out of here | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Quote:
All over the Midwest and the East Coast, travel agents are being inundated with a simple request: Get me out of here. And travelers fortunate enough to have escaped are begging hotels to let them stay a little longer.

Because they know how miserable people are, warm-weather destinations in California, Arizona and Florida have stepped up their enticements. Trains and billboards in Chicago have been plastered with ads showing beaches and pool scenes. In Philadelphia, one promoter put fiberglass mannequins dressed in flip flops, tank tops and shorts atop taxis with their arms outstretched — a whimsical inducement to "fly" south.
Quote:
The inability to find a flight, afford a trip or get time off from work has sent a surge of customers to businesses at home that can offer even a short escape from the cold, such as tanning salons.

"We're getting a lot of people coming in here to warm up," said Kirstin Leffew, the manager of Bronze Bay Tanning in Pendleton, Ind. "They want the beds that have been used the most, the ones that are nice and hot."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement